R1, R2, tie a shoe....

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:35 am

NME wrote:Plus some standards allow for better image quality because of a higher res and different frame rate. I personally think PAL DVD's look awesome when compared to an NTSC DVD. But thats just my opinion.
Region coding is specific to DVDs ;p All it does is prevent a DVD from playing in a DVD player not found the same region.

PAL could very well look nicer what with it's higher resolution and since most film and anime is @ 24fps in the first place while PAL is @ 25fps. More 'bandwith'(I don't know the proper term), is put in the image rather then the frame rate ;\ . Telecining from 24 > 25fps must be a pain. I've heard horror stories of them actually speeding up the audio/video for it to run @ 25fps :{ eek

~klinky

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:47 am

Does anyone know, off hand, what the frame rate for SECAM is? I should know this but I must have doodled my cats too much in that class.

NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:51 am

SECAM (Sequential Couleur Avec Memoire or Sequential Colour with Memory (or System Even Crappier than the American Method ;-)) color TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's and implemented in France.

SECAM uses the same bandwidth as PAL but transmits the colour information sequentially. SECAM runs on 625 lines/frame with the same framerate as the PAL does, 25fps.
nil per os

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:38 am

What NME said.

When they Telecine films for PAL, they do what's called 2:2 pulldown (instead of 3:2 pulldown for NTSC). Basically it means making 2 fields into each frame of video, but that speeds up the film by 1/24 in terms of framerate, so they have speed up the audio, generally by upping the pitch. This can actually change the key of certain songs and stuff, it's really nasty.

The latest WinDVD (v4) implemented a really neat feature - it automatically slows down 25fps PAL DVDs that have 2:2 pulldown to 24fps and slows the audio as well, basically putting it back to normal, in realtime. I thought that was really neat.

I'll still take NTSC over PAL any day, though. PAL DV uses 4:2:0 colorspace (not the 4:2:0 used by MPEG2, BTW, just to confuse you) which sucks for recompressions.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:26 pm

They are regions, from different countires for the DVDs. Every country has a different electrical system and thus their DVD players run differently than ours and thus the DVDs are encoded for them. Unless you have a multi-region player you can't watch anything other than Region one and zero. If you want a complete list of regions go to www.animeondvd.com and check their review page.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:59 pm

A dur. Wrong. Dvds aren't really encoded any differently except for the PAL and NTSC differences. There is some information in the IFO file on the disc that dictates the region. It has nothing to do with what voltage or power system they run on.
nil per os

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:58 pm

Technically they are encoded differently(different companies do it different ways), but they all follow the same standard :| So all the region coding is, is a tiny little bit of memory on the disc & in the player that says "I am a R1 disc" or "I am a R2". If they don't match then riots break out and regional slurs are made.

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”