Search Tools Revised

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:01 pm

Or have a list that is updated whenever a new video is added. Something that has about 100 or so amvs. When a new video is uploaded the one on the bottom is taken of the list. Sorta like the new video on the block but with 100 videos listed instead.

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:22 pm

A "video suggestion" function is a rather interesting idea. But I just can't help noticing the fallacy of trying to quantify something that's rather subjective to begin with. Just because I give one particular kind/style of video 5 stars doesn't neccessarily mean I would like others in the same category. It might be a one of a kind that just shines above the rest. Although, it is a very interesting function to add.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:26 pm

It's not done by category - it's done by matching you up to people who liked and disliked the same kinds of videos you did and looking for the differences.

Did you find that the list it gave you were bad suggestions?

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:23 am

I actually found the list contained a lot of videos that were suited to my tastes (aside from a few random ones here and there). And the guy who made the video that it gave as the #1 suggestion seems familiar somehow :
:P

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:47 am

heh you think that's funny - in a beta version of this query it included your own videos and it recommended a bunch of my own to me :)

EBwiz
Org Profile

Post by EBwiz » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:10 am

I can guarentee the accuracy of the Suggestion feature in my case. Alot of ones it found were ones I previously downloaded from direct or indirect links that I happened to love. I didn't need to DL them since I already saw them, but they were in fact there based on my previous downloads. 8)
Founder of Digital Relay and <A HREF="http://digitalrelay.8m.com/arcadia.html">Arcadia Studios</a>
Anime Music Video Advice AKA: Stuff I learned as a Newbie:
- NEVER use Windows Movie Maker
- NEVER Ask dumb questions

cwmonster
Org Profile

Post by cwmonster » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:29 am

I find that the Suggestion feature worked well in my case. Only two videos showed up that I had already seen, the rest were new to me so I checked some out. I enjoyed those that I downloaded and will be going back to the suggestion page very soon. Good job Phade.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:13 am

Hey All,

The suggestion query has been updated so that it runs once per day for each user. This will make the page load much faster now and improve server performance. Since there are 50 results, that should keep you busy for 24 hours. ;-)

There has also been a modification in the algorithm that should yield better results. Let me know how things go.

Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:06 pm

Phade wrote:Hey All,

The suggestion query has been updated so that it runs once per day for each user. This will make the page load much faster now and improve server performance. Since there are 50 results, that should keep you busy for 24 hours. ;-)

There has also been a modification in the algorithm that should yield better results. Let me know how things go.

Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.
OMG PHADE!!!!!!! *Drops Jaw*

This is almost like a yeti sighting!

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:29 pm

Ok, so far, so good with the suggestion query. I've already pulled three or four gems I probably wouldn't have run across on my own. :)

Return to “Site Announcements”