Christopher M. LaBianca
Title Super Smash Bros. Melee: Brothers of Liberty
Song: Metal Gear Solid 2: Main Theme
Artist: Harry Gregson-Williams

Kevin Chiou and Bryon Yang
Title: West Side Bebop
Song: Tonight (reprise)
Artist: Stephen Sondheim & Leonard Bernstein

Note that the winners of "drama" and "comedy" were, respectively, neither a drama video nor a comedy video, further reaffirming the fact that "democratic" contests are inherently flawed. :-D
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:57 am

lol AX is sure doing a good job this year it sounds like. Mis-categorizing vids is becoming more and more prevalent now a days, but at least there were enough videos for people to watch. That is the only reason I submitted anything...

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:08 pm

Oopsie, I just realized I left out a line. Should have read:

Best Comedy/Best of Show:
Kevin Chiou and Bryon Yang
Title: West Side Bebop
Song: Tonight (reprise)
Artist: Stephen Sondheim & Leonard Bernstein
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:24 pm

In their defense, Megazone (the guy who ran the contest) seemed like a really nice guy who was trying to do his best. He seemed like someone trying to deal with a huge pile of things going wrong. The crowd was getting unruly while waiting in line (not much, but enough to annoy the security people) and I'm sure that the mood in the room wasn't the best.

People chose their own categories. Not their fault. But it did seem weird for some of them. At Otakon, I had wanted my video to be a drama one, but felt that it had too much action in it so I put it in the action category, even though it also had some sad parts. But there were a lot of fast paced "drama" videos there. At AX, I put it in Drama. I found it funny that "Bebopping" also moved its category from Action to Drama. Funny...

BUT, it did sick that the videos weren't really in any order. If you check the list (I posted them under conventions) you'll see that videos seem to be in the order in which they were received or something. Putting that one girl's videos all at the beginning kind of sucked. I also thought that her reaction (she was sitting next to me) was pretty bad. She said, "No one who goes first ever wins!" She was also almost crying during the showing and got up and ran out after her last one was shown. I thought, "That's not the right thing to feel about your AMVs being shown." People are far too worried about winning, about competing with others.

Personally, I feel that videos have been really mediocre lately. maybe it's people not sending their best to local cons and saving them for AWA. I only saw the drama videos, but I just wasn't very moved by any of them (including mine, which I feel is pretty mediocre). Most videos that were pretty good were good in parts, but then kind of died in others. Why is that? I don't know, but I think that people are too concerned with competition rather than making something moving. I've heard the term, "I'm making a XXXX killer!" far too often, wich people just trying to beat other people or particular videos. I've seen some of these "killers." Usually they just suck. You make something for the wrong reason, it falls flat.

Congrats to the winners. I'm sorry that I didn't get to see three out of the four videos that won this year. *sigh*

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:42 pm

Scott A Melzer wrote:In their defense, Megazone (the guy who ran the contest) seemed like a really nice guy who was trying to do his best.
I agree, the guy running it seemed to mean well. It's not his fault that the so-called "democratic" method for selecting winners is inherently flawed. :-D
Scott A Melzer wrote:Congrats to the winners. I'm sorry that I didn't get to see three out of the four videos that won this year. *sigh*
There were only three winning videos... the comedy winner was also best od show. :)

Paul Kievits
Org Profile

Post by Paul Kievits » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:49 pm

Scott A Melzer wrote:I also thought that her reaction (she was sitting next to me) was pretty bad. She said, "No one who goes first ever wins!" She was also almost crying during the showing and got up and ran out after her last one was shown. I thought, "That's not the right thing to feel about your AMVs being shown." People are far too worried about winning, about competing with others.

Personally, I feel that videos have been really mediocre lately. maybe it's people not sending their best to local cons and saving them for AWA. I only saw the drama videos, but I just wasn't very moved by any of them (including mine, which I feel is pretty mediocre). Most videos that were pretty good were good in parts, but then kind of died in others. Why is that? I don't know, but I think that people are too concerned with competition rather than making something moving. I've heard the term, "I'm making a XXXX killer!" far too often, wich people just trying to beat other people or particular videos. I've seen some of these "killers." Usually they just suck. You make something for the wrong reason, it falls flat.
Amen to that, I should quote you somehere, but then again no one listens to me...
Get my 5th video "Mass Murderer": here

ellji
Org Profile

Post by ellji » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:04 pm

I was very surprised that Beboppin' had won for Drama. Although I suppose I shouldn't be; fans love their fanservice. I, myself, found it very difficult to choose, but finally decided upon Gravity of Utena. I *did* try to keep the category in mind. ^_^

Super Smash Bros Melee was a great video (better the second time I saw it), but I thought Once Upon A Hero (also by DJ Fritz) was deserving of the award. It was dramatic, moving, built suspense with great timing and sequences, and fit the Action/Adventure category best. (There were really a lot that didn't, IMO)

West Side Bebop was the one winner I thought was definitely most deserving of Best Comedy. It does fit the category as it is a parody. And certainly received its own laughs from the audience both showings. The time and effort Kevin C. and Bryon Y. must have put into making that video was very impressive. I'm not surprised it won Overall.

I agree that I had hoped there would be amvs of better quality at the contest overall, but I think the entries that ultimately won don't disappoint. :)

ellji

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:49 pm

D'oh! I mean, I didn't see the "best of show" one twice. Yeah, that's it..

As flawed as viewer voting may be, I still prefer it. Each video should be equally represented and all the right data should be on the ballot (not having the show makes it hard, since most people remember "That Big O video!" or something).

I really don't want all (some, yes, but not all) cons to move to a peer voting system. I think it's good to have an award for a judged video, but if creators are the only ones judging, then we lose our audience. Yeah, the crowds don't pick what WE think are the best videos, and you wouldn't want creators to make only "sell out" videos. Ah, enough whining from me...

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:32 pm

Scott- By saying that most of the videos lately have been mediocre, were you implying all the amvs from all the cons you have been to this year or just AXNY?....Or maybe I should wait to ask this question after you've been to AWA...

I was just thinking that it does seem a lot of videos lately seem to be made for winning. They over use effects or fan service. But I guess it's a matter of perspective because I still think there were a lot of great ones drama videos at Otakon. I especially liked the Pompoko one which had little to no effects at all.

I was watching my Otakon 2000 and 1999 tapes today (since I can't make it to any more cons since October I'm having some minor withdrawl ^_~) and I realized they didn't have a lot of effects but they were pretty good videos. Are you comparing the newer ones to these older ones or maybe something else? I'm just curious to know what you mean exactly :)

Maybe just some videos are relying too heavily on effects and have no heart you mean? I don't know what all videos played at AXNY, but I thought the crop at Otakon this year was pretty memorable.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:36 pm

Scott A Melzer wrote:She said, "No one who goes first ever wins!"
That's not true. It can be trickier in some respects, but it happens. It sucks that all of her videos were shown first, but not enough to warrant that reaction, IMO. I agree with the rest of the stuff you said.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “AMV Contests”