Star Scale Hints Added

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:19 pm

speaking of ops,
why should we keep the star average closer to 3/5 when the op average is closer to 8/10?
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:34 pm

Hey,
downwithpants wrote:speaking of ops,
why should we keep the star average closer to 3/5 when the op average is closer to 8/10?
Easy answer: People can't get away from the engrained system from school where 90 = A, 80 = B, 70 = C, 60 = D, Anything below = F. With this in mind, people don't score much 7 and below even though they are told that "average" means a 5.

This is one of the reasons why the star scale only goes to 5. I originally wanted to make it 3 (cool, ok, and suck), but I decided to spread it out just a little bit.

Phade.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:37 pm

Also, given that good videos are downloaded much more than bad videos, it would probably make sense then overall, the star average should lean towards the higher numbers.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:54 pm

Hey,

Oh yeah, that's the other big reason: Since it requires effort to give an opinion, people generally only give an opinion when they really feel good about a video. People generally don't care about bad videos and therefore don't wan't to make the effort of telling the video creator that their videos isn't so great.

Since the star scale is manditory, if you download a not-so-great video, you have to give a rating for it. This should bring the overall average back down to the middle of the scale. However, good videos are downloaded more often than bad videos, so it's ok to have the actual average be a little higher than the score for average.

Perhaps to make the opinions scale better, the numbers should run from 7-16. Giving someone a 10 for thier video wouldn't seem so bad phychologically since you have to think about the scale as it is rather than the scale compared to other scales of measure even though a 10 would equal a 4 on the current scale. To throw the brain block off even further, the scale could go from 7-18 or 19.

But for now, it's kinda too late since the opinions data goes back a long time.

Phade.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:45 pm

5 = Far above average 27
4 = Above average 112
3 = Average 139
2 = Below average 40
1 = Far below average 3

Hmm, I see I'm weight a bit towards the high end. I need to go download some below average videos. Fortunately I happen to know where I can find 4000 DBZ videos...

nemesisENFORCER
Org Profile

Post by nemesisENFORCER » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:37 pm

can you check the number of stars you got on a video? i mean a total for each number. like how many 5s i recieved or 4s or so on?

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:45 pm

no, i dont think so

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:50 pm

As many people have already stated, I think the star scale is biased one direction because people tend to download videos near the top or are supposedly "good" or from "good creators." I should've realized this last night as I was talking to you, but I was pretty braindead after poker :oops:.

In any case, I don't know how truly "fix" this other than having some system where viewers are somehow forced to see "good" and "bad" videos to truly figure out their own scoring system and guidelines.

*shrug*
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Mon May 03, 2004 7:33 am

one thing that bothers me about this new system thingy(ill use janzki's since im too lazy to use my own :P )
Janzki wrote:
Average Star Rating Given By You: 3.02

Your Star Distribution
5 = Two thumbs up 40
4 = Thumbs up 171
3 = Eeeegh 251
2 = Thumbs down 168
1 = Two thumbs down 36
I had no idea my ratings were so well balanced. :shock:
the 1,2,4,5 stars make no sense. wouldn't thumbs up and Thumbs down be equal to Two thumbs up and Two thumbs down? WE ONLY HAVE 2 THUMBS! Ok, im done being annoying for today... 8)

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Mon May 03, 2004 7:40 am

:shock:

Damn, I didn't notice that! :lol:
ImageImage

Return to “Site Announcements”