AXNY Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:56 pm

Heya Misty!

Over all, I've been disappointed with videos for the last year or so. I thought that Otakon 2001 wasn't as good as 2000, and that 2002 wasn't as good as 2001. Yes, there were exceptions, of course. One of my all time favourite videos has to be Vlad's "Memories Dance" which was from last year.

So, I didn't mean just AXNY's videos were disppointing, but that the ones at all the cons that I've gone to this year were. I'm not saying that they ALL were, just that over all it's not been exciting.

I sort of judge a contest (subconsciously) by the number of truly remarkable videos that I've seen in it. Some of it may be the relying on effects, and to be fair, some if it may be the disappointment in my own work. I don't know. But, for whatever reason, very few have actually grabbed me. It's been a while since my jaw has hit the ground and I just think "Wow!" Most of my favourite videos, I'll admit, are old ones with few if any effects. People seem more interested in lens flares and strobing and such, and that seems to get other people excited. So, maybe it's just me, but I feel that there's been less "heart" as of late. Most drama videos seem to be more action, and the action videos seem to be all about rapid cuts and strobing. I mean this to be no insult to people creating some fine videos today. They just seem to be... too few and far between. I personally feel that my last "good" video was made in 2000, but it's one that didn't get much response, so maybe that's me. ;)

There ARE a lot of fan service videos, and I don't really think that there's anything wrong with that. It's a type of video. Standing next to a subtler, more powerful video they don't look so good. And there have been good ones lately. Maybe it's that we're all so overexposed to each other's work that we haven't been experimenting so much, or that we care a lot more about competing than making something memorable. Are we sacrificing subtlety for overt crowd pleasing? Are we trying to follow the "bigger is better" credo? Is it just that there are SO many of them now, so that every Trigun video looks the same?

I can't tell you why I've been finding videos to be... lacking lately. I just don't know. I'm glad that you think they're still strong, though. It's been a long time (except for Memories Dance) since something's moved me like Bobby Beaver's "Forever Young." I think we're lacking concept. Not just the "I'm doing X to Y" but the actual CONCEPT. I think we're lacking depth in our work.

Okay, enough whining from me... again...

Tom the Fish
Org Profile

Post by Tom the Fish » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:22 pm

Hey Scott,

I thought your Tenchi video was the best of the Drama! I didn't vote in the drama catagory however since my wife's video caused a conflict of interest...

It was nice to see Tenchi portrayed as the potential hero.

Tom

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:23 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Scott :)

I believe personally I can tell the difference between a video that uses a lot of effects and one that uses too much...although that is probably just my opinion disguised as judgement.

Anyway, I think I agree with you that the older videos were quite good. Maybe the reason some videos lack nowdays isn't because people are different but the technology is. It's easier/faster to synch, fade, mix, strobe, etc. and people just aren't focusing on the actually video over the delivery. So they focus on keeping the time and form and don't see what they are actually making as one whole piece. Maybe this is the case.

I have to agree that fan service videos don't look that good compared to videos with heart...well at least not to me ^_~ they have little appeal to me in the first place.

But even all this said, I still think that isn't the case with all the amv's coming out. I've seen some pretty good ones the past year. There is always next year to show you it can be good...at Otakon of course :wink:

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:49 pm

Scott... I say each to their own. I agree this year has not been that impressive in regards to amvs. Then again your prime example for a recent video with a great deal of emotion *Memories Dance" I felt was very lacking in that department and was not very impressed (no disrespect to you Vlad… many love your video). Everyone has different taste and to say nothing inventive has come out since Bobby Beaver is pretty much a slap in the face to a great deal of creators as if you are an authority discrediting all the videos that have been made over the years. Then again, that is your opinion and only that. I say as long as the creator has pride in his or her work that is what is important and they will mature over time at their own pace. I agree there is a lot that could be better, but you act as if you are speaking for everyone… “I think we're lacking depth in our work” and this comes off very presumptuous on your part. Sorry, if it sounds like I am attacking you, but the way you worded things in this post came off poorl Then again, you might have just been blowing off steam and it came out like this... and many of us have done that in the past myself included.
Scott A Melzer wrote:Heya Misty!

Over all, I've been disappointed with videos for the last year or so. I thought that Otakon 2001 wasn't as good as 2000, and that 2002 wasn't as good as 2001. Yes, there were exceptions, of course. One of my all time favourite videos has to be Vlad's "Memories Dance" which was from last year.

