Suggestions for C-strike/Eva video? Help

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Lyrs
Org Profile

Suggestions for C-strike/Eva video? Help

Post by Lyrs » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:20 am

I've been playing around with the idea for a while now and it seems that this idea has merit. Since I haven't a clue as the what format to share this idea with you guys, I'm just gonna use the Op scoring format.

Originality: Counter-strike scenes mixed w/ anime (Probably only Evangelion, since it's teh only DVD i have) action scenes. My own remixed music, hopefully it doesn't kill me just to remix a song. This music video will be in the action catergory since it's teh easiest kind of music video to do. (Counter-strike = CS, for short.)

Capture/Output quality: Video qaulity's going to be around above average (6-7) since I have a limited harddrive (30 gigs).

Sound Quality: Music (Rammstein - Spieluhr) ripped from the cd (Mp3 format, so it doesn't take up too much space). Wav formats of Counter-strike/other sounds(death screams/explosions/voices). Experimenting with different sound remix software. <Suggestions for Remix software will be greatly appreciated!>

Action/Editing: Mostly, I'll be timing gun shots/voices with video scenes. Expect amateur editing at best.

Lip sync: Little to None. I have a few ideas about having some anime character's lip syncing to CS commands or taunts from other games but that will have to wait as I experiment.

Digital Effects: Little to none. I'm not using Premeire, just the freeware/shareware stuff for now. Saving money for the big thing.

Effort: BLood and guts will go into this (literally). Money isn't hard to get (I have an average student's pay job) but it'll decrease the amount of free time to work with the video.

Overall: Video has to look and sound very good because it's the most grand AMV idea I had ever since I knew of teh existence of AMV's.

Reviewable: It will be for most people....it's a hybrid action idea.

If this goes well and people download the video, it hopefully might start the trend for more people to actually remix their music. Why...if we get good enough with sound editing and creation, we might not not have to depend on teh Muisc industry for music anymore. We'll just create our own. (BIG Dream...)

Anyway, if you have suggestions on my idea or just owrds of encouragement, plz feel free to post them. Also, over the next several month's I might be posting new information on the progree of the video here on this thread and I might be asking some questions to. Check it out if you want to.

One more thing: I have around 1 minutes of picked scenes footage from Evangelion and currently the song is 4:46 minutes long. I have about 2 minutes worth of good CS footage, but I don't want to over do those because this music video is suppose to be *anime*.

I need another minute and 26 seconds worth of anime action footage. (20 seconds reserved for Intro & Ending). If you allow me to, I will use video scenes from your AMV. You get to pick which scenes I can use if you want. I won't use scenes with your digital effects or editing unless you also allow me to.

If I do use your AMV as a source (after getting your permission), I will note that in teh credits so that you will be recognized. Any anime footage is great. There's no need to stay within the Eva anime series.

Thank you for reading this LONG post and I do need your suggestions or thoughts on the video. They will be most appreciated.

<Progress: Searching for Music remix software/learning how to use them.>
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:47 pm

Counter-Strike and...EVA? :shock:

This'd be interesting to see, I'd suppose.
I'm out...

josepi
Org Profile

Remixer

Post by josepi » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:51 pm

Try Mixman Studio StudioDL, it takes forever to learn but you can start as soon as you get all the bells and whistles in order. I think you can get a trial from Mixman's site.[/url]
Love and Peace! ^_^
Josepi

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:14 am

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I want to stick with Audacity since I'm already learning how to use it and AD has a guide for the software.

<Still remixing some song's. Not sure which ones to use yet. But I don't think I'm going to use Ramstein though. Ramstein has been overused already.>
Orgasm - It's a Science

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:58 pm

I see this is a project that will exist for image only, perhaps as an exercise to hone editing skills.

