How to Resume Downloads - and other d/l info

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

How to Resume Downloads - and other d/l info

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun May 16, 2004 4:47 pm

Download accelerators/resumers like GetRight are unlikely to resume Local downloads. Very likely, for best results, you will need to get a new browser to replace Internet Explorer. A new browser won't clutter up your computer with spyware or adware and is often a much better replacement for IE.

Try these two browsers, and any Local download problems should be fixed (Direct and Indirect links will almost always resume with GetRight or other resumers). You will not be able to download any videos that have only a Local link if you have not been a registered member for at least two weeks. Don't complain, that's the rule and it won't change. The only exception is if you have donated. If you have donated, the waiting period is done away with and you can download to your heart's content. On to the browsers.

Opera - My personal preference. Allows you to resume downloads, has tabbed browsing, and several other options. If you're afraid of losing all your Internet Explorer bookmarks, go to Bookmarks ---> Manage bookmarks ---> File ---> Import Internet Explorer favorites. If you have problems downloading .wmv files (where it streams instead of saving to your hard drive), go to your video playback software (such as Windows Media Player) and make sure that the .wmv file type is not associated with the player. For WMP, this means going to Tools ---> Options ---> File types and then unchecking the .wmv extension.

Firefox - I, personally, have never used this browser. But, according to Phade, it has "Tabbed browsing. Pop-up blocking. Download management. Better standards compliance." So I imagine, since the site admin recommends it, that it works fairly well. Also, with the site layout being revamped, Firefox seems to be more compliant with the changes (as far as I know, anyway).

When trying to download Local, do not try to right click and save as. First, click the Local link that's in the video description. That will, if you have not donated, take you to a donation page where you can either choose to donate by clicking on either of the two Pledge buttons at the bottom of the page or you can download the video by clicking the Proceed button which is also at the bottom next to the Pledge buttons. After that it will take you to a screen with some video information, and the download should start automatically in about ten seconds.

If you have any more problems, post them here and we'll try to find the solution. ^_^
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Brsrk
Org Profile

Post by Brsrk » Sun May 16, 2004 9:25 pm

Good guide.

I haven't used IE in a year and a half thanks to Opera.

I booted up IE today for the FTP part, it put mad adware on my comp...
Pwolf wrote:that music was way to "happy" for an anime as dramatic as the kenshin ova... your an evil evil person :P :up: Pwolf
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87528

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Mon May 17, 2004 2:41 am

FlashGet 1.60 (for Windows IE users): FlashGet is a powerful yet free and lightweight download manager for Windows. The shareware version allows for unlimited use, and will not install adware into your computer. With this software you can do multiple and batch download, and let it hangup and shutdown the computer when all is done. =)

Configure FlashGet to work with IE 5.x, 6.x
You only need to do this one time. Simply go to the Options -> Protocol. In the HTTP category, change the User Agent to Internet Explorer 5.x. Make sure that Send Referrer and Enable Cookies are checked. When you're done, hit OK.

Download a Local video
FlashGet should be able to detect and handle the download automatically after the 10-seconds. But if it doesn't, and an IE save box opened instead, just hit Cancel. Simply drag the download link that appeared on the bottom to the DropZone, and then hit OK.

Pause and Resume
Hit the pause button to halt, play button to resume.

If the download won't resume after the last time (probably yesterday), that is because the Org cookie in your computer is already expired. Go to the members login page and log yourself. After that it should be able to resume.

PM me for help, tips, suggestions, corrections etc.

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Mon May 17, 2004 4:57 am

Weird, my sig is only one image high in IE and two images high in Firefox
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: How to Resume Downloads - and other d/l info

Post by Scintilla » Mon May 17, 2004 10:15 am

flint_the_dwarf wrote:If you have problems downloading .wmv files (where it streams instead of saving to your hard drive), go to your video playback software (such as Windows Media Player) and make sure that the .wmv file type is not associated with the player. For WMP, this means going to Tools ---> Options ---> File types and then unchecking the .wmv extension.
Or, in Opera itself: File --> Preferences --> File types, then find .WMV and hit "Edit...", then set it to pop up a download dialog instead of playing in WMP.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Thu May 20, 2004 1:13 pm

Not to stray too far of the topic, but what's the news on resuming uploads?
AMV Search | AMV Guides
AMV Live. "It's like Iron Chef, only too many cooks will spoil the broth"

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Fri May 21, 2004 6:49 pm

I can resume fine with Opera. Hasn't failed me for months.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Nekoboy Sal
AD Copycat
Org Profile

EEEP!

Post by Nekoboy Sal » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:16 pm

Okay, how do you resume downloads with Opra?
I'm getting ready for bed and I want to disconect. But I'm at the begining of a downolad of some BeOS (I don't know witch on it is yet). I will be very displeased if I find this download isn't resumeable. So before I get rid of my 30Mb/104Mb I want to know if I can resume.

6:12 Estamated time remaning.
No, I'm not dead...
I've just moved to Politicaly Corect "Republic of Ireland".

Tictwo
Org Profile

re:

Post by Tictwo » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:36 am

I'm using FlashGet with IE and it won't download "local downloads" automatically, and it also will not work if I drag the ten-second link into the drop zone. When I do the latter, it downloads the link/download page and not the file.

Can someone please help me? =3

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Declan_Vee wrote:Not to stray too far of the topic, but what's the news on resuming uploads?
It should work... doesn't it?
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”