Animania Con Ja Nai XI Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Animania Con Ja Nai XI Contest

Post by Kalium » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:37 pm

Well, with several editors on staff, the anime club at the University of Michigan decided to try an AMV contest at the yearly large event. (Translation: I wanted to, and the rest of the staff is letting me.)

The full rules are linked at the bottom (contains submission information), as well as the submission form.

Perferably, submit the video via ftp . Snail mail is possible, but less reliable. NO VHS TAPES! (I don't even have a VCR, OK?)

Because resuming uploads is a little tricky with the server and settings I'm using, incomplete uploads will be deleted automatically. So if your upload is interrupted, you'll have to try again. Sorry.

Formats: In short, if I can play it, it's all good. But be reasonable, please. I don't want to deal with multi-gig HuffYUV submissions, OK? MPEG and MPEG2 are fine, as well as DivX, XviD, or other common codecs in an AVI are fine. I'd prefer not to have to handle Makostra or Ogg files. Also, I'm not about to handle Quicktime or Real files. Please note that I may transcode the videos if they don't playback properly or if they are in a problemtic format (for me) like Ogg or Makostra.

Content Guidelines: If it's Org-friendly, then it's fine. Anything else is subject to potential rejection.

Submissions: I would prefer relatively new videos, OK? Be nice, and be reasonable.

Contest itself: The categories are action, comedy, drama/serious (includes romance), and the generic other.

Deadline: October 30. (I know it's pretty close, but this is a college club thing, and the date of the event was just confirmed today)

Awards & Prizes: There will be a winner in each category. Other awards may or may not occur as the judges see fit. I haven't figured out prizes yet, but I'll post an update when I do. If you're there, though, I may allow a short acceptence speech.

The event itself will be on November 6, in Ann Arbor, on the campus of the University of Michigan. More details on the rest of the event will be made availible as it nears and as it's planned.

The full rules (including submission information) are here, and the submission form is here.

Brsrk
Org Profile

Post by Brsrk » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:09 pm

Woohoo!!!

/me can't wait to see the entries
Pwolf wrote:that music was way to "happy" for an anime as dramatic as the kenshin ova... your an evil evil person :P :up: Pwolf
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87528

greenjinjo
Org Profile

Post by greenjinjo » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:21 pm

I would gladly submit anything to a University of Michigan contest :D

Too bad about that loss to Notre Dame last weekend :(

But I'll submit to this as well, Go Blue!
godix wrote:Free sausage. No conditions. No tricks. To the best of my ability I will give anyone a sausage on anything they ask for. I'm not kidding here, I'll do as many sausage as I can.
Check out my deviantART!

Osakaness
Org Profile

Post by Osakaness » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:28 pm

I'll submit my new his and her/someday's dreamers amv.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:36 pm

Two questions:
Quite a few contests like some black before and after the video, do you want any?

Exactly how tight is this oct 30 deadline? I prefer to submit something new instead of stuff that's been sitting around in my profile but given how slow I've been at editing that might mean that I won't start uploading till 11:59 pm oct 30th.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 pm

Well, I can shove some filler in if I want it, so don't worry about that.

As for how tight the deadline is, well, there's week between deadline and event. I hope to be asleep at midnight on October 30, and busy most of the 31st with other things, so it's not uber-tight, but I've got a limited time frame to work with. Besides, the judges will have to prescreen them somewhere in that week. So I'm not about to abort an upload that's started before the deadline runs out, but I'm not going to allow uploads that don't start until the first (or worse, the second), either. I'm going to need time to get the playlist all sorted out and the like, too.

In short, I'm going to try to be nice with the deadline, but I don't have all that much wiggle room.

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:31 pm

A few questions:

-Concerning submissions via FTP
*Do we wait for the reply from the coordinator that he/she had received the submission form and then upload the video and the submission form?
Or do we just upload them both at the same time via FTP?

-I am thinking of submitting an AMV; but it has around 10 seconds of superimposed non-anime pictures over an anime-cut scene; a-m-v.org seems to have a tendency to accept some non-anime footage in the AMV if it is a limited duration; is my AMV ok to enter this con in this case?

Ive read the rules, but if I have seemed to skip something that might have answered these questions, I'm sorry.
Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:00 am

Unfortunately, there's no way to submit the submission form online. So just upload it with the video. Confirmation comes after the uploads are done.

And, well, a bit of non-anime in the video should be fine.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:35 pm

Addendum on the FTP submission: use active FTP. Passive has trouble with the various firewalls involved, but active seems to work just fine.

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:36 pm

Ok, I believe I successfully entered the form and AMV.
Good luck to everyone
Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

Return to “AMV Contests”