Guides and AMVapp Public Alpha/Beta Test

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Guides and AMVapp Public Alpha/Beta Test

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 12:58 pm

Hello all!

In order to accelerate development of the guides and the new amvapp to their ultimate conclusion I'm making things more public.

Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> Guide Updates

This also contains a beta of the latest AMVapp release.

Important Notes:

The amvapp is for testing purposes only. Although I think all the software is in a useable state at the moment, things may go wrong. Also, any d2v files made with this release will need to be remade when the final amvapp is released as new versions of DGMPEGDec (formerly dvd2avi) require d2v files to be remade.

Furthermore, the guides are by no means complete, and are missing the following:

- Export guides
- New Cleanup Guides
- Container Guides
- Convention file preparation guides.

I also haven't touch any of the audio stuff. It's the quickest to update and least essential so I'm leaving that until later.

Even a lot of the "new" pages still need a lot of work, so have patience. I'm expecting very quick progress now though.

How you can help

Point out issues either with the amvapp or the guide. There are many simple errors with the guide as they are hosted at the moment, including incorrect links. Often these are due to pages that are mid update.

Most importantly I'd like feedback on the new methods and how the amvapp works for you. Readability of the guides is also important, so feedback on that is going to be important too.

Finally, try and keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

AD

[EDIT: Moved to local hosting]
Last edited by AbsoluteDestiny on Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 1:46 pm

w00t! first amvapp bug.

Doing a silent update - should be ready in 5 mins.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun May 30, 2004 3:24 pm

Random stuff:

There's a link error on the guide index page: "Indexing your DVD footage with DGIndex" points to a link on your local filesystem. I'd guess you know about this but it's safer to not reveal anything about the layout of your machine to the public :)

There's a grammatical error in the aspect ratio page (http://amvs.34sp.com/guides/video1.htm#4):
So for all intensive purposes we can say that the theoretically visual portion of an NTSC picture is 720x480.
I'm guessing that the post-processing page (http://amvs.34sp.com/guides/avspostqual.html) will eventually be updated to change VirtualDubAVS to VirtualDubMod?

Also, on a related note, how beneficial would it be to put some more words in about doing all cleaning and image enhancement operations as preprocessing rather than in postprocessing? From experience, the former method seems to work much, much better.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 3:36 pm

Thanks for the bug report.

As for preprocessing, I considered it but I'm not going to. I may make the paragraph I have on "it's a good idea" more verbose but I'm not going to have a preprocessing section. Actually I'm not sure if I have that paragraph in all 3 methods - it's in the clip making method right now.

I'm just going to link to the not yet written post processing section and those who want to get into what is in my opinion an advanved method can try it there.

So yes, I debated it but decided against it.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 4:36 pm

OK, I've added cleanup as part of the regular chain now (which is getting pretty long).

Everything goes in order but I'm worried about making things too complicated for folks who just want to get the footage and get editing... but then I guess it's those folks who make the most mistakes.

Thoughts so far anyone?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun May 30, 2004 5:29 pm

From http://amvs.34sp.com/guides/amvappavisynth.html refering for to make extensions visible in explorer.
Go to Tools in your directory window and choose folder options... and deselect "Hide file extenstions for known file types". This should allow you to see the file as "New Text Document.txt"
In my version of windows I have to click the 'view' tab after going to folder options. I'm pretty sure it is like that in the other versions also.

Also I recommend having people select "Display full path in the address bar" while they are in the folder options as it makes the copy and pasting of file locations much easier when creating avisynth scripts.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 5:32 pm

Good point, thanks.

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Sun May 30, 2004 6:07 pm

Just wanted to say that I hate you, Ian. I even haven't finished translating the old one :evil:

Nice work anyway, should we start translating it ?

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun May 30, 2004 6:08 pm

I'm changing stuff all the time... maybe in a week?

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun May 30, 2004 6:35 pm

Just a quick note. On the Ripping DVD Footage page you say:
<blockquote>2) FlaskMPEG. This one is simple, do not use FlaskMPEG. It's slower than method 4 (below), it has many bugs, lots of its extra features are ugly and don't work properly and it's just not very good. <b>It may seem simple, but the extra speed, accuracy and flexibility of method 4.</b></blockquote>
The bolded part is not a complete sentance.

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”