A-Kon 15 Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
rubyeye
Org Profile

A-Kon 15 Winners

Post by rubyeye » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:01 pm

I just got back and wanted to quickly post the winners for those interested. Scribbling notes in the dark is hard to decipher so if there is a mistake, I or someone else can correct it later. So, FYI ~

Artistic / Technical
Carlos Corral - Dreams with Love
anime: Kare Kano

Fan Choice
Caleb Lunt - Devil Dance in Georgia
anime: Hellsing / Child's Toy

Artistic Runner Up
Brad Demoss - I Don't Want To Miss a Thing
anime: SaiKano

Technical Runner Up
Brad Demoss - B-ko Blues
anime: Project A-ko

I'll post my comments and reaction about the convention later.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:13 pm

Akon belongs to Brad once again!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:35 am

I assume Machine's AMV is actually Drunk With Love.

dongster138
Org Profile

Post by dongster138 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:27 pm

i can't believe my video got cut, that makes me really sad, i just wanted to see it in front of all those ppl, =( they said 4 would get cut but actually 7 got cut.....WTF

Braveliver
Org Profile

Videos at A-Kon

Post by Braveliver » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:53 pm

I know how you feel. My <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 1">Requiem for a Vampire</a> was cut last year, and that was my best video.

I just have to ask. Did they show my entries, <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 30">Better be Home Soon</a> or <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 1373">Love Song for a Vampire</a>? And did they show <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 75">Bright Eyes</a> at the showcase? I wasn't able to make it to the con myself. I just wondered if they got shown, and how they looked.
Ah, yah wan tah know how I got mah name do ya? Well now, when I was a wee little tyke of 1 year ah wen a crawling up to a keg o' fire ale an started licken the spout. Mah mother saw meh and says, "Ah what a BraveLiver you got there," an the name stuck.
You can view my videos by <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... ">clicking here</a>. Please leave an opinion. I really want to know what you think.

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:45 pm

Well I wasn't there for the contest but the awards show was pretty good. The larger setting at Adam's Mark Hotel is so much better - huge floors, lots of space, and the screening rooms were much better. I don't know how well the videos played during the contest/showcase, but the awards show was decent.

This year was a milestone.
** First time every that a single video sweeps ALL THE JUDGING AWARDS: Artistic, Technical, Judges' Choice.
That honor went to Carlos for his Drunk With Love video.

Because of that they decided to show the runner up winner(s) for the Artistic and Technical Awards.
Both went to Brad Demoss.

____

Now let me say something here about Akon's video awards and the videos "they" judge as winners.

1) AKon does not do categories like "action, drama, comedy, etc." Lots of conventions do this already, and while I and others have had discussions with the staff about this, I think it is one of the things that makes AKon unique. But this also affects how they judge videos.

2) If you watch the videos Carlos won at Akon this year and last year, and also Brad Demoss' winning videos, I will argue this.....It does not take much to impress the judges or win at AKON! These videos all have very "simple" editing, and little or no "special effects". Though, one of the things Chris (the guy presenting the awards) says is that "unique" music does play a factor. However, ultimately they look for how well the anime (and it's editing) work well with the soundtrack to convey the "message, mood, or story".

____

It is confirmed that next year they will support digital submissions.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:48 pm

Do they actually have microphones at Akon now? :roll:

*remembers last year's amv contest with the host having to scream across the room without a mic*
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:01 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Do they actually have microphones at Akon now? :roll:

*remembers last year's amv contest with the host having to scream across the room without a mic*
Some panels in the rooms had it but not set up in the theaters. It was held in the smaller screening room but I could still here him way in the back. I guess the acoustics were pretty good in there.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:49 pm

rubyeye wrote:2) If you watch the videos Carlos won at Akon this year and last year, and also Brad Demoss' winning videos, I will argue this.....It does not take much to impress the judges or win at AKON! These videos all have very "simple" editing, and little or no "special effects". Though, one of the things Chris (the guy presenting the awards) says is that "unique" music does play a factor. However, ultimately they look for how well the anime (and it's editing) work well with the soundtrack to convey the "message, mood, or story".
Hm, interesting statement. I suppose if you consider good conveyance of the "message, mood, or story" to be easier than impressive FX...
rubyeye wrote:It is confirmed that next year they will support digital submissions.
Whoo!
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:53 pm

Impressive FX are meaningless if they don't surve the video. If the point is simply to "look cool", it's pointless.

Return to “AMV Contests”