Post by R-A-N-M-A » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:51 am

Is it worth it?
- New Banner in the Works -

Still Johnny Fish

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:22 am

Yes :)

yeah get <a href="http://www.maincomp.com/shop/product.jsp?id=138">this one</a>. Uber cheap and better then some sleazy 128MB Geforce3. BTW the cheapest 128MB Geforce3 is $108! so it's like. Might was well pay the extra $32 for the extra performance.

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:23 am

err I mean $39 :lol:

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:27 pm

From http://www.bash.org/?13969 :

<[]qube> Plz, someone tell me where i can download GEFORCE 4, i need it, i got so low fps in cs =( /msg me FAST!!!!!!!
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:47 pm

Hahaha...I use to think that only "knowledgeable" people participateed in the web...well not quite, I've learned a few things since coming out of the Off Topic's jungle.

Anyway, try out this card instead. Geforce Ti 4200 650 Ultra Xp. It has great performance plus really good DVD software for a price of around 100 some dolloars. It was previewd in PC Gamer magazine and given a 96%.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:42 pm

The Ti 4200 is a worthy purchase, and if you check out Nvidia's web site they have an impressive new graphics rendering program that uses their Cg programming language. C for graphics has huge potential and was inevitably the next step for graphics, it allows major control on all levels of programing for graphics and reduces file size and looks truly amazing. And it's all real time (with the ability to be highly interactive), no preproduction and then rendering a static scene/video.

OK, that's my speil for CG, now back to the card, for your money Ti4200 is a great deal. Depennding on your needs the 64 Mb has faster RAM (barely) than the 128. But if you have a large amount of graphics, animation and editing going on the 128 Mb is worth the extra few bucks.

I highly recomend it, it has served me well this past month.

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:00 pm

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but hopefully it isn’t too far off topic. I know the newer faster cards help with rendering a 3D scene, but do they speed up render times in Premiere? :idea:

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:21 pm

Sinime wrote:Ok, this might be a dumb question, but hopefully it isn’t too far off topic. I know the newer faster cards help with rendering a 3D scene, but do they speed up render times in Premiere? :idea:

No.

Premiere pretty much does all its calculations off the CPU. Now if you have a program that takes advantage of Direct3D or OpenGL, you may see a improvement. I believe Combustion has OpenGL acceleration. However, most of these programs only use the OpenGL or previews of compostions or effects. The actual final production is usually always headed to the CPU since it's more flexible :\

~klinky

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:17 pm

That's the beauty of Cg, it dramatically increases the flexability of the GPU.
Anyone who has a GeForce 4 Ti go to the Nvidia website and download Cg browser.

Mechaman
Org Profile

Post by Mechaman » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:53 pm

I find it extremely entertaining to make mental guesses on how much the people who froth about CG, and hardware shader languages in general, actually know about the subject.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”