The Side Characters Challenge! ***SPOILERS***

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:50 am

I'll pass on your challenge. I've already made a video using a character that has all of 3 or 4 minutes screentime in Lain. How many obscure characters is one man expected to use?

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Wow, I can't believe so many people responded!

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:06 pm

As the subject line states, I've been a bit floored. This was my first time ever posting in a forum, and I've been a tad surprised by the response. Though I'm grateful for the attention, there was a few things I wanted to mention...

I forgot to add something to the guidelines, although I sort of figured it was a given.

- the song may be cut down if there is not enough available footage to be worked with (like in the case of the Fruits Basket - Fuel - Falls on Me video)

To respond to some of the comments made...

godix - That's very good that you've thought outside the box and already did a video based on a side character. Thank you!

Sousaphonist - What about Oojirou and his crush on Shuuko? That would make a good character profile. Or how about Sai and her little sister? You might have to cut down whatever song you choose, but they would certainly be unique videos.

pinky75910 - Actually, yes, there IS Team Rocket. But also, what about Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny? And there is always short and sweet videos that you could make about any of the people the team (or the twerps, depending on whose side you're looking from ^_^) meets during the episodes. And, as for your second comment, I think a video about the Gung Ho Guns as a whole would be a nice concept if someone could find a good song. As for Fruits Basket, how about a character profile of Momiji? Or Hiro? I didn't find ANY videos that showed them exclusively (except for "A Song for Everyone II," but that detailed many side and main characters.)

Coffee 54 - how about a video game music video then? I'm an avid gamer, but I chose not to list them because some would be very very difficult (if you've played it, then think FFVIII - it has only one cutscene for each of the side characters, and the rest are all Squall and Rinoa)

Muyo_Ryu - Though I personally DO enjoy main characters, I get annoyed quickly when I see the same scenes repeatedly. Ah, Kamui...mmm *drool*.....................oh, um...............I heart Kamui! Sadly, I haven't seen Naruto, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to judging the video by my guidelines. I will watch it, though, despite the fact that I won't know what's going on.

Jasper-Isis - I hadn't seen the Morgan profile video, it must have been made recently; but it was indeed a very good video, if not completely in what my guidelines would state had it been made for that purpose. I also watched the Kana and Hatori video (which I had already downloaded not long ago.) That was also a well-done video. I do have one complaint, though - Kana and Hatori videos are NOT in short supply. I seem to remember downloading quite a few of them. Not all of them were GOOD, mind you, but they were there.

There's something everyone should know. Though I do very much appreciate having those other videos pointed out to me, I don't really want ones that have been already made. I've SEEN those. I want new ones to be made. Also, there's something else I wanted to mention. I download videos in a very systematic way. I do it alphabetically. Even though I've gotten nearly 1200 videos, I'm only on "L" (Love Hina) right now. So, I haven't seen what this site has to offer past that letter yet. At least, not much.

With all that said, I have just a few more comments.

- if you need a suggestion for an appropriate song for a character, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do...
- I'll give you my e-mail address; I would rather be contacted that way. Since no one else e-mails me, it would be a nice filter for people who just want to talk to me about this post and possibly future ones

***dj_ultima_the_great@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your comments, and I hope to attract more people to my challenge!

- dj_ultima_the_great

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm

<<As the subject line states, I've been a bit floored. This was my first time ever posting in a forum, and I've been a tad surprised by the response. Though I'm grateful for the attention, there was a few things I wanted to mention... >>

Welcome to the Forum. If you care to make vid suggestions, by all means, this is the place to be.

<<pinky75910 - Actually, yes, there IS Team Rocket. But also, what about Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny? And there is always short and sweet videos that you could make about any of the people the team (or the twerps, depending on whose side you're looking from ^_^) meets during the episodes. >>

Okay, and what can one say about them in a vid? Those one-ep chars are easily forgettable, and Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, while omni-present, are pretty two-dimensional. What kind of song could you do with that? Those two chars are pretty much doing about the same thing in every ep, don’t show a lot of depth of char. Can’t think how I could make that interesting.

<<And, as for your second comment, I think a video about the Gung Ho Guns as a whole would be a nice concept if someone could find a good song. >>

I’m sure it would. What is Gung Ho Guns? Which second comment?

<<As for Fruits Basket, how about a character profile of Momiji? Or Hiro? I didn't find ANY videos that showed them exclusively (except for "A Song for Everyone II," but that detailed many side and main characters.) >>

Momiji char prof? K, lovely idea – Got a song in mind? What aspect of his char would you want to explore?

