Second Instrumentality: Around The World in 80 Minutes

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:37 pm

I'd still really like to do Suez or one of the indian cities, but I definitely need some properly-flavoured footage :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Muyo_Ryu
Org Profile

Post by Muyo_Ryu » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:51 pm

I'll defenatly look into that song Tsunami Jones. Savin me once again huh :P Sorry for bothering you all, my first time in an actual big project. The italian slot is offical free.

Unless everyone rushes into taking Hong Kong while I get the proper song, would it be asking much to put hong kong on hold? or maybe one can pm me if I miss his post, and ask before taking the slot. i would really appriciate it.

Sorry once again for any inconvenience. But I promise i'll give the editing my all :) !
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza

Rosie-chan
Org Profile

Post by Rosie-chan » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 pm

Another footage sugestion: "Chinese Ghost Story". Havent seen it myself although it's supposed to be good. It's a Hong Kong animation by the Chinese directior who did the orignal live-action version, animated by the studio that did Lain. It tends to be classified as anime although it's not strictly Japanese, but non-anime footage is allowed for this project anyway. I don't know where in China it's set but I doubt it really maters.

And while the kingdom of Konan isn't exactly Shanghai, Fushigi Yugi is set in a mythical ancient China...

Suez...I don't supose Moracan St. from the Cowboy Beebop movie is close enough? ;p The only other idea I can think of would be "Reign", that show about Alexander the Great that was showing on Adult Swim a while back and would include a decent amount of Egyptian footage.

I'm very tempted to run with an idea...take Castle of Cagliostro, pretend it's "Cagliostro, Italy" and have the video be a somewhat comic one to the tune of Tchaicovsky's "Sleeping Beauty". I'd be more tempted if I wasn't still trying to learn how to make my first video.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:09 pm

Footage suggestions:

Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie since it's about Sakura and her friends going to Hong Kong (and it's more modernized).

Hmmm, the only Indian footage I can think up of is that Indian guy in Neia_7, but I doubt that wouldn't be enough. :?
ImageImage

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:11 pm

Indeed, I was thinking that too.

Is there anything, you know, trippy and beatle-esque-sort-of-indian at least, that you think could go well with traditional Indian music? :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Muyo_Ryu
Org Profile

Post by Muyo_Ryu » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:48 pm

I am thinking ..

Slot : Hong Kong
Song : A Love Before Time - Coco Lee
Anime : Inuyasha, A Love That Trancends Time.

*Spoilers of both AMV and the actual Inuasha movie*

Showing Kagome in tears as she attempts to kill Inuyasha while thinking about his relationship with herself, and the one he has had with Kikyou.

What do you people think?
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:59 pm

If you guys need some footage (for like India) there's always the Street Fighter 2 t.v. series. They go all over the world in that, including china, india, I believe San francisco, and others.

rogueintellectproductions
Org Profile

Post by rogueintellectproductions » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:56 am

Um, this might be a reach, but you could use the desert exploration scenes in Love Hina (Spring Movie) for the Suez - it could be justified archaeologically, anyway (if you can get past the goofy parts).
To paraphrase one Mr. Cool James, please refrain from referring to it as a revival, I've been lurking for ages.

Al'x
Org Profile

Post by Al'x » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:15 pm

I don't want to be negative or anything... but the way this is being planned now, I don't think it will work. It is much too restrictive. This post has been around since May and only Hong Kong and Yokohama (the two that are easy to find footage for) have been taken. Although you could say the lack of interest os due to Animasia being incomplete, I would guess that because Hong Kong and Yokohama have been taken it is a lack of footage that is holding people back.

The biggest reason I think it won't work is the close association with the book. The book showcases the cities that were big in the 1800's. I can't see someone working with Bombay, Calcutta, or Singapore. Suez would probably end up showcasing Egyptian mythology. I know of not a single anime that contains these cities, let alone one that I would consider for a video. Also, the videos will be containing tons of different themes that vary from the book.

Another thing I do not favour so much is the lack of a general plan. All we know is "use these cities and music associated with them". We could have, for example, an Inuyasha love vid in Hong Kong, a Read or Die flight battle over New York, and a Hellsing vampire combat in the Tower of London. I'm sure these ideas could work as videos, but they don't really have much in common.

I think this would work a lot better if the idea of staying loyal to the book at all is left behind. Anybody can choose any city they want if nobody else has taken it already. Of course, a rule of no Japan and no China would probably have to be made or everybody will be doing them (of course the two that "claimed" them can do Yokohama and Hong Kong). I would also suggest that towns and villages, or any place where people live in numbers be counted as a "city".

The other suggestion that I'd like to make is, make it a rule that the segments made for the project must showcase their setting as a part of the video. Basically, no making a video about a relationship that just happens to take place in some random city.

Hopefully you find some of the suggestions acceptable/useful.

It the project takes into account some of these comments... I would definately be more interested in it. I might even do a segment, although I think maybe my editing skills and software are not worthy compared to the others that have been posting here.

PS: What is meant by "instrumental"? I think Coco Lee uses lyrics, and so does the song Otohiko mentioned on the first page.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:32 pm

Al'x wrote:The book showcases the cities that were big in the 1800's. I can't see someone working with Bombay, Calcutta, or Singapore.
Actually, in relative and objective terms, these cities are much, much bigger now than they were in the 1800's. It's more a question of limited anime exposure for them - which is a bit restrictive.
PS: What is meant by "instrumental"? I think Coco Lee uses lyrics, and so does the song Otohiko mentioned on the first page.
Well, we're still sort of debating whether this should be a full-blown Instrumental project per se. Once we get to it, I think we can work it out to be something more like a 'world music' project, if instrumentals get too restrictive.

Which brings me to the fact that I think the reason not much is happening with the project yet (other than Tsunami Jones' early entry) is because the first project is in the final stages and we're sort of 'headless' right now. Unless we find us a new 'center' for this, so to say, I think this project still rotates around rose4emily and his FTP. And since both him and his FTP are in 'high Instrumentality gear' right now, I guess that means this project is just in early planning stages.

I'll try to get more active with it, but so far I'm prevented from creative involvement by lack of footage, and from mangament-related input by lack of bandwith.

It's good to see interest/critical suggestions on it though.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”