last evangelion episode [episode 26]

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:34 pm

Mirumoto_Chris wrote:
HeartbreakerByZep wrote:
If he had went insane, I don't see how Kare Kano could have turned out so darn well.
Of course he went insane... it is the only explantion for the gawd-awful last episode of Kare Kano. Sketch episodes make me want to commit violent, malicious harm upon my television.
Regardless of your opinion of KK's last episode, you can't really claim that he's insane just because he did that. (If anything say he's insane based on the first quarter of episode 24, that was kind of odd)

Anyway... if you don't like sketch episodes, just get volume 7 of the manga, it's exactly the same.... only it's not moving.

But, being the Kare Kano junkie that I am, I love episode 26, I just watched it again last night. Though... having Kawashima sensei and others narrate it was pretty wierd... and the first time I watched the episode I had a hard time reading the text...
Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
Don't disturb me now, I can see the answers
'Till this evening is this morning, life is fine.

Apeotheosis
Org Profile

Post by Apeotheosis » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:37 pm

DrngdKreationz wrote:You know Mike, How many times do I have to tell you not to piss off the Eva fanboyz? eh? :P
:lol: Sorry bout that. Got the names confused...long story with no excuses. But from what I read he DID go insane, it might have been brief, there IS temporary insanity. And I'm sorry - I didn't know that you knew him personally.

*has not seen Kare Kano* So I can't put any imput on whether or not this is prompt for an argument.

Nevertheless, why don't we focus more on the actual subject. I'm not trying to get anyone pissed off, though I must admit it's rather fun. Let's go more into what the man should do to understand Eva a little better.
Me wrote:I don't know where I'm going, but uhh...I'm definitely gonna think about it on the way.

HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:36 pm

I'm not pissed, that was just a totally crazy name, where did it come from?

Sanity is a completely subjective term, if you ask me we're all insane in one way or another. But just because you read something doesn't mean it's true. And just because I can't call up Anno on the phone and say "hey, are you sane?" doesn't mean that our knowledge about him is equal.

The way I understand it, Anno was very deeply depressed, and Evangelion was indeed his means of rehabilitation. However, I wouldn't consider depression a form of insanity (well, it is, but no more a form of insanity than the average person has, which would be considered being normal) and so I'm very skeptical that there was clinical insanity involved.

And furthermore, I quite dislike the notion that is commonly expressed about weird things and insanity. Just because someone makes something really far-out and crazy does not mean that they were insane or on drugs or anything of that sort. Sure, things like insanity and drugs can cause some amazingly weird stuff, but there's no threshold of weirdness that insanity can cross that isn't easily crossable for any average far-out artist. So if Anno went insane or not, he didn't *have* to be, and so I'd need a lot of evidence to the contrary to beleive that he was.

As for Kare Kano and all the other stuff he did... it's pretty clear that Anno isn't insane right now, he has a wife and is still working on stuff.

As for understanding Evangelion, that's your own gig, man. If you want info from the experts, just go to www.animenation.com, their Evangelion forum is filled with a lot of the brightest Eva fans. Other than that, watching the series more times is never a bad idea if you want to understand it. It's somewhat like Furi Kuri, only several episodes longer and thus much harder to watch over and over again.

Apeotheosis
Org Profile

Post by Apeotheosis » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:08 am

It was actually from another anime made by Geneon, can't remember the name though.

And when it comes to the weird/insanity factor. I more then agree, trust me. I full-heartily believe in that. I myself have written some really crazy/insane/off the wall poems that you might look at and go "...W - T - F?" And I can assure you that I'm not insane, at least the bunny told me I wasn't. And he's reliable.

What WE hear and what we know are two different things so I don't think either of us can win on this one. He could look perfectly fine right now and be insane....we might never know it. But honestly I don't really care either way. Eva was a sweet-ass anime. And that's what I truly care about all in all. I love the insane twists in the anime, and would like to talk more about them. Of course after I watch "End of Evangelion". I'm not one to start throwing things around till I've at least seen the whole series. But I do have my theories that I won't reveal yet in fear of complete obtuse reactions with factually backed-up arguements. :) In other words I don't want to get flamed when it's not really necessary do I? He he.

I would love to discuss some of the scenes and such with you though. You seem quite knowledgable on Eva. Would you care to conversate on it? Bring up whatever you want, it might even help out the creator of this thread to have massive insight on details from us :wink:
Me wrote:I don't know where I'm going, but uhh...I'm definitely gonna think about it on the way.

HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:26 pm

For the record - I still fully stand by the assumption that Hideaki Anno is not insane. It'd be nearly impossible for him to be insane right now and for people not to know about it. (And furthermore, anyone who can contribute to Kare Kano is not insane by my standards... regardless of what all them doctors say ;) )

Anyway, of course I wouldn't mind discussing Evangelion. I wouldn't really know where to start. What should our conversation regard?

So you haven't seen The End of Evangelion yet?

Apeotheosis
Org Profile

Post by Apeotheosis » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:08 pm

Alas...I have not :(

I will very soon, I just have to run over to my friends house and borrow it. But I can definitly say that I WILL own this entire series and the two movies when they're all released in the director's cut. I love it way too much not to.

Let's see...where to start? *thinks* Let's talk about the truths of the soul that seem to be covered so well. How the show knows where truth lies in all people, and how depressing or malevolent those truths can be. Like Shinji's running away from it all. Even though his father's a complete cold-hearted person to him and his mother has died. The story doesn't just use that as his excuse like in other generic storylines. It shows that it's not just that....it's that HE has choosen to see it that way. And that's how he hides it from the facts. Or Asuka and how she wants everyone to know she exists or "not a doll" and hides it with her anger. Of course there are other things but I don't have time to list them, I'm going to dinner right now.

Alright, talk to you guys later.
*phade*
~Mike

DaNuKa_SAN
Location: Most probably sleeping...that or in front of his comp...
Org Profile

Post by DaNuKa_SAN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:26 pm

lol hows this for a waste of time? i spent atlest 3 yrs piecing to gether every little piece here and there and comparing to the bible with a frien of mine which is a college historian assistant doing his masters^^

best ive found today...(there was more back then...like that all three angels have an element which were described in the gospels belonging to some demons...the horn on Eva01, 00s 1 eye, and 02s 4 eyes)

http://www.bfx-net.com/evafaqs/evafaqsmain.html
"Why is it I get my best ideas while shaving?"
- Albert Einstein

DaNuKa_SAN
Org Profile

Post by DaNuKa_SAN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:31 pm

for a more psychological indept view try this one...if u dare

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~cduan/writ ... full.shtml
- Albert Einstein

DaNuKa_SAN
Org Profile

Post by DaNuKa_SAN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:37 pm

and this very freaky comment came from here (http://www.crossroad.to/text/responses/Evangelion.htm) and should warn us all of the dangers of anime and dwelling a bit TOO long on Eva (yea rite^^):

From a concerned mother: Thank you for your information on this series. I would like to share with you our story. My 16 year old son is a wonderful young man who is a Christian. He is somewhat of an introvert, however, and loves to spend time on the computer. We are fairly strict with what movies and games our boys play, but have given them greater freedoms to chose their entertainment as they grow older, asking them to always evaluate what they do by thinking what Jesus would do. We hold the Word of God as our Supreme authority for life and try to train up our children with a strong Biblical worldview.
This being said, we were so taken aback with a recent episode in our home. My 16 year old said he wanted the DVD collection of Neon Genesis Evangelion to watch, and we purchased it without much evaluation. We thought it was "Just Cartoons". My son also thought it was harmless fun. When he got the set, he proceeded to watch it for hours.
The next morning, he wouldn't speak to me at all and had a depressed look on his face. I thought he was having a bad day and let it slide. He went off to school-a Christian high school- and when I picked him up that afternoon, he was still not speaking. We are very close and I tried repeatedly to get him to tell me what was wrong but he wouldn't talk-not a word.!! So at home, he went to his room and despite me going in to talk to him repeatedly, he remained sad and mute. Finally, I came into his room to find him with a tie around his neck, standing in the center of his room, turning red. I fought him to get the tie off and then clung to him praying the name of Jesus.
Eventually he talked, saying that he didn't know what was the "real" reality and he didn't belong in this world. I talked with him about God's plan and purpose for his life and eventually he became more talkative. We watched him carefully and sought help from a Christian counselor. Although he may have some emotional issues to work out, I KNOW that satan use this evangelion series to mess with his mind and to confuse him in his faith.
To those who think it is good -- beware! It is darkness. It blinds even clear thinking, Christian kids. We have warned our son to have nothing to do with this series, but he still defends it. I am praying that he will seek truth only in God's Word and not to fill his mind with darkness.
Please continue to warn Christians about this stuff. Most of my friends had never heard of it either.
- Albert Einstein

DaNuKa_SAN
Org Profile

Post by DaNuKa_SAN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:39 pm

oh and u might not want to go check out the rest of the site...ughhh...
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”