Second Instrumentality: Around The World in 80 Minutes

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
rose4emily
Org Profile

Second Instrumentality: Around The World in 80 Minutes

Post by rose4emily » Mon May 31, 2004 8:58 pm

As the first Instrumentality project, Animasia, is wrapping up, it is time to open the second for those who missed the first, or were looking for a different kind of instrumental AMV project.

The concept behind "Around the World in 80 Minutes" is to follow the path of Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days" with images and music. The AMV segments will represent the stops, while the connecting footage will stand in for the journey between each set of cities.

Before creating a section for this project, you will need to make a post in this thread stating which section you will be making, what song you will be using, and a brief description of your anime choice and video concept. If you decide after claiming a section that you will not be able to or no longer wish to complete it you should also give notice in this thread that you are releasing that section so another editor can claim it. I am also imposing a limit of one incomplete video claim per editor - i.e. no editor can claim a second section until finishing their first to the satisfaction of those actively involved in the project.

The sections available are (based on a list given to me by Kalium):

01 Paris
02 Port Said (head of the Suez Canal)
03 Bombay
04 Calcutta
05 Hong Kong
06 Edo
07 Sandwich Islands
08 San Francisco
09 New York
10 Paris

The section for each city should use music and visuals from or clearly connected to or suggestive of the city it portrays.

For this project I am also allowing animation from all countries into this project. As long as at least one section of the ten has Japanese animation this project is within the .org rules on Anime content, and I can't ignore the fact that some of these places might be better covered by, for example, a Disney film (plot and historical innacuracies aside, the visuals in some are very good).

---

The other rules for this project are:

No graphic violence.

No hentai (don't know how anyone'd think hentai would fit anyhow, but I might as well explicitly ban it from the beginning).

No music that draws focus to English-language lyrics (word in other languages will be permitted if they match the city being shown).

All final submissions must be in a 16:9 aspect ratio, or suitable for cropping to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

---

A web page will soon be up under the "Anime Resources" section of my website (check the 'web' button under my sig). It will restate these rules and be updated if any major changes need to be made to the project guidelines as it progresses. It will also point to the FTP server and directory path that will be used for WIP and completed submussions when the sections reach a point where they can be shared and opinions may be gathered from the other participants in this project.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon May 31, 2004 11:47 pm

Hmm, kind of odd to be avoiding english-language music for New York and SF, but alright...

I don't think I'm gonna rush with this yet. One of the main problems for me is lack of footage; music I could probably find for any of those if I dig hard enough.

I do have eyes on the east though, for the most part...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:02 am

I'm actually looking at putting together animated maps (ala Indiana Jones) that could be used as transitions, to indicate where the next video is drawing from. You know, the scenes with the animated maps with the red lines and the planes, etc...

I also have to agree that SF and NY should be allowed to use English-language lyrics. I mean, it only makes sense, right? (Although, I can see Spanish for SF)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:06 am

'I left my heart in San Francisco......... ' :lol:

That would actually be a great song to use for that. Especially since it mentions a few other cities that are in the project.

Damn, except where does one find anime that features that city?

NY flashes by in some, but SF... hmm...

Same goes for a bunch of cities, actually.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:12 am

Actually, since I believe the route from SF to NY goes through Chicago, Gunsmith Cats comes to mind there.

And no, I don't think there is a lot of anime that involves SF. The safest bet would likely be to find something involing a big bridge that could be Photoshopped golden.

"New York, New York" comes to mind for New York, being one the first songs people thik of when they think of New York (Broadway is always a plus).

For many of the cities, I think it will be more of what kind of mood and setting can be created via use of music (especially in the Sandwhich Islands - how many anime have scenes there?) than explicit footage match.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:25 am

Well, Sandwich Islands are easier to fake - there's enough islands around to match those. New York on the other hand... well, in some places it's feasible (just stick a big city in there), but eventually you'll need some landmarks and other such recognizable things. Seeing as there's none (for most people) in Sandwich Islands, it's easy to avoid that situation there.

Something like Port Said - well, most Arabic cities will do well for that, I don't think anything too specific is needed. Bombay and Calcutta are kind of harder - I haven't seen much Indian stuff in anime. Hong Kong has to be there somewhere. Edo... I'll be amazed if someone doesn't jump this right away. And for Paris - Noir is one. And there has to be a couple more.

I'm recalling a few eps of Digimon where they went around the world and stuff (why? I don't remember...) :roll:

And it'll be funny if someone pulls this out...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1077
:lol:

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:39 am

I remember that show, too.... I think I used to watch it on TV when I was litte.

As for Bombay and Calcutta, I can easily see them getting grouped together. I doubt that many (if any) around here know enough about the differences to illustrate them well.

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:18 am

Kallium: Maps... so it was you who came up with that one. I'm definately going to use that suggestion, probably with an overlay of live footage of the mode of transportation used (makes note to dig through grandmother's basement for old, yellowed, National Geographic maps to see if scanning in and panning across those with a digitally added red line would be the ticket for passage on this journey).

Otohiko: English language for American cities... I guess it does make sense. Pulls off the last stop on the "instrumental" thing, but this is a different sort of project, so I don't see why not. I'd still like to see 'old' or 'old-sounding' music (such as the suggestions already posted), though to keep the feel of the project outside of 1990's-2000's pop and rock. I'll have to put that update of the web site when it goes up. The pure instrumental bit can make a comeback for the "Of Man" third Instrumentality project when I get to starting that one up.

Wouldn't it be nice if the first poster in a forum was able to edit the first post?

Brain-Carnival
Org Profile

Post by Brain-Carnival » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:55 am

If i could join the project i would do the hongkong section.
Anime:Ghost in the Shell
Music: Not quite sure, but i think i would use a slow instrumental/classical song.

Just tell me if that section is still free^^

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 pm

It's not taken unless you see a post by someone taking it. So yes, you can do the section. I would like to see a specific song and general concept, though, that being the criterion by which I can tell someone is ready to actually start work on the video.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”