What Are You Listening To Right Now? (read 1st post please)

This forum is for the general discussion of Music.

Postby Qyot27 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:41 am

Sarah McLachlan, "World On Fire"

I need something to mellow out to between an endless barrage of KMFDM and various J-Pop artists.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

Postby TaranT » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:28 am

Just finished watching an odd sci-fi flick called "Smilla's Sense of Snow". (You didn't say it had to be music.)

Right now I've switched to the latest mix from Armin Van Buuren, one of the best trance/progressive DJs out there. This is a 2-CD set called "A State of Trance 2004".

Oceanlab's "(Singing) Satellite" just finished, moving into Robert Nickson's "Spiral" now...both are very good although I'd pick Fictivision's "Escape" as the best of this set.

Amazon has some clips here.
TaranT

Postby Moonlight Soldier » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:46 am

See Saw- Emerald Green

I am permanently stuck on this song. It's so pretty ^_^ Though I spent hours trying to find the complete version since the cd it came on (.hack//legend of twilight OST) only features the t.v. version ~_~
Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells

Postby Otohiko » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 am

Gentle Giant - On Reflection (live)

Of all the bands I've heard, I consider GG to be the most talented as far as pure instrumental ability and group-work go. Always sounding very together and diverse - and each of them played about a half-dozen instruments, and it's not a stretch to say you hear most of those in this song. Always pushing their mix of rock with Renaissance English music. Old-schoo 8)
Otohiko

Postby DDramone » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:32 am

can ya post here more then once?

susan, subhumans
DDramone

Postby Otohiko » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:35 am

DDramone wrote:can ya post here more then once?

susan, subhumans

Yes, but as Paizuri said, try to post some comments along with the song, or it gets the lock :roll:
Otohiko

Postby Kai Stromler » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:36 am

Flametal - Bruja Tortura
Chuck Mangione - Children of Sanchez (Overture)

The Flametal started off a mild Latin kick abetted by my brother's taste in '70s epic jazz. If I owned any Gun Frontier I'd be seriously plotting on a video with the Mangione track, even though it's 14 minutes long.

Flametal is what you get when a high-level flamenco guitarist goes back to his speed metal roots and picks up some star-level sidemen. It's occasionally reminiscent of Marty Friedman's heavily ornamented solo work, and occasionally of the jazz-patterns-with-metal-instrumentation feel of Cynic or Death's Human album. Regardless, neat stuff.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
IT'S TIME!
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available
Kai Stromler

Postby Otohiko » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:41 am

Kai Stromler wrote:Flametal
--K

Holy shit, this is awesome. Now here's a type of metal I definitely dig. My father actually plays flamenco guitar for a living, among other things - and despite my over-exposure to the said musical style, this still sounds darn fresh/unusual to me!
Otohiko

Postby Kai Stromler » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:58 am

hey, glad someone else found it interesting. "The Summoning", on this page, is a slightly more traditional exploration of some of the same ideas, definitely recommended for those who like the new tracks and for fans of Apocalyptica's original material.

--K

(ontopic: NP = Ben Woods, "The Summoning")
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
IT'S TIME!
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available
Kai Stromler

Postby DrngdKreationz » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Today's a cover day I keep switching back between covers songs the first track consists of Johnny Cash's Nine inch nails cover to "hurt" For some odd reason this song has been keeping pretty calm here @ the office and it's almost just kinda gets me thinking because its this morose "i know im about to die and i wanted to do this so say goodbye before I go song" or atleast thats how I interpret it. I mean this is the guy who sung the song "a boy named sue" (gr8 drinking song) and i hear this cover that he does and its just like. Damn... he's gone now. :(

the other is pretty much another relaxing cover by INOJ to the song Time after time. It almost counter acts the thoughts that get brought up by "hurt" and put me back into this bubbly. relaxed. feeling. just enough to trudge through the workday. Although other songs come and pass through the playlist i find myself going back to these two tracks.

well thats it for today
DrngdKreationz

Postby Otohiko » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:20 pm

King Crimson - Improv: ZoomZoom

Ow. This has to be the least AMVable and most pretentious thing to post here. i) It's from a rare collectible official CD sourced from an unauthorized recording of the first ever outing by the band's most legendary lineup in Germany, 1972. ii) It's completely improvised iii) it's 44 minutes long and, on top of that, preceded by another 22 minute improv.

What to say? All I can say is that this has just been the most fun and fulfilling music experience I've had in the last 3 months or so :) Back then, in 1972, it was music that noone else had ever heard or even dreamed of. Today, it still sounded brand new - maybe not surprising, since in the last almost-32 years, nothing like it had ever appeared again :roll:
Otohiko

Postby )v(ajin Koji » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:56 pm

Rob D - "Clubbed To Death"

My favourite track from "The Matrix" album, closely followed by Rage Against The Machine's "Wake Up" although I simply like that from a guitar point of view.

Anyway, DDRamone and others can you please post comments along with your music choices and also even post your music choices :roll:
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
)v(ajin Koji

Postby )v(ajin Koji » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:58 pm

paizuri wrote:The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It

Well I'm still listening to Rob D - "Clubbed To Death" but I thought I'd just recommend Mr. Brightside and say I might be going to see The Killers live on the 8th of July.
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
)v(ajin Koji

Postby Akai Rurouni » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:23 pm

Wow, I never realized before how much music that I've never ever heard of before there is. :wink:

Anyhow, something you've probably all heard of:
"Magic Carpet Ride" - Steppenwolf
Akai Rurouni
Akai Rurouni

Postby badmartialarts » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:56 pm

Man or Astroman? - "______/myopia"

This is just such a cool song (even with the weird title)...if it wasn't over 6 minutes I'd so make some pretty shiny romance video out of it, assuming I can make a pretty shiny romance video; I've never tried. Might make one anyway, just not sure if I can maintain visual energy for such a long song.

Starts off kind of strange, but it builds into a power-chord crescendo reminiscent of 80s power rock love songs, like Whitesnake used ta do. Ends kind of strange too, but that's MOAM. :)
Life's short.
eBayhard.
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist

PreviousNext

Return to Music Discussion