One or Two???

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:38 pm

I use one. While I appreciate te benefit of having a second monitor, it seems to me as though it'd be more efficient to get a hardware encider/decoder card which does previews on a seperate TV, rather than a complete second monitor. However, at the moment, one monitor suits my purposes.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:17 pm

Jesus christ don't post links like that around nerds, I almost blew my load all over my laptop after seeing that monitor setup. I'm still jamming my dick in a drawer trying to get it to calm down but it's not helping. DAMN that monitor setup is SEXY.

But yes, I would recommend getting some sort of hardware accelleration before dual monitors. I mean, they're great, I love em, but I could certainly edit on a single monitor, and give the choice between losing my DV500 or my second monitor, I'd pick the second monitor to chuck, no question.

And no amount of time will give you creativity. Polish, perhaps, but creativity can't be rushed.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:42 pm

TaranT wrote:
NicholasDWolfwood wrote:I have that Matrox Parhelia 512 128MB on my wish list, but I know I'll never get it. It supports using one, two or three monitors with one card, but it retails directly from Matrox at $400
The downside is that in the 3-monitor configuration, only one can be DVI (i.e. LCD flat, but analog LCD is ok).
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/home.cfm

The Parhelia was too expensive for me this time around. However, this 3-monitor setup is outrageous:
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parh ... lehead.cfm

The one DVI doesn't matter to me, as I'd be using analog CRT monitors, because my parents and/or I can't afford a 500 dollar monitor

JCL17
Org Profile

Post by JCL17 » Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:10 pm

ErMaC wrote:And no amount of time will give you creativity. Polish, perhaps, but creativity can't be rushed.
yah....I agree with you...I meant that once you get on a roll...your creativity can be diminished if you have to keep goin back and forth...know what I mean??

and the setups are sweet...the setup I had in mind was to have the only the timeline and effects folder in one monitor...and on the other monitor only had the preview window....but I think that was what most of you thought I had in mind...

so what do you guys think...with that setup in mind is it better to have the hardware encider/decoder card which does previews on a seperate TV?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:37 pm

If all you want is the preview on the second monitor, then yes, get a hardware editing card that can output the preview to a TV. If you're like many of us, you already have a TV pretty close to your computer. :)
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:44 pm

You still can't beat the 5 monitor setup I had at one point. It was super leet, I had two computers, each with dual monitor, and a video monitor hooked up to the DV500's output. Plus both machines had TV-outs of some sort as well as TV-ins so I could actually do the infinite chains of monitor loopings between computers. 8)
Oh yea and all the monitors were 17"+ cept for the video monitor. Damn that was a cool setup. Course one of the monitors was an old HP 21" Fixed Frequency Workstation monitor so it could only run 1280x1024 @ 70-75Hz and it was rather fuzzy and dark, and the other space 17" had this godawful green tint to it that would only go away after you left it on for a few hours. They have since been thrown out.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:18 pm

Actually, that nVidia "hack" to do dual monitors on Win 2k works alright.

This is a GF4 mx400, running 2 LCD's @ 1600x1200.
The image on the right monitor is dokidoki's NYO is WAR, playing(paused) fullscreen on just one monitor.

Putting your clip/preview windows on their own monitor at full DVD res is TEH WIN. More space == Better. 8)

Its a tax-deductible business expense, after all. ;)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:25 pm

Yes you should justify it first. I wonder why I got a 21" :\ I've used it once on a AMV project. It's nice though ;\ Fits entire web page on screen at once :\ Good for editing in photoshop ;)

Hmmmm...

I never liked two monitor idea unless I had one dedicated to playback and the other dedicated to the timeline. I just don't like the borders that the monitor bevels create :\

~klinky

JCL17
Org Profile

Post by JCL17 » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:49 pm

klinky wrote:unless I had one dedicated to playback and the other dedicated to the timeline.
~klinky
that's exactly what I had in mind..but it seems people recommend to get an adaptor for a tv-out better... :cry:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:59 pm

I use one monitor, I don't really have a reason to use two, with one editing program and all teh hardware in one hard drive two monitor would only put a crick in my neck.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”