Is ok send a Non Anime video to a contest?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kismetgirl88
Org Profile

Is ok send a Non Anime video to a contest?

Post by Kismetgirl88 » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:18 pm

Hey I have made (and going to make another) Invader Zim music video. I would like send it in for a AMV contest but friend my pointed out that Invader Zim isn't tecincally anime. I know some people can be SOOO picky when it comes to AMV conetst. So I want ask before I send it off and get rejected(Also to save my self the cost of shipping) If you guys think it would be ok to enter something (like Invader Zim) into a anime muisc video contest. Or should save my money and time and not do it?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:20 pm

Read the rules to the contest. If it's allowed, then send it in.

However, if your only motivation is winning, then don't bother to send it in.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:42 pm

Most cons won't even let you enter a video that isn't some majority percentage anime. There are always a few videos like that in cons that get eliminated. Thus far I have yet to come across a con that will allow a video in that is less than 75% anime. So although you may make the worl;ds greatest music video to some show, it means nothing to cons often.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:07 pm

awa has a video art track... not an anime music video track...

invader zim would be allowed in any of its contests...

(expo deadline today... if you want to submit it via ftp get an account from ovsubmit by tonight)
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

TaranT
Org Profile

Re: Is ok send a Non Anime video to a contest?

Post by TaranT » Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:35 am

Kismetgirl88 wrote:Hey I have made (and going to make another) Invader Zim music video. I would like send it in for a AMV contest but friend my pointed out that Invader Zim isn't tecincally anime. I know some people can be SOOO picky when it comes to AMV conetst. So I want ask before I send it off and get rejected(Also to save my self the cost of shipping) If you guys think it would be ok to enter something (like Invader Zim) into a anime muisc video contest. Or should save my money and time and not do it?
In addition to AWA, Sakura-Con (Seattle) has an "Other" category for non-anime videos, as well as a separate contest for original animation. This was true for the past two years, but may not be the case next year. Like jbone says, you need to check the rules for each contest.

(Last year's "Other" category had videos that used Titan A.E. and Dragon's Lair.)

I don't think the rules are up yet, but you can check here:
http://www.sakuracon.org

CArnesen
Org Profile

Re: Is ok send a Non Anime video to a contest?

Post by CArnesen » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:23 am

TaranT wrote:In addition to AWA, Sakura-Con (Seattle) has an "Other" category for non-anime videos, as well as a separate contest for original animation. This was true for the past two years, but may not be the case next year. Like jbone says, you need to check the rules for each contest.

(Last year's "Other" category had videos that used Titan A.E. and Dragon's Lair.)

I don't think the rules are up yet, but you can check here:
http://www.sakuracon.org/
For 2003 I will not be having an "Other" category. My rules do state though that a percentage of the music video must have anime content.

Dictionary.com states that the definition of "anime" is:
A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

and it states that it is a shortened word for "animation," and its definition is:
The art or process of preparing animated cartoons.
An animated cartoon.

So technically, my rules do allow for non-Japanese origin animation, but the rules also do state that interpertation of the rules is up to me. :wink:

BTW, the rules are finalized and have been submitted to the Web Page Team to put up on the Sakura-Con Website. In other words, they should be there shortly...
--Chris ^_^

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:26 am

You use Dictionary.com for your definition of anime? Bad idea.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:31 am

BTW, if you look on the a-m-v.org Contests Page you might just find some Sakura-Con 2003 submission deadlines...
--Chris ^_^

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:37 am

For 2003 I will not be having an "Other" category. My rules do state though that a percentage of the music video must have anime content.
Guess I won't be submitting that LotR vid I've been thinking about making. :)

Return to “AMV Contests”