I can't tell you why I've been finding videos to be... lacking lately. I just don't know. I'm glad that you think they're still strong, though. It's been a long time (except for Memories Dance) since something's moved me like Bobby Beaver's "Forever Young." I think we're lacking concept. Not just the "I'm doing X to Y" but the actual CONCEPT. I think we're lacking depth in our work.

Okay, enough whining from me... again...

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:01 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote:Scott... I say each to their own. I agree this year has not been that impressive in regards to amvs. Then again your prime example for a recent video with a great deal of emotion *Memories Dance" I felt was very lacking in that department and was not very impressed (no disrespect to you Vlad… many love your video).
Eveyone is free to express thier opionions about videos. It doesn't mean we have to like them all or like though others like as well. I personally have always like individual videos rather them videos from creator "X". There some I like you did Joe while some of your others I think lack some elements that others may not agree with me on as well...

Generally, I've seem some very good videos this year and I don't quite know if I would just generalize the years as worse then any other. It really boils down to a matter of taste and some years I found popular videos laked what I like or stirs my emotions...
MaboroshiStudio wrote:Everyone has different taste and to say nothing inventive has come out since Bobby Beaver is pretty much a slap in the face to a great deal of creators as if you are an authority discrediting all the videos that have been made over the years. Then again, that is your opinion and only that. I say as long as the creator has pride in his or her work that is what is important and they will mature over time at their own pace. I agree there is a lot that could be better, but you act as if you are speaking for everyone… “I think we're lacking depth in our work” and this comes off very presumptuous on your part. Sorry, if it sounds like I am attacking you, but the way you worded things in this post came off poorl Then again, you might have just been blowing off steam and it came out like this... and many of us have done that in the past myself included.
I agree with your arguments, but I'm not too sure I agree with your delivery as well. To me it sounds like your blowing off some steam as well (a bit anyway). Everyone is entitled to thier opinion about what they think of in terms of AMVs this year and it may not be nessassarily just to blow off some steam.

I'm not really trying to start an argument with anyone here, just expressing my view on this....

Vlad

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:09 am

Scott A Melzer wrote:Maybe it's that we're all so overexposed to each other's work that we haven't been experimenting so much, or that we care a lot more about competing than making something memorable. Are we sacrificing subtlety for overt crowd pleasing? Are we trying to follow the "bigger is better" credo? Is it just that there are SO many of them now, so that every Trigun video looks the same?

I think we're lacking concept. Not just the "I'm doing X to Y" but the actual CONCEPT. I think we're lacking depth in our work.
At this point the scene may just have gotten so clogged that it's time for people to take a step back and ask themselves, "Why am I doing this?"

Seriously. Why do you make AMVs? Is it for recognition? Bragging rights? Because you happen to have the gear? Or is it something else?

I'm working and competing for very specific reasons, reasons which inform evey aspect of my video-making process. I honestly could not care less about winning at competitions, playing to audience taste, or getting personal recognition. My objective is to change people's minds about a certain genre of music, and for that to proceed, I just need to make videos that are good enough to enable the music and foreground it properly. I need to work as quickly as I do to promote a wide range of artists at as many conventions as possible.

I know everyone's got their own reasons for being in this hobby, and for competing or wanting to compete at the elite level. I'm just saying that, given the apparently sorry current state of the craft (anyone else disappointed with the overall level of AWA's Pro contest?), it may be time to really think about those reasons, and possibly make some changes to your style or philosophy of editing.

I'm not suggesting anything to anyone except self-examination. I did this on myself before I even started competing, and the credo that I'm currently following seems like it'll work for me for the forseeable future. Someone (I forget who) dubbed this the "Year of Slump", but as one who has been in a multi-video slump and recovered, the only way to come out of a slump is to (re-) identify your core principles, go back to them, and work on through.

Ask yourselves: what is the sound of perseverance?

<token non-famed, undercompeted, overproductive metalhead returns to his lair>

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:38 am

so, let me get this straight...

You think that most people dont have a good reason to make video yet your reason is because you like X kind of music and you want people to hear that kind of music.

