How to Spot a Bootleg

bubblehead
Org Profile

Post by bubblehead » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:23 am

I think it depends on the convention. Fanime for instance makes a point of having a strict no-bootleg policy. I don't know how, or how well, they enforce it, but I've never seen anything that was recognizably a bootleg there, so they must enforce it.

Probably conventions are supposed to police it, but that doesn't mean they do.
My DVDs
http://www.google.co.jp>http://www.google.com
President of the Sequoia High School anime club!
I have a forum now. O.o Rabid Catgirl

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:48 am

TheRealLefty wrote:OK so after reading through the first five pages, and not seeing what i hoped for i have this question...

Does anyone know of any sites out there that sell LEGITIMATE imports?
www.cdjapan.co.jp
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

spookloops
Org Profile

Thanx

Post by spookloops » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:43 pm

For all the people that have contributed to this thread, I want to thank you all for being so informative. B/c of financial cirumstances, I've not bought very many things over the last few years. When things look up, I plan on backtracking and picking up stuff I've seen over the years. Thanx to you guys, I feel more aware and knowledgeable. I don't mean to be all gushy 'n' all, but I really appreciate that info like this is available.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:25 pm

paizuri wrote:
TheRealLefty wrote:OK so after reading through the first five pages, and not seeing what i hoped for i have this question...

Does anyone know of any sites out there that sell LEGITIMATE imports?
www.cdjapan.co.jp
www.yesasia.com also, but they are mainly for music. Not very good anime selection. Very good prices on Legit stuff too.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Neko116
Org Profile

Post by Neko116 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:20 am

here is my question: lots of fansubs have a note on them that says: "this is a free fansub, made for fans by fans, if you bought this then you have been cheated, go get your money back!" So its still illegal right? it was copied off some original thing and then subtitled, right? so you could be sued just like if you were downloading music off kazaa? would anyone even be tracing those files though?
"living here... you forget that theres an outside world" - Naota - furi kuri
....i can relate

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:35 am

Well, unlike the music industry and MP3's, the anime industry is yet to go after fansubbers, arguably because thanks to the fansubbing 'code of honour' and such, the fansubs actually end up being beneficial to the distributors in the end.

That said though, yep, fansubs are illegal. But there's yet to be a case of fansubbers, let alone fansub users, being prosecuted for this.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:38 am

I think a lot of that is also because some American companies (like ADV and AnimEigo) started as fansubbers.

ryuu_hime13
Org Profile

Post by ryuu_hime13 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:03 pm

Are there bootlegged anime games?

While searching on eBay for a game called Apocripha, I found an 8-disk set for $19.99...and directly beneath it was another 8-disk set, but this one cost $40.00.
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
-Akira Kurosawa

gren13
Org Profile

Post by gren13 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:53 am

could you guys tell me if this is bootleg? ive made the mistake twice. acording to what this thread has said. im sry i didn't know. :cry:

http://www.a1anime.com/specific.php?pro ... 80%99s+Cut

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:26 am

gren13 wrote:could you guys tell me if this is bootleg? ive made the mistake twice. acording to what this thread has said. im sry i didn't know. :cry:
Even if it is, you can get it for cheaper at Best Buy. o.O

It's bilingual - so it's not one of the old Chinese/English subtitled bootlegs (it would be a copy of the US version instead). They don't tell much about it there, though - and like I said, you can get that dvd for about $15 in stores (maybe not the director's cut, but I doubt it matters). I don't know what company produced the ovas, but check that little signature in the bottom right-hand corner against other pics of this particular dvd to see if it matches up. Otherwise, shop a bit more, you can get that cheaper if you shop around (especially if you go to physical stores, I know the ovas are being marked down in stores near me - not much audience for them here).

Return to “General Anime”