Here are the lyrics, translated:

A small human only pretends to die
it wanted to be completely alone
the small heart stood still for hours
so they decided it was dead
it is being buried in wet sand *
with a music box in its hand

The first snow covers the grave
it woke the child very softly
in a cold winter night
the small heart is awakened

As the frost flew into the child
it wound up the music box
a melody in the wind
and the child sings from the ground

Up and down, rider **
and no angel climbs down
my heart does not beat anymore
only the rain cries on the grave
up and down, rider
a melody in the wind

The cold moon, in full magnificence
it hears the cries in the night
and no angel climbs down

Between hard oak boards
it will play with the music box
a melody in the wind

Up and down, rider
and no angel climbs down
up and down, rider
a melody in the wind

Up and down, rider

On Totensonntag they heard ***
this melody from god's field ****
then they unearthed it
they saved the small heart in the child

Up and down, rider
a melody in the wind
and the child sings on the ground
up and down, rider
and no angel climbs down

* The verb "verscharren" means to bury, specifically without ceremony.
** "Hoppe hoppe Reiter" is a line from a German children's song. "Hoppe hoppe" is slang for up and down, as in the movement when you are riding a horse.
*** "Totensonntag" translates to "Sunday of the dead". This is a holiday celebrated on the last Sunday before Advent in November. It is the day when protestant christians remember their dead. Information taken from here.
**** "Gottesacker" means "god's field" but refers to a graveyard.

Now, after reading those, do they match up with your idea to intersperse Evangelion and...and Counterstrike?

I'd be a lot more comfortable with this if the music were strictly instrumental, if it is meant to be uploaded for public scrutiny and distribution.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:12 pm

For songs in foreign languages, lyric match basically doesn't matter.

Everyone shouts up Kevin Caldwell's "Engel", but when I first saw it, I was absolutely unimpressed, and hard-put to answer why it did as well as it did.

But that's because I'm nearly fluent in German, and could tell that there was absolutely no lyric match going on. I saw lyrical mismatches where others saw only relentless lipsynch.

Nobody cares that the vocals in "Tainted Donuts" have nothing to do with the video; the music is just there as a substrate for the crossover parody.

Of course, by ratio of AMVs to total minutes of video source, Eva is more than 8 TIMES as overfished as Dragonball Z, so those who plan on doing an Eva video might do well to think twice, regardless of how good their concept is or how well the lyrics/music fit.

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:27 pm

I'm guilty of enjoying Caldwell's "Engel" without considering the lyrics.

However, as you've noted, the lyrical match in this case is second to another concept. For "Engel", it's that Asuka is speaking with the deep masculine voice while Shinji and everyone else get to have small, female voices.

What I disagree with is the idea that haveing lyrical match in foreign-language AMVs "doesn't matter". You can still have a killer ap of an AMV if you take the extra effort to make the lyrics match, whether it's in German, Japanese, or Mongolian throat singing.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:45 pm

For videos in the language of your majority audience, lyric matching is usually essential, and yes, when it's done in other languages, and done right, it can have a positive effect.

However, there's a trap here, if you do too much lyric match and the concept starts to hang on lyrics which your audience is not going to understand.

The only non-English-language song I've ever done an AMV to, this happened. It was a demo-video selling my old anime club to people not yet joined, in most cases not yet fans, and so I had to pay real, real, close attention to be sure that the video was working because it conveyed and played off the feel of the music, NOT because it illustrated and played off what Mikuni Shimokawa was singing. My Japanese is really basic, but I still screwed up in a couple places and did essentially lyric-dependent videography.

Whatever the song, you should be able to understand it before you start working with it. However, you should also bear in mind what your audience is likely to understand during the editing process.

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:39 pm

Thanks for the Lyrics and otehr suggestions, but I'm not really looking for lyric's matches. When I listen to foreign music, I trust my ears and my *cough* heart. If a music sounds good, I don't really care what the lyrics are saying. I don't sing this stuff out loud, so teh chances of me offending a German understanding person by saying something "bad" is so slim it's non-existent.

Anyway, I want this project to be a reaction thing. I want to video to be more of a "linking music to Video Clip" instead of a "Linking LYRICS to Video clips."

I watched Card Captor - Sakura no Yume and I didn't know a thing that was being said but I linked the peaceful music to the calm images and in the end I enjoyed it so much more then if I had known the lyrics.

It's kinda like listening to Nirvana's "Smell's like teen spirit." You don't have a clue what is being said but it still sounds good. That's the sort of thing I'm trying to create.

Thank you. If you read all of this thank you again.
Orgasm - It's a Science

Hitori
Org Profile

Post by Hitori » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:56 pm

Woah what's going on here!?
That is a really weird idea for a video...

Also, what's with the whole lyric thing too...
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/video.php?v=6691
This video was done ok... Maybe you want to check it out Kai?
ImageImage

Return to “General AMV”