<<There's something everyone should know. Though I do very much appreciate having those other videos pointed out to me, I don't really want ones that have been already made. I've SEEN those. I want new ones to be made. >>

The first vid I suggested, my Yu-Gi-Oh vid about Little Yugi. You haven’t seen that. It’s not listed on the org or anywhere else, just in the announcements forum where I’ve been asking for feedback on final polishing before I submit it.

<<- if you need a suggestion for an appropriate song for a character, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do... >>

I’m likely to do a Yu-Gi-Oh vid. I like to do different things, so I’ve put up two funny ygo vids. Fruits Basket, I’m not sure I have enough footage to do lesser known chars, but I could look into getting some if you have an idea in mind. Give me a proper suggestion – give me a char you like and a song. Or any other kind of vid idea/suggestion.

- I'll give you my e-mail address; I would rather be contacted that way. Since no one else e-mails me, it would be a nice filter for people who just want to talk to me about this post and possibly future ones

***dj_ultima_the_great@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your comments, and I hope to attract more people to my challenge!

- dj_ultima_the_great

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:38 pm

Shuuko? Oh...no, not Angelic Layer's Deuses....Serial Experiments Lain's character Deus. He only has like 7 scenes in Lain, though. I'm leaning toward a song already, too....
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Muyo_Ryu
Org Profile

All I wanna say is "They don't really care about us&quo

Post by Muyo_Ryu » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:39 pm

dj_ultima_the_great

I have been following what is said in this thread and it's quite interesting. What do you think if I were to try a music video with multiple side characters to :: Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us Lyrics

Here are the lyrics:

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, aggravation
Everybody allegation
In the suite, on the news
Everybody dog food
Bang bang, shock dead
Everybody's gone mad

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that

Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Do me, Sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, strike me
Don't you black or white me

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me of my pride
Oh, for God's sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy...
Set me free

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
trepidation, speculation
Everybody allegation
Everybody dog food
black man, black mail
Throw your brother in jail

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came
You know I do really hate to say it
The government don't wanna see
But if Roosevelt was livin'
He wouldn't let this be, no, no

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, speculation
Everybody litigation
Beat me, bash me
You can never trash me
Hit me, kick me
You can never get me

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

Some things in life they just don't wanna see
But if Martin Luther was livin'
He wouldn't let this be

Skin head, dead head
Everybody gone bad
Situation, segregation
Everybody allegation
Everybody dog food
Kick me, strike me
Don't you wrong or right me

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

All I wanna say is that
All I wanna say is that

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about
All I wanna say is that

I think with the right effects it would be just fit perfectly for what you had in mind. What do you think people?
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:55 pm

I heartily approve.

Really.

;)

I don't know most of those shows, but it's a great idea. It's a challenge to work with only a bit of screen time, and more variety is ALWAYS good (likewise, I could do without the 832479th retread of the main couple in any series.)

I'm also planning an AMV about the GHGs and other minor Trigunners, but it's quite a bit down the line.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Re: All I wanna say is "They don't really care about us

Post by pinky75910 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:51 pm

Muyo_Ryu wrote:dj_ultima_the_great

I have been following what is said in this thread and it's quite interesting. What do you think if I were to try a music video with multiple side characters to :: Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us Lyrics

I think with the right effects it would be just fit perfectly for what you had in mind. What do you think people?
Don't know the song, but go for it. Sounds like it could be a good idea.

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

This is working better than I hoped!

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:54 am

Yay! More responses! That always makes me a very happy girl. Before I make my replies, I did want to add a few things yet again. I already said this to my new friend "pinky" in an e-mail, but I said I'd post it here, too. I think that I might have been a little misleading when I offered the challenge. Some people may have gotten the impression that I wanted a video about just one side character exclusively, but I wanted to say that I'm okay with a video that has many side characters in it, so long as the pairings/groupings make sense. Well, I guess that's all. On to my replies!

Muyo_Ryu - Wow, there are days when I thought I was the only person who recognized Michael Jackson for who he really is - a musician! I'm glad to see that there's someone who will still consider his music every once in a while. I'm very much still a fan of his music. In fact, I own the 2-CD HIStory album. So, as you may guess, I do know that song and I like it (though "Earth Song" is probably my favorite.) I think it would make a very good music video. I do have one suggestion. This song definitely lends itself to a very gritty-feeling video mood. So, if I were you, I'd stay away from cutsie, fluffiness. I'm not sure if you've seen either one, but Trigun and Serial Experiments Lain would be very fitting in that video. But, of course, you're the video creator, so I would rather you show me your idea before implementing any of mine. Anyway, I wish you Good Luck and Happy AMV-ing!

