Time Zones

BogoSort
Org Profile

Time Zones

Post by BogoSort » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:41 am

Just a thought, but perhaps the timezone setting should reflect US time zones. Lots of us in the US don't know the relationship between our time zone and GMT. Even if you can't accomidate for Daylight Savings Time, it might be nice to either have people select what they think their time is, or choose a timezone/location out of the standard lists.

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:53 am

I strongly disagree.
GMT is the standard for the planet, AMVs are not made by only Americans you know.

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:55 am

I agree that GMT is standard for the planet. I was just suggesting that adding the option for selecting timezone that isn't GMT as an alternative for stupid Americans like me.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:58 am

Hey,

You can adjust your timezone in your forum profile (seprate from the site profile, but that will change eventually). If you don't know your timezone offset and are running Windows, get the clock properties, click timezone, and that will tell you. GMT is just the default.

Phade.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:08 am

you had to set you GMT time when you installed windows.....Eastern time is -5 hours GMT...calculate from there.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:19 am

Had I been asking for help on setting the time zone properly, I would've posted my question to the Site Help forum of the site. I'm quite aware of working out what the proper GMT offset is for my current time zone. But I was naive and thought that something that might make the site easier for the masses to mess around with might be a good thing to suggest to Phade for the site. The choice of if he thinks that my suggestion is a good idea or not is his.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:31 am

I never said the idea is good or bad, just that i think more people know GMT than you give credit to. My example was just there to show that people have delt with GMT time. I didn't quite comprehend your post as i'm a "stupid ameican" too which is why I gave an example.....sorry.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:32 am

Oh yeah, since I live on the East Coast, and don't live in that wacky subset of Indiana, I'm in Daylight Savings Time. Which would make it GMT-4 and not GMT-5 like you're saying. But this fits well into my point, which is that if people are having any sort of difficulty, adding information in an appropiate manner could be a solution.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”