Also....

Family Guy, Southpark, Vida Guerra > anime
"Don't compare me to a demented poster!" - Moonlight Soldier

Knowledge is power, Power corrupts
...Study hard and be evil

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:05 am

Anders Sandberg wrote:...A futuristic police procedural, Stand Alone Complex centers around Section 9, a secretive intelligence agency dealing with high-tech crime. The main character is Major Kusanagi, an elite ex-soldier whose body has been entirely replaced by robotics. Only her brain is natural, and sometimes she wonders about that too.

The criminal stories are often simple, but that’s almost beside the point. The real question isn’t who the culprit is but why the culprit did it: The series depicts intricate infighting within the government, with the intelligence agencies jockeying with the police and the military while the Department of Health uses other departments as tools for its own schemes....
The rest of the article, "Anime Dreams": http://www.reason.com/0405/cr.as.anime.shtml

billy_wires
Org Profile

Post by billy_wires » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:16 am

I think western TV is one of the greatest hinderances to me enjoying the anime I spent so much on. I just turn it on, and watch whats on. Come to think of it, I don't think I've found a time where I turn on tv and don't find anything to watch... :o

)v(ajin Koji
Org Profile

Post by )v(ajin Koji » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:12 am

angelx03 wrote:I only watch 24 and a few comedy sitcoms on TV.
x2 + the odd episode of the Simpsons.
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rorschach
Org Profile

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:12 am

Heck, practically anything you can get as a video is better than TV, whether you're in the East or the West. There's no schedule to follow, no commercial break, and no station logo.

Daio Kaji
Org Profile

Post by Daio Kaji » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:39 pm

TV (western or eastern) in general :down:
stuff you get on dvd box sets cause tons of ppl already told you it's good so you're not as much in risk of suckitude :up:

most anime watchers tend to like anime better than US TV, it's not surprising considering the anime we watch in the US (if you bought it) is already something that has earned it's merits, what we watch on TV (western or whatever) usually is a show/movie that's basically being tested, besides pilot episodes, TV is the next testing ground on whether or not to continue a show

so when we watch TV, every show has the potential to suck, but when you buy something that has been shipped over seas, that show/movie has already become a success in some way, so it's generally liked more, i'm sure the japanese have a much lower love for their programming, seeing as how they get to see everything they produce, good and bad.

i'm sure they still agree their shows are more high-brow but it'd be interesting to know who's movies they like better
If you're reading this, you've gone too far...PREPARE FOR RETRIBUTION!!
Don't judge an AMV by it's anime.. u nooB ;D

Nekoboy Sal
AD Copycat
Org Profile

Post by Nekoboy Sal » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Dose any one remember when the SciFi chanale was cool? I tink they changed management, twice even! Back in the day anime was shown almost every weekend! Actualy Gigantor was at 6 in the morning so I watched it before school. I have prof! If you have an older Pineer anime DVD you can check out those pioneer previews. One of them is for Green Ren (or someting). It says "As seen on the SciFi Channel" Also in the SciFi dot com, there is a section called the collony. I'm pretty sure thats the section about anime.
The SciFi channel was the last hope I had in Wester TV. I'm sad. :(
I was happy...
BACK WHEN THE SCIFI CHANNEL WAS COOL!
Don't you agree?
No, I'm not dead...
I've just moved to Politicaly Corect "Republic of Ireland".

ryuu_hime13
Org Profile

Post by ryuu_hime13 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:07 pm

I don't watch much TV anymore except for anime, actually. My schoolwork occupies too much of my time. Anime is my main hobby, so I it's the only thing I really go out of my way to MAKE time for. I started writing an anime script earlier this year and I found it to be a lot of fun...because with anime, basically anything goes, which I like. There have always been a lot of ideas I've had for stories and novels which I knew would never fly (due to censorship) but could work out as anime plots.
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
-Akira Kurosawa

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:17 pm

on the fli side though, i love western comedy. just that well, yeah its realy funny, and it allways has bein. in comparison, i rekon most anime comedies are kinda boring

ryuu_hime13
Org Profile

Post by ryuu_hime13 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:38 pm

I dunno about that...FLCL was pretty funny. Though I'm not sure that qualifies as comedy - come to think of it, I'm not sure wtf FLCL is supposed to be.
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
-Akira Kurosawa

Return to “General Anime”