Search Tools Revised

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Search Tools Revised

Post by Phade » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:04 pm

Hey All,

I'm de-lurking for a moment to fill you in on some site search improvements. First off, the New Videos and New Downloads pages have been converted to the new CSS/XHTML design method and have results paging. This should make the pages load much faster since they are frequently used.

The second big thing is a beta test of the "suggestion query". The suggestion query is currently only open for testing to donators who have given 10 or more star ratings (the more ratings you have given, the more accurate the results should be). What it does is take your star ratings, compares them to everyone else, and comes up with a list of videos that you will likely find good. This list will be very personalized to each individual member since everyone has a different set of star ratings given. A further explanation is given at the top of the suggestion query page.

The suggestion query is currently very much in beta. The list takes a few seconds to generate. If the processor load is too great, the page will be removed so that the page can be refined for greater efficiency. The main question with this beta test is: Does the algorithm return useful results? Please leave comments about the suggestion query in this thread.

Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:13 pm

New features are always shiny...

DJ Jaime
Org Profile

Post by DJ Jaime » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:15 pm

Ok, sounds good, but why is it only for Donators?

I know i should donate and i admit it, put i cant work now and im poor, so i cant donate, but it seems good.

New Features are always good! :P

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:32 am

Hey cool. :D

My list actually has some of my favourite videos in it, but unfortunately I've seen them all already. I downloaded them before the local server came out, so I guess the site can't tell that I've downloaded them already. So there weren't really any new suggestions for me there.

But I can see this being very useful to new members who came after the local server came out. 8)
ImageImage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:29 am

Same here, I've actually seen almost all of the videos in my list. I'll try downloading those vids off local though so I can rate them. I actually wouldnt mind seeing some of them again though, as I saw quite a few of them a while back...

Pyle
Org Profile

Post by Pyle » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:00 am

A month after he quit and he's still working :roll:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:38 am

Hehe, for once I wish I gave harsher star ratings - but, well, there are definitely some videos on there I will download... when my ISP doesn't suck.

Thanks Phade, really cool feature. :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:26 pm

I've seen 22 of the 50 videos listed which leads me to believe that the list is fairly accurate since I enjoyed them. Perhaps an option to tag the video as already watched would help.
Otohiko wrote:Hehe, for once I wish I gave harsher star ratings
I think I'll actually go back an re-rate a number of those videos... when I have a lot of time to spare.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:50 pm

Corran wrote:I've seen 22 of the 50 videos listed which leads me to believe that the list is fairly accurate since I enjoyed them. Perhaps an option to tag the video as already watched would help.
Yeah I asked Phade for that option when it was in beta :) It might be tricky as there'd have to be a new table for it but I'm just guessing... of course he might have just forgotten the request :)

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
Corran wrote:I've seen 22 of the 50 videos listed which leads me to believe that the list is fairly accurate since I enjoyed them. Perhaps an option to tag the video as already watched would help.
Yeah I asked Phade for that option when it was in beta :) It might be tricky as there'd have to be a new table for it but I'm just guessing... of course he might have just forgotten the request :)
It would be a pretty nice feature as it would could be used on the top 10% and other lists also.

I hope people don't take low star ratings personally... I been toying around with this new page and I see why Phade originally wanted to just have a thumbs up/thumb down only rating. Now when I rate I think whether or not I want to see more of those types of videos appearing on the list which is how I'm sure Phade wanted the star scale to originally be intended.

Return to “Site Announcements”