Please don't hit me for this...

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Please don't hit me for this...

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:22 pm

Having said that...figured I'd run this idea by you guys that I've been toying with...
assorted clips of Dragonball (original, not DBZ) set to "Dare To Be Stupid" by Weird Al Yankovic...from what I saw it hasn't been done and the lyrics can work with it....

Think it'd work?

*braces for any potential pain*

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:50 pm

(struggles to holds down arm like Dr. Strangelove)

I....I don't think so. But that's my opinion only.

What did you have in mind for lyrics such as "sit around the house and watch Leave it To Beaver" or "take some wooden nickels/look for Mr. Goodbar"?

RichLather
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:54 pm

(rereads original post)

It's a little easier to keep my arm down this time, since the original Dragonball is a far nuttier show than DBZ.

However, I wish that Dr. Slump were available domestically, 'cos that would be my choice. Perhaps even Excel Saga.

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:48 pm

Some of the clip ideas I had (I admit, some WILL take a bit of an interpretation, like the ones you mentioned)

*Put down that chainsaw and listen to me (Emperor Pilaf prepping to rip Shou a new one over who farted)
*It's time for us to join in the fight (still trying to figure a good choice for this one...I could just stick any random fight scene but that just doesn't feel right)
*It's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys (the snotnosed kid dressed as a cowboy shooting Oolong with a slingshot)
*It's time to let the bedbugs bite (Goku getting caught by Bunyon's (I think that was it) tongue...that be one big-ass bedbug)
*You better put all your eggs in one basket (Goku and Krillen's milk delivery...told you it would take some interpretation)
*You better count your chickens before they hatch (undecided as of yet)
*You better sell some wine before it's time (see above)
*You better find youself an itch to scratch (Goku scratching himself while acting like a monkey during the Budokai)
*You better squeeze all the charmin you can when Mr. Whipples not around (Major Metallitron attempts to crush Goku...another interpretation approach...)
*Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan (either Goku getting zapped by Bunyon or nearly frying himself at Frying Pan Mountain)
*Talk with your mouth full (one of the many scenes of Goku stuffing his face...probably one with stunned reactions)
*Bite the hand that feeds you (While it's technically DBZ, the clip of young Goku biting elder Gohan)
*Bite off more than you can chew (undecided as of yet)
*What can you do...DARE TO BE STUPID (one of the 'bad jokes resulting in everyone falling over' scenes)
*Take some wooden nickles (undecided)
*Look for Mr. Goodbar (Goku searching for the rock when training with Roshi)
*Get your mojo working now (Goku Kamehamehaing the car)
*I'll show you how (...and the proudly admitting it)
*You can dare to be stupid (another mass fall-over)
*You can turn the other cheek (undecided)
*You can just give up the ship (Bulma and Krillen abandoning the sinking pirate's ship)
*You can eat a bunch of sushi then forget to leave a tip (More clips of Goku's binging...and then letting Roshi pay the bill...)
*Dare to be stupid, dare to be stupid (Another of mass collapses...by now you see this pattern, yes?)
It's so easy to do, dare to be stupid, we're all waiting for you (You guessed it...more people being felled by bad humor...)
*It's time to make a mountain out of a mole hill, so can I have a volunteer (Goku attempting to push the big boulder Roshi set as a training standard)
*There's no more time for crying over spilled milk (Krillen thinking Goku's dead)
*Now it's time for crying in your beer (undecided)
*Settle down raise a family join the PTA, buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet, then party till your broke and they drag you away (ok...this might call for some Z clips...for that I'll apologize in advance...unless there's something near the end of DB I'm not sure of)
It's ok.....you can dare to be stupid (Ok...how about we move away from the equilibrium challenged...now it's just random acts of stupidity...)
*It's like spitting on a fish (Goku and Krillen getting chased by a shark)
*It's like barking up a tree (Goku and Krillen being harrassed by bees whilst tied to a tree...yep...more interpreting)
*It's like I said you gotta buy one if you wanna get one free (Goku holding two of the Dragonballs)
*Dare to be stupid, dare to be stupid, it's so easy to do, we're all waiting for you (more clips of idiocy, and possibly weird faced reactions...I apologize or being INCREDIBLY vague on these...I still plan to get exact clips later)
*Burn your candle at both ends (Frying Pan Mountain)
*Look a gift horse in the mouth (Goku prying open Bunyon's mouth from the inside)
*Mashed potatoes can be your friends (The spiky haired one stuffing his face yet again)
*(still trying to make out this line)
*You can sit around the house and watch Leave It To Beaver (Krillen walking in on Roshi ogling the women in his aerobics videos...not quite LitB...but something tells me none of them would watch that)
*The future's up to you, so what you gonna do (haven't decided)
*Dare to be stupid, dare to be stupid (Ok...you have an idea of the kind of stuff that may wind up here...so I'll just mark these as '(*)' )
*What did I say? (Attempted sync over one of the chars, probably Pilaf)
*Dare to be stupid (*)
*Tell me what did I say? (Synced again this time a diff char)
*Dare to be stupid (*)
*It's all right! (Another character proclaiming the joys of ignorance)
*Dare to be stupid (*)
*We can be stupid all night! (Another character)
*Dare to be stupid (*)
*I can't hear you (another lip sync)
*Dare to be stupid (Bulma screaming at Goku close range)
*Ok I can hear you now (synced over Goku)
*Dare to be stupid (*)
*Let's go, dare to be stupid. dare to be stupid (repeats with more clips of the characters, well...daring to be stupid...)

Keep in mind this is still a very rough layout...I probably won't even start gathering clips for a while on this...

RichLather
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:51 pm

I daresay you've given this more thought than some people might... keep working at it; I think you've got an idea here.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:02 pm

If this guy keeps at this pace, he'll be done before i even start. Anyway, great IDEA, even though it is Dragonball related. Your idea should be pretty easy to pull off so long as you stick to the *plan.* That up there is your plan, right?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with Dragonball...little (chibi?) Goku going around finding magical balls and kicking azz in teh same time, very cool. It's too bad he grew up to be such a disliked character at the a-m-v.org.

Japanese (Newbie) Language question:

What exactly does CHIBI mean?
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:35 pm

Lyrs wrote:If this guy keeps at this pace, he'll be done before i even start. Anyway, great IDEA, even though it is Dragonball related. Your idea should be pretty easy to pull off so long as you stick to the *plan.* That up there is your plan, right?
Yep....I find writing them down in advance helps (I'm debating posting the planned layout for a vid set to "The Radiation Song" using assorted anime) so the finished product will be similar

As far as I know chibi is little, but I'm probably wrong
*Resident shameless Gundam fanboy*

RichLather
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:32 pm

No, you're correct.

"Chibi" does mean "little" or "small".

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:13 pm

GO FOR IT!!!

Dare to be stupid!

Wait... no don't be stupid. But that sounds like one of the few Dragonball related vids I might watch/like. Dragonball was far better than DBZ in my opinion. And the fact that you've put so much thought into it makes it better. It's more than a simple action vid. Good luck... if you choose to make it. If not... *scoffs* you're not getting any good luck from me! Unless you make another video. Yeah.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:28 pm

Good to see that there's enough support behind it...I've started assemlbing but it's gonna be a while (a lot of clip sources on this one) I'll probably end up turning out a few others before it but I WILL do this one...
*Resident shameless Gundam fanboy*

Return to “General AMV”