Second Instrumentality: Around The World in 80 Minutes

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:37 pm

And, oh, PS - I would LOVE to work with Suez, Bombay or Calcutta - in fact, those are probably the ones I'm primarily interested in. Suez shouldn't be a massive problem, considering it is part of the Arab world and is related to ancient Egypt. Those two have some exposure in anime. India's more of a problem for footage, but there is a lot of unused potential in Indian music. I think if we get more lenient on visual locations, I might just find some really trippy footage and make a 'far out' AMV to some Indian music :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Muyo_Ryu
Org Profile

Post by Muyo_Ryu » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm really working hard on the whole Coco Lee - Inuyasha thingy, even though I do know Inuyasha doesn't fit the Hong Kong slot. I mean, the idea seemed right the time I first thought of it, but now that I watch the deal, except for the song being in cantonese ( and yes, Coco Lee is a singer, so of couse, she sings ... aka ... there are lyrics in the song ... ) lol .. theres nothing that really symbolises Hong Kong in the vid. Yet again, I'm stuck. If this doesn't work, I dunno what else I can do.

*Tranforms into Shinji*

Oh my god .. i'm alone ... in a dark room .. facing my own thoughts. GET ME OUT OF HERE !
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza

rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:27 am

I know way back when (page 1 of the topic) I said I was iffy on if I could commit to the project. I'd like to say that I am no longer iffy, and I've been working on a segment for Paris, using La Noyee from the Amelie soundtrack and footage from Nadia, Kiki's Delivery Service, Atlantis, and Spirit of Wonder (along the lines of the original post). Hooray!

If you are concerned about finding footage for the various cities, please remember that rose4emily did mention that animation from all over the world is permitted, as long as one segment is predominantly anime. Example: the Triplets of Belleville (sp?). (Sadly, others escape me at the moment.)

IMHO, genre-jumping could make the project more interesting. Going from Nadia to Hellsing to Ghost in the Shell to whatever could make some really cool transitions. I'm really looking forward to the completed project.

Just my 2 cents (1.34 after taxes)
CPFuller
To paraphrase one Mr. Cool James, please refrain from referring to it as a revival, I've been lurking for ages.

Al'x
Org Profile

Post by Al'x » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:51 pm

Okay... even though my "AMV skillz" might not match up to a lot of the editors, I got a great idea that I want to use. Hopefully I won't be disappointing anybody by "stealing" London. :(

I am assuming there is non-Japanese animation allowed like it says in original post.

City: London
Animation: The Great Mouse Detective
Music: Sacro-Monte (by Joaquin Turina) (you haven't heard of it)

Reason for choice: The Great Mouse Detective is a great movie, and a really great showcase of London. Also, it contains great chase scenes, and my music (Sacro-Monte) is very suited to chase scenes.

The idea behind the video will be the conflict between Ratigan and Basil from the movie. I am also going to try and showcase London as much as I can (considering the idea of the project).

Coincidentally, I think Around the World in 80 Days has a chase scene in London. At least... the parody movie by the 3 Stooges does. ;)

Hopefully like Otohiko says this will pick up more when rose4emily is done that Animasia project (even though I still think the current plan is somewhat limiting to creators)

Al'x
Org Profile

Post by Al'x » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:35 pm

I completed editing the video... no replies in here since a week ago when I started this thing! :?

rose4emily: It didn't really turn out how I expected... I'm not sure if you would like it for this project or not. PM me or something so I can show a "rough draft" to you before I finish the video... I don't really wanne go through the hassle of refining and encoding the video and stuff if it isn't good enough to be in the project. ;)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:41 pm

Oh, darn, sorry there - we're still 'headless' here, aren't we.

The instrumentality project is getting finished up though and I hope this will soon start moving somewhere, and now that there's tracks... it's good to see there's continued interest and activity even without a clear direction yet.

And yea, I think maybe a good idea would be to loosen up the guidelines for the project. I think that's what made Instrumentality so interesting, and I think it has potential to work here, at the risk of diluting the concept a bit... :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:56 pm

Ok, this is pretty much unofficial (and I mean unofficial), but rose4emily told me awhile ago that he might not be able to run this second instrumentality project. He mentioned that the first one REALLY took a lot of his time and resources (plus adding the amount of computer problems he had putting it together) so I don't think he wants to do it again. He also mentioned that anyone who is willing to run this project may do so.

Of course wait until rose4emily makes the official call; I'm just giving you guys the heads up (in a very unofficial matter).
ImageImage

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:00 pm

Oh, I'm well-aware of that. But he also said he'll still help out in particular with the FTP and such. Hell, if I get decent internet access (soon, I hope) and some competence in things important to a project (compression, putting stuff together, organization), I'll gladly take it myself. Though that's mainly conditional on my bandwith and said FTP space.

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:01 am

It is most definately official: I'm looking for a new manager for this second project. I'd like to devote what little free time I have this year to making some progress in my cross-platform open-source (at least after there is source worth opening) audiovisual editing suite "Hikari" (I'm sick of open-source projects named after their commercial predecessors, or such "lame" scemes as recursive acronymns - and thought Japanese was trendier than Latin, the only other language I know any decent number of words in). That, I believe, is a better way for me to contribute to the AMV and amateur video editing community as a whole.

Then there's the little matter of how I didn't do all that great a job of directing the first project. Servers going down, parts of the project (many of them mine) being completed way behind schedule, trying to decide everything by referendum... hardly an efficient operation. This time, you should really have someone who has either a considerable degree of experience or a lot of free time, preferably both. I had neither, and am afraid that it shows in the fact that the first project is still incomplete.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

Al'x
Org Profile

Post by Al'x » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:01 pm

Is this over... ?

I kinda want to know because I have like 10 gigs of stuff on my hard drive related to this and it would be nice if I can delete it all.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”