Setting up an FTP Server.......

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
AMVUserII
Org Profile

Setting up an FTP Server.......

Post by AMVUserII » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:52 am

Yea kinda like the one Waldo has running how would i go about doing that?

I have Bulletproof FTP and i'm somewhat familiar with CuteFTP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

danielwang
Village Idiot
Org Profile

Post by danielwang » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:43 am

First, you get a nice fat juicy OC3 from Sprint or Verio (oh yeah a cable modem will do) and then go out to CompUSA and get a dependable metacluster. Something like an SGI will do, but you can use a bunch of desktops ^^.

Install a pirated version of Windows2000 Advanced Server or Linux which is free... setup an FTP server. You can store everything on your drive or use a symbolic reference mapping to share it over the network. If you're sharing using a mapping panel it's even easier, you can share it directly like:
share /localhost/etc/passwd
or in windows
share \\127.0.0.1\admin$
It is not reccodmended to use other programs or to use a symbolic drive map such as Map network Drive. This server should be dedicated or no one will come. Get a cable or DSL service with no downtime and a static IP. And, of course, a server room, or a closet padded with rubber on the door:

I could NEVER sleep with my servers turned on in the closet, the damn rck fans kept we awake so I just pushed the power button nd got some rest. You don't want to do that. Put it in the basement. In a nice room. And a K4 rack, definitely.

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:54 am

uh huh....seems complicated

well I have a cable modem as for a metacluster i don't know what that is....so i'd have to look in to getting that do you know how much that is?

Windows2000Advanced Server I can get.

A mapping panel? hmn.......how would I get that?

static IP huh....hmn.....

well looks like alot, but I can try.

Beef
Org Profile

Post by Beef » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:39 pm

I remember trying to set up a ftp with bulletproof..... it did not work at all, so I got a different program and it worked ^_^
http://www.sakkakustudios.com - Witness the Illusion
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=16354" target="_blank" class="postlink">ORG Profile</a>

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:43 pm

Well, to set up an FTP server on your own you need:

1) A freeware FTP server like GuildFTP

2) A decent connection (cable may work)

3) If you are to get serious and offer a 24/7 service a static IP. This means that the address of your computer (the funny numbers like 65.65.65.65) will never change otherwise other people cannot find you anymore.

4) A minimal of research on how servers work (virtual paths and so on)

5) You don't need Windows 2000 Advanced Server for that
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:44 pm

I forgot... this topic should go into the off topic forum ;)
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:03 pm

if your getting advanced server to begin with you can set up a cluster and run the FTP server off of that as well as i belive that advanced server has those services, if not i think you can add them easily enough. A metacluster is just a bunch fo computers that work and function as one. Many ppl use linux in a beowolf(i know i didn't spell that right) cluster for that kind of app. Win2k is beafy so i would recomend linux, though it might give you more headaches. Being a 2k man myself you can do it entirely through advanced server.....I don't realy see the need for multiple machines unless you are planning on running a very high demand server. You could allways limit connections anyway through 2k easily enough and if you are running it through a cable modem i wouldn't worry about getting that much demand.

If your computer is the only one using the cable connection it makes things easier. You can use one of those free dynamic domain services to keep unpdating if you got a dynamic ip. If you share it through a gateway/router, it makes things a little mroe complicated. As you need to redirect ports to the correct machine running the ftp server and figure out some way to get the ip from the router to update the dynamic domain name service. So far the only solution that I have been able to find is make a win2k server machine act as the router as it will have the ip for your house and use that machine as a NAT router and update the dynamic domain service. Then use DNS on that machine to resolve FQDN for you internal network. So if you got a domain name like myhouse.dhs.org you can make the domain name for the ftp server ftp and then access it by using the name ftp.myhouse.dhs.org. But at this point if you replace your router you probally need a dhcp server unless you specify all the ips manualy which you could do. If you want more info....you can send me a private message or contact me on any of the mediums in my profile.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:25 pm

hmn........Thanks for the input guys,

But just curious whats the prefered FTP utility for setting up an FTP server?

Thanks,

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:25 pm

hmn........Thanks for the input guys,

But just curious whats the prefered FTP utility for setting up an FTP server?

Thanks,

nailz
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:35 pm

LOL @ danielwang
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

Return to “General AMV”