Hellsing: Order 13.

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
generalhs
Org Profile

Post by generalhs » Tue May 18, 2004 9:45 am

HeartbreakerByZep wrote: Since Alucard is well beyond these Vampiric limitations (and ALL limitations, basically)
Hmm, but what if Alucard was given these powers by Van Helsing or one of his descendants? Or perhaps Alucard has simply gained strength over the years and was much weaker when Hellsing caught him?

I actually believe that perhaps Van Helsing DID wound Alucard greatly and this impressed the vampire. So much that he decided to serve the Helsing family. He seems to hold a lot of respect for them after all and he's bound by an indescrible loyalty to Integra for some reason. Alucard doesn't HAVE to follow her orders, he choses to.

Kaimi-chan
Org Profile

Post by Kaimi-chan » Tue May 18, 2004 12:40 pm

Man, how this topic is popular now. All the Bram Stroken's Dracula discution is really amazing, talking about the movie: Van Helsing, it seems to be a good movie, I didn't watch that yet, but I hope there's something to do with the book.
"Kuchime oshii Yappari kono omoi dake wa, kuchitekurenaindayo." ~By Tsunade
Kakeruka? oó

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue May 18, 2004 1:11 pm

Kaimi-chan wrote:Van Helsing, it seems to be a good movie, I didn't watch that yet, but I hope there's something to do with the book.
I thought that it was a pretty good action film. But no, it really has nothing at all to do with the book (like it has Dr. Frakenstein and his monster in it, along with Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde).

ninja007
Org Profile

Post by ninja007 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:21 am

it sounds a lot like tha Sean Connery movie
"League of Extrordinary Gentlemen" but i don't think many people liked that one.
ninja007

HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Wed May 19, 2004 7:42 pm

generalhs wrote:
HeartbreakerByZep wrote: Since Alucard is well beyond these Vampiric limitations (and ALL limitations, basically)
Hmm, but what if Alucard was given these powers by Van Helsing or one of his descendants? Or perhaps Alucard has simply gained strength over the years and was much weaker when Hellsing caught him?

I actually believe that perhaps Van Helsing DID wound Alucard greatly and this impressed the vampire. So much that he decided to serve the Helsing family. He seems to hold a lot of respect for them after all and he's bound by an indescrible loyalty to Integra for some reason. Alucard doesn't HAVE to follow her orders, he choses to.
I don't deny the possibility that Dracula was weaker than Alucard when he was caught. But if my beloved Van Helsing, as far as the book Dracula goes, were to go up against Alucard in his current state, he would have no chance.

As for the stuff that happened in Alucard's past, based on some things that are said, it seems likely that Alucard had had somethings done to him to enhance or change him. But as far as Alucard originally being as (comparitively) weak as Dracula in the book, I can't see Van Helsing not killing Dracula if he had the chance - I sought to explain Dracula's survival with the vampire-power statement. But it's equally possible that Van Helsing decided to harvest (well, capture) Dracula. Van Helsing mentions in the book that vampires have been noted across all parts of the world, and obviously since Count Dracula stayed in his Transylvanian castle for nearly all of his life (making a short romp in London and possibly venturing breifly in other places) there are obviously an abundance of vampires across the world, so it would make sense that Van Helsing might decide to take Dracula with hopes of using him against the others, which would highly make sense in the context of the Hellsing Organization, which presumably he set up.

The intense vagueity of what actually went on makes it hard for me to put two and two together, because there are multiple possibilites with little hardcore evidence backing any of it. Unless there is a more in-depth explination of what went on somewhere in the manga (i'd love it if there was) I don't think we're really ment to think about what has happened in the age of Dracula. We do have Integra mentioning something of the great ordeal that the first generation Hellsing family went through, I wonder what that was... and I wonder what was done to Dracula - what was done to his mind? Was his power already there, or was it changed? I don't know, maybe I'll ask Kohta (I really should be doing my work now! But nah!)
Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
Don't disturb me now, I can see the answers
'Till this evening is this morning, life is fine.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Wed May 19, 2004 8:03 pm

ninja007 wrote:it sounds a lot like tha Sean Connery movie
"League of Extrordinary Gentlemen" but i don't think many people liked that one.
Uh . . . it's not like league at all . . . well, I guess it kinda is in the literary sense, in a way. But Van Helsing wasn't supposed to be based off any of the literary stuff really. It was mainly to bring back old hollywood monsters (wolfman, frankenstein, dracula).

ninja007
Org Profile

Post by ninja007 » Mon May 24, 2004 10:54 pm

woah, i've been behind...

well, what i meant was a bunch of old villains coming together to fight against someone else. but, Frakenstein was a book, and so was the wolfman (i think) and obviosly Dracula was a book too.
ninja007

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue May 25, 2004 9:04 am

ninja007 wrote:woah, i've been behind...

well, what i meant was a bunch of old villains coming together to fight against someone else. but, Frakenstein was a book, and so was the wolfman (i think) and obviosly Dracula was a book too.
Well, yes and no. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is based off of a comic book that uses literary characters and turns them into heros doing all sorts of strange stuff (I think they're fighting martians currently), while in Van Helsing, yes, they were literary characters, but the intent of the film was to use the old, hollywood movie versions of them, not the literary ones.

ninja007
Org Profile

Post by ninja007 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:26 am

i see, but its still the same idea, multiple famous villains in the same movie.
ninja007

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue May 25, 2004 9:31 am

I'm just going to say . . . kinda. It's not really correct when comparing it to 'League', but it works well enough.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”