What you think i should upgrade in my comp?

DuoEnigma
Org Profile

What you think i should upgrade in my comp?

Post by DuoEnigma » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:15 pm

Specs

1.1ghz
256sdram
60GB HD
Nvidia GeForce 2GTS
----------------------------------------
What i think i should upgrade is to........

500SDRam or more
Second HD of 80GB

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:56 pm

Upgrade to:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+

1GB DDR PC-2700 RAM

240GB HD

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:03 pm

An Athlon XP 2200+ will not offer him substantial performance benefit over what he is using now.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:51 pm

Don't invest in more SDRAM, save your money for a motherboard that supports DDR, as you're most likely going to go down that road later on. By then SDRAM would be worthless and you'd have to just huck it.

I'd go for the larger hard drive.

~klinky

DuoEnigma
Org Profile

Post by DuoEnigma » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:57 pm

How much would a mother board that supports DDR cost me?

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:22 pm

What type of CPU is that ? Intel or AMD?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:49 pm

Don't bother upgrading your motherboard. Save your money for later on, as DDR SDRAM won't offer a significant enough boost in performance to warrant the monetary investment.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:07 pm

jbone wrote:Don't bother upgrading your motherboard. Save your money for later on, as DDR SDRAM won't offer a significant enough boost in performance to warrant the monetary investment.

What memory is going to give him a boost ? hmmmm :p

DDR does usually provide a %10 boost. I agree though that upgrading to DDR and a 1.8Ghz Athlon XP isn't going to give him that great of a boost :\ . My point was that he shouldn't sink more money into SDRAM, 256MB should be ~enough~ to get by.

Of course a Athlon that uses a 333Mhz FSB is going to appear soon :\ . May provide a bit extra boost. However, if he's looking for something to improve editing his videos then his best bet would be to get something like a DV500.

~klinky

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:02 pm

Your upgrade depends on what you are going to do after you upgrade. What will you use the pc for?

Anyway, if you reall really really want to upgrade even thugh you have been discouraged from doing so because the gain isn't worth it then go for more DDRam and another hard drive (7200rpm). These stuff can be transferred over to your next BIG upgrade pc, most likely in early 2003, because by then your performance jump in an upgrade would be much better.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

DuoEnigma
Org Profile

Post by DuoEnigma » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:29 pm

I want to use my pc to edit all types of things Make AMV, make films with me and my friends. Since i have a public access show in NYC. I am planning to get a DV500 around nov-dec. but i want my computer to make good performance.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”