The Side Characters Challenge! ***SPOILERS***

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

The Side Characters Challenge! ***SPOILERS***

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 am

Alrighty, folks, this one is a big one. I really love AMVs, but 1200 local videos later, I must say that I am getting extremely sick of seeing videos about the main characters. Maybe it happened when I saw Chi "awaken" for the 40th time, or when Saya cut down that guy on the train with her sword for the 22nd time, but somewhere along the way, I started having a very bad opinion of people's AMV-making abilities. So, with that said, I offer every AMV creator on this website a challenge. I'm going to give you people an fairly extensive list of anime to choose from and some guidelines to go by. What I want is simply this: a video that does not have any main characters in it, but rather focuses on the stories of the side characters and their roles. And, so , here is the list!

Ah! My Goddess - NO Belldandy or Keiichi, avoid Celestine if possible

Angel Sanctuary - NO Setsuna or Sara

Angelic Layer - NO Misaki or ANY of the Angels and their battles, avoid
Misaki's mother if possible

Blood The Last Vampire - NO Saya (I know that this will be diffcult, but I'd like to see someone's efforts to accomplish this end)

Chobits - NO Chi or Hideki

Fruits Basket - NO Tohru or Yuki or Kyou

Gravitation - NO Shuichi or Yuki

Kare Kano - NO Miyazawa or Arima

Love Hina - NO Narusegawa or Keitaro

Neon Genesis Evangelion - NO Shinji or Asuka or Rei or ANY Evangelion battles, avoid Misato if possible

Noir - NO Kirika or Mireille or ANY gunfights

Pokemon - NO Ash or Brock or Misty or ANY pokemon

Serial Experiments Lain - NO Lain

Tokyo Babylon - NO Subaru, avoid Seishirou and Hokuto if possible

Trigun - NO Vash, avoid Wolfwood, Meryl, and Milly if possible

X (the movie or the series) - NO Kamui or Fuma

Yami no Matsuei - NO Tsuzuki or Hisoka

Yu-Gi-Oh! - NO Yugi or ANY of the Duel Monsters

Some very good examples of what I'm looking for are listed below with my comments...by the way, some of these videos (but not my comments) may contain spoilers...

Chobits - Evanescence - My Immortal, edited by Brolli12; this video is not only very well done and touching, but Chi and Hideki are NOT the stars. They are seen only in passing, as a background object, and nothing more.

Fruits Basket - Fuel - Falls on Me, edited by staces; a video all about Kisa! Though there are quite a few Tohru scenes in this video, they are only used to further the story of Kisa. Because the editor used fansubs, there wasn't much unsubtitled Kisa footage to use. To remedy this, staces cut down the song from 4 minutes to 2. The video was, in the editor's own words, "short and sweet."

Fruits Basket - Various Songs (Titled: "A Song for Everyone" and "A Song for Everyone - Volume II",) edited by RubyHatchet; these two videos are nearly perfect and exactly what I have in mind. In this case, the editor did a sequence of several short videos put to different songs and strung together, with each section highlighting a particular character.

Kare Kano - Joga - Dam Dariram, edited by Lostboy; ah, the adorably frightful Tsubasa Shibahime...I'm glad someone made a video for her. Those who watch will notice that this is a short and fast Dance Dance Revolution song about love. This is a great video that only shows Miyazawa and Arima when they interact with Tsubasa.

Kare Kano - Hideki Naganuma - Sweet Soul Brother, edited by MeriC; Not entirely what I'm looking for because it also emphasizes Arima, but a good video that shows Asaba doing what he does best: being a weirdo-freak/"sex god," or so he thinks.

Serial Experiments Lain - Elliot Smith - Happiness, edited by Kwasek; though this isn't exactly what I have in mind, either, it is a very good example of telling the story of the main character through side characters. Lain herself only appears for about half or less of the video, and side characters make up the rest of it.

Trigun - Pearl Jam - Jeremy, edited by Zerophite (note: this video cannot be downloaded on a-m-v.org, but it is possible to find it on Kazaa); a very nice video about Knives........there's not much more to say than that!

X TV - Madonna - Like a Prayer, edited by Karen-chan (note: this video is a Direct download, not Local); this video is about Karen, of course. The song is befitting, and the editing is passable, though not perfect (no offense to the editor!) It has an example of something I don't want, though: SUBTITLES. I read the editor's comments which stated that the subtitles were intentional for that video, but for my challenge I don't want any. It does, however, follow my other requirements: it is about a side character and contains little to no footage of a main character.