Well, it's a reason.... but I don't see it as a particularly good one. There's much more to a vide than the music and most of my fave videos are to songs I dont generally care for. Music videos shouldn't be judged on the choice of music, you know, and whatever you might think about the choices of music in the Pro contest [re: your journal entry] you should still just be judging them on their merits as videos.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:17 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:so, let me get this straight...

You think that most people dont have a good reason to make video yet your reason is because you like X kind of music and you want people to hear that kind of music.

Well, it's a reason.... but I don't see it as a particularly good one. There's much more to a vide than the music and most of my fave videos are to songs I dont generally care for. Music videos shouldn't be judged on the choice of music, you know, and whatever you might think about the choices of music in the Pro contest [re: your journal entry] you should still just be judging them on their merits as videos.
No...it's not that. What I'm saying is that people probably do have good reasons, but may have lost touch with them. Given the competitive whirl and the recognition level afforded by the .org, this is an eminent possibility. I know I've found myself just asking "what should I send to X convention", or "what should I make for X contest" without taking that step back and asking "why should I really make this video" or "how does this video fit in with what I've been doing". I make videos because I love the process and generally like what I produce; I COMPETE for promotional purposes rather than to gain fame or attention.

Really, the only reason to make videos, when you come down to it, is that you cannot do otherwise. You have an idea for a combination that you have to bring into the world. If at some point I should exhaust my stupid-huge to-do-list backlog, I won't force myself into searching for a new idea just for the purpose of making a video. If it doesn't come naturally (to you, anyway) it just shouldn't be.

As for the Pro contest.....if I judged on music alone I could barely make a single recommendation (of course, I'm not going to push through my own material; it's middle of the pack and I know it -- not professional to break with judging standards like that). It's been enormously informative for me to have to surpress the SO FULL OF HATE feeling when listening to these videos and to evaluate them on the quality of the editing, quality of the synch, efficacy of effects, and general concept. That's the "Pro" part; to put aside personal prejudices and [try] to approach the material with professional detachment. The kind of music that I enjoy is widely disrespected, if not outright hated, and it would be rather stupid of me to fall into the same trap when reviewing other people's work. I'm not judging people on or for their music, but on their abilities to turn that music into a quality music video. I'd like to receive the same.

Perhaps pushing an agenda is wrong. But what is right? I have an admittedly bizarre perspective on the whole business, and would like to hear from those with more competition experience than I. What are the RIGHT reasons for vid creation and competing?

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:24 am

Kai Stromler wrote:Perhaps pushing an agenda is wrong. But what is right? I have an admittedly bizarre perspective on the whole business, and would like to hear from those with more competition experience than I. What are the RIGHT reasons for vid creation and competing?
Well, I dont know what the right reasons for competing is, but I do know that the reason I make videos is because I enjoy the process of video editing and being able to make something that I pictured in my head become reality in video form.

I make videos to songs I don't like - usually because the editing concept is too appealing. Yeah, to me it's about making something I pictured in my head that currently doesn't exist, be it a visual style or whatever. That's it really.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:52 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: Eveyone is free to express thier opionions about videos. It doesn't mean we have to like them all or like though others like as well. I personally have always like individual videos rather them videos from creator "X". There some I like you did Joe while some of your others I think lack some elements that others may not agree with me on as well...
Everyone connects differently, that is to be expected, and I agree with you on liking the video not the creator. People are caught up in too much fan worship and overlook the merits of a video I say. Then again, with anything you create you always run the risk of people not understanding it, but as I stated the most important thing is if you enjoyed making the video and are proud of it. I think expectations have become really high and sometimes people just want to have fun not. These are just anime music videos so have some fun... so what if this year has not produced a great number of memorable vids. Are we going to be elitist saying do not bother making a video unless it is great and if it is not great you lack creativity? I do not agree with that negative mindset...

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: I agree with your arguments, but I'm not too sure I agree with your delivery as well. To me it sounds like your blowing off some steam as well (a bit anyway). Everyone is entitled to thier opinion about what they think of in terms of AMVs this year and it may not be nessassarily just to blow off some steam.

I'm not really trying to start an argument with anyone here, just expressing my view on this....

Vlad
I was pretty reserved in stating my opinion here Vlad... I don't think you saw how I was back in the day where I was known for putting in a bunch of snappy low blows into a post. I had a problem with what Scott said and voiced my concern in a reserved manner imho that is all.

Return to “AMV Contests”