Sousaphonist - Ack! My bad! It's been quite a while since I've seen Lain, whereas I just finished Angelic Layer (for the third or fourth time) not more than a week ago. So, that anime was fresh in my head I guess and I wasn't even thinking that you could be talking about something else. I don't remember Lain's characters very well (it's been more than a year for sure since I've seen it,) so maybe you could refresh my memory...who or what is Deus?

SarahtheBoring - first off, that seems like an awfully negative user name. We're shiny happy people here on a-m-v.org! ^_^ Okay, enough jokes, I wanted to say that I like your sneaky little links. I did watch the videos that I could (that being the three Utena videos.) I liked them all, especially the one with the Barenaked Ladies lipsynching. I haven't seen Utena (though it is higher on the list of anime I intend on watching) but your videos have made me more interested. I wanted to mention that you have a very good style of editing. Your videos seem to lack a lot of special effects, but since you time your cuts of the clips so well, you don't really need any flashy effects. It's your kind of sense of timing that newbie AMV creators need to take a cue from. Okay, that sentence sounded very backwards, but you get my drift! It's too bad that I couldn't download your Final Fantasy V-IX - Depeche Mode video. The FF games are my favorite games of all time (FF VII being the best.) By the way, when you get around to the Trigun Gung Ho Guns video, be sure to post here again, link me, and I'll check it out. Who knows? I might even leave a review!

As always, Thank You for your comments, Good Luck, and Happy AMV-ing!

- dj_ultima_the_great

PS: for those curious...yes, I DO make AMVs (I have six in total so far and have a seventh in the works), but all of mine are made with Windows Movie Maker II, so that alone should tell you the reason I'm not posting them.

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:00 pm

I know that this seems redundant to post twice in a row, but I forgot that there were some other things I wanted to say yet. After my original post, several people gave me links to videos that they thought fit my guidelines. Well, I DID go and download every last one of them that I could and this is my condensed review for each of them, as by what my guidelines would dictate, had they been made for that purpose.

Corran - well, even before I saw the video, you had already scored brownie points with me because "The World I Know" is on my top ten list of favorite songs of all time. What I wasn't originally sure of was if that song could work with Shinobu. You proved my doubts to be wrong. My first thought after watching your video was something comprised of this: ".........................WOW." I really loved it, and now I have even more of a reason to like that song AND Shinobu. Your video was another perfect example of only showing a main character to further the story of a side character. Great Job! PLEASE keep AMV-ing!!!! ^_^

godix - I watched "Goodbye Cruel World" and wanted simply to say this: very nice. You have a great example of the "short and sweet" video concept. Of course, there really wasn't a lot of footage of her to begin with, but you still made a very nice short video from it.

Marlex - I don't think you posted in response to me, but Corran suggested your video, so maybe you'll see this sometime. That was a very innovative thought, using manga stills of Shinobu and sliding into the anime. I'm usually very against using stills in videos (if only because many people do it wrong/not very good,) but you showed the right way to do it. Newbies who want to use stills in their videos could take cues from you easily. You know, "The Middle" and a Shinobu video is such a natural combination, that I'm surprised only you thought of it. The song is absolutely perfect for her character. Very well done!

Muyo_Ryu - I THINK that this video (Naruto - Remy Zero - Save Me) would have fit under my guidelines had it been made for that purpose, but I haven't seen Naruto, so I can't be enitirely positive. Regardless, it was a very well done video (although I feel like I just had some huge plot element spoiled for me! ^_^ .) You definitely have talent and a very good sense of timing. This is a video that I will be glad to return to once I get around to watching Naruto and figure out what's going on. (By the way, what an ADORABLE opening! I heart it! ^_^)

trunkims - again, this was a video that Corran suggested, so I doubt you'll see this, but I wanted to say first off that it is an exceptional video, like all of the others that were suggested. I do want to mention that I think this video wasn't named correctly, in my opinion. The song "I'll Be" comes across as a very romantic sort song, with a sense of longing sprinkled throughout. Also, the scenes that you used were more of Shinobu's "Do I love Keitaro or not?" sort of scenes, which again speaks of romance. I think the video should have been named "Shinobu's Longing" or "Shinobu's Crush" rather than "Shinobu's Friendship," because it didn't really seem like a friendship video. Other than my rambling over the title, I didn't have any problems with this video. It was very good and a worthy addition to anyone's Love Hina collection.

Well, that's all for now. I kind of get the feeling that I'm typing WAY too much on these posts. But I like being thorough, and I believe that everyone deserves constructive criticism for their videos and praise for taking their time to respond to me. So, Thank You, Good Luck, and Happy AMV-ing!

- dj_ultima_the_great

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:14 pm

^_^ Thanks I'm glad you like those videos. I'll PM Marlex and Trunkims so maybe they will be able to see your comments as well.

Return to “General AMV”