Yami no Matsuei (listed as Descendants of Darkness) - Interview with the Vampire Soundtrack - Madeleine's Lament, edited by Keleih; a touching and angsty video about Tsubaki (called "Princess Tsubaki.") It is the only video listed here that is put to an instrumental piece - yet, it manages to completely tell the story of a side character in YnM.

Well, after ALL of that, I hope I have given my fellow AMV creators some inspiration to take up my challenge. People who can rip from DVDs will probably have the easiest time completing a video for this, but anyone willing to avoid or get rid of subtitles on fansubs should be able to manage this, too. So, one last time, here are the guidelines!

- NO main characters
- NO subtitles
- pick an appropriate song for the character/s that you decide to represent
- really put forth some effort, NO 2 hour projects, please

I don't think that I'm asking too much. I just want a good video that has something other than a main character with scenes I've seen dozens of times in it. For anyone who wishes to take up my challenge, Good Luck and Happy AMV-ing!

- dj_ultima_the_great

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:49 pm

Check this one out by Corran. A favorite of mine, great Shinobu vid.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... d_id=24353
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:46 pm

TobinHood wrote:Check this one out by Corran. A favorite of mine, great Shinobu vid.

I x2 that.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Re: The Side Characters Challenge!

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:18 pm

dj_ultima_the_great wrote:Ah! My Goddess - NO Belldandy or Keiichi, avoid Celestine if possible
Well... it's not really devoid of Belldandy/Keiichi/Celestine, but here's a Morgan character profile.
dj_ultima_the_great wrote:Fruits Basket - NO Tohru or Yuki or Kyou
AMV on the story of Hatori and Kana.

I love side characters. :D Maybe I'll take up your challenge on Noir and X TV.

Muyo_Ryu
Org Profile

Post by Muyo_Ryu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:07 pm

What you have said is very interesting and very true. Personally, I'm not the kind that adore main characters in a series (Except for Kamui *.* ) *cough*

Here's a music video I made a few weeks ago. It's about Haku and Zabuza from Naruto. Unfortunatly Naruto does appear for a few seconds, but I tried my best to create a biography of the two lonely shinobi.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=45126

It's not a bad AMV, u might like it :)
"Who said you'll be going to hell when you die.
.... you're already living it." - Zabuza

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:40 pm

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] wrote:
TobinHood wrote:Check this one out by Corran. A favorite of mine, great Shinobu vid.

I x2 that.
Thanks guys. ^_^

Here are two other Shinobu videos that I very much enjoyed.
Shinobu's Friendship by Trunkims
Shinobu in the Middle by Marlex

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:06 pm

I'm with you here, in quite a few cases I like the side characters more then the main. Side characters can make great videos, Corran's is a perfect example of this.
Unfortunately I don't have any of the anime mentioned above so I can't take any of your challenges. However, I am toying around with the idea of doing a vid for Norris from 08th MS Team.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Post by pinky75910 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:56 pm

I agree. I can't think of any Trigun vid that hasn't been done already sparkling new concept. I get really tired of all these Fruits Basket romances that are the same thing.

I'm sure you can find plenty of Muraki vids from Yami no Matseui. My two fav YNM vids are a romance to "Ghost of You & Me" and a fantastic must-see comedy to what else, YMCA.

I've made a Yu-Gi-Oh vid that still needs a tad bit of polishing. It focuses specifically on Little Yugi, an oft-forgot hero of the story. http://animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewt ... ht=#544254
I have a request on the back burner for a future Kaiba vid.

I should think your goal might be acheived if the main chars are in a scene or two.

I have plans of making some multi-char profile type vids to my fav anime, but unfortunately not an anime you're likely a fan of ^_^ Your loss. If you'd like to hazard a guess at this anime, check what almost all my vids are to.

pinky75910
Org Profile

Re: The Side Characters Challenge!

Post by pinky75910 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:01 pm

dj_ultima_the_great wrote: Pokemon - NO Ash or Brock or Misty or ANY pokemon
What's left? Team Rocket?

This here though has gotta be my fav Poke-vid. Enjoy

http://animemusicvideos.org/members/mem ... hp?v=27433

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:43 pm

I'm planning a Deus character profile. But I just need a song.....(never tried going from video to song before, always the other way)
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Return to “General AMV”