Guides and AMVapp Public Alpha/Beta Test

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sun May 30, 2004 6:50 pm

Going through The Guide:
The Guide wrote:Nowadays we have 100GB RAID arrays being common in not-so-expensive consumer setups. 10 years ago, 10GB was an ENORMOUS amount of space!!
I feel compelled to add a footnote: on HDs only. Tape drives, then and now, hold a lot more datd.

In lossless compression, are you going to address Lagarith for space issues?
The Guide wrote:(although this can be variable throughout the file depending on if you use what's called variable titrate)
O_o
I thought this was a relatively dry subject matter. Seems I was wrong.

Anyway, in the XviD section, shouldn't there be links to both the XviD guide (someone should ask SysKin to help with that) and to Koepi's page? Oh yes: remember that XviD isn't in alpha stage anymore.

DVD Analysis page:
What is this DGIndex, offhand? I think it's a reference to something in DVD2AVI, but I'm not sure.

With the contrasting pictures, it might be a good idea to circle what you're talking about. Otherwise, it can be hard to tell unless you know exactly what you're looking for (good vs. bad chroma pictures being case in point).

In the discussion of interlacing methods, it's not well expmained how to tell visually in each case. Also, "a picture is worth a thousand word" is very true. (On a side note, someone should start compiling a database of this stuff. Make all our lives simpler, except for the DB admin.)
this is one of the reasons that despite liking in the UK
I hate typos.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sun May 30, 2004 8:23 pm

DGIndex is a newer version of DVD2AVIdg.

Ian, I've not looked at the guide yet, but I'll look at it tomorrow.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 10:07 pm

Kalium wrote:In lossless compression, are you going to address Lagarith for space issues?
It's not particularly quick to edit with, though.
Kalium wrote:Anyway, in the XviD section, shouldn't there be links to both the XviD guide (someone should ask SysKin to help with that) and to Koepi's page?
I don't see the need to link to an external XviD guide - mine has everything the amv creator needs (although a footnote about trellis in 1.0 is required). Koepi's page, yes that needs linking.
Kalium wrote:DVD Analysis page:
What is this DGIndex, offhand? I think it's a reference to something in DVD2AVI, but I'm not sure.
Like NDW said.
Kalium wrote:With the contrasting pictures, it might be a good idea to circle what you're talking about. Otherwise, it can be hard to tell unless you know exactly what you're looking for (good vs. bad chroma pictures being case in point).
Exactly what could I circle in those pictures?
Kalium wrote:In the discussion of interlacing methods, it's not well expmained how to tell visually in each case.
You are going to have to give me examples. Other than blended fields (which I already have pictures for) I don't see how I could give any extra informatoin about interlacing types with a still.

Also, in the future can people refer to specific file names when reporting typos, please, as it makes my job much easier.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun May 30, 2004 11:41 pm

Concerning AMVapp

By default the plugins remain during the uninstallation. If they get an error saying "Mpeg2Source: Couldn't open file" durring the Avisynth tests tell them to remove the previous version of mpeg2dec from their plugin directory. Either that of or tell them to delete the plugin folder alltogether and to reinstall the plugins from the AMVapp.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sun May 30, 2004 11:53 pm

Just to illustrate. I know that the first time I looked at that, I spent about five minutes trying to figure out what I was supposed to be seeing.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:It's not particularly quick to edit with, though.
This is true. It is also true that sometimes HD space is a larger concern than speed.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:I don't see the need to link to an external XviD guide - mine has everything the amv creator needs (although a footnote about trellis in 1.0 is required)
That's what I meant (yours being the XviD guide I had in mind). I just thought that it should be linked along with the main discussion of XviD. Come to think of it, xvid.org should be linked too.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:You are going to have to give me examples. Other than blended fields (which I already have pictures for) I don't see how I could give any extra informatoin about interlacing types with a still.
OK, so you've got me there. My major problem is that from your descriptions I can't tell exactly how any given DVD on my shelf is interlaced (which, I think, is the idea). I think specific things to look for and examples would be ideal. A set of criteria, (tests, if you will) to determine the interlacing method. There is discussion of the methods, as well as how they are done, but exactly what they looks like is a little hazy. I read the section on pure interlacing, and thought "so, I tell this apart from telecine & pulldown how, exactly?". There has to be a better way than researching the actual production of the show.

As for using stills, you might be able to use short GIFs to illustrate. That, or a series of stills.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon May 31, 2004 12:32 am

For the interlacing you hav to do it based on two things 1) what DGIndex has told you about the frame type and 2) What you can see in virtualdub mod.

If you read through the guide page by page and dont skip parts this should be clear.

I cannot highlight the differences between hybrid and telecined sources using still or even gifs. It's just not possible.

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Mon May 31, 2004 4:19 am

Not a big deal but it would really help if you change the date at the bottom of the guides for ALL the pages that have changed :oops:
For example this one :
http://amvs.34sp.com/guides/avspostintro.html

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon May 31, 2004 9:59 am

With the b-frames fix which particularly affected anime and the trellis fix, it would be wise to include a build of 1.1 instead of 1.0, since the UI hasn't changed at all yet :/
Then again, I guess we'd be waiting for a release by Koepi, which probably wouldn't happen for awhile.

I'll check out the guide then. I have to get on top of all this stuff, I've been a bit preoccupied with school ending and shit.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon May 31, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm considering including a gamrdev build in the app but I really like koepi's installer - so it's a hard choice at the moment.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon May 31, 2004 4:12 pm

OK I've updated the AMVapp to include a newer build of XviD that fixes the trellis and b-frame bugs.

The AMVapp basically runs the regular 1.0 installer and then copies the new dll's over the old ones. This allows all the cool stuff in the koepi installer to work fine and have an uninstaller etc.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”