Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard drive?

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:12 am

One thing you might want to try doing is using a Vob cutting tool - there's a couple of them available at ddom9.org

This will allow you to just save the parts of the vobs you need - then by using those via avisynth or some other technique you can edit directly from those dvd scenes.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:09 am

A.H. wrote:Storyboarding, eh? I'd figure I'd need to watch all the episodes about 5 times over just to memorize them so I know exactly what I'm drafting. Not that I'd have a problem with that, but time is money.
Not in a not-for-profit hobby, it isn't. :)
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:One thing you might want to try doing is using a Vob cutting tool - there's a couple of them available at <a href="http://www.doom9.org"><b>doom9.org</a>
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

)v(ajin Koji
Org Profile

Post by )v(ajin Koji » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:23 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:One thing you might want to try doing is using a Vob cutting tool - there's a couple of them available at ddom9.org

This will allow you to just save the parts of the vobs you need - then by using those via avisynth or some other technique you can edit directly from those dvd scenes.
You can do that in Virtual dub too if you use that to huffy your VOBs.
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:25 pm

ok, here's what i do. rip the bov's to your hard disk. then convert them to a low quality divx (like 50MB totoal size, use the fastest quality/speed ratio). then rename the file something like lain01_vts_01_1 (as in, animename_vobname) . do that for all the vobs then delete them. do your amv in whatever editor. then delete thoughs source files (or move them to another folder). take note of what files you used and then rip the vob's used into the folder where the original divx files we're. open your video editor, it should automaticaly reconstruct the amv with the vob files. so thier ya go, problem solved :D .

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:27 pm

That is, if they have enough for all the vobs they plan to use...

aznfs
Org Profile

Re: Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard dri

Post by aznfs » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:13 am

Scintilla wrote:
aznfs wrote:and even if u were goin to place vobs in u're hard drive <b>u should change them to huffyuv first</b>, it would make the file much bigger but u can still edit it with all the editing programs...
WTH? You can't convert VOBs to HuffYUV without ripping them to the hard drive first. And A.H. said that s/he isn't one to plan out videos beforehand to the extent that s/he knows what clips will be needed, so making HuffYUV clips wouldn't be much help, methinks. And besides, the consideration here is space, and HuffY files are huge, even compared to VOBs -- you said yourself that they're much bigger.

That said, my only suggestion really is to figure out what chapters you can really do without, and don't rip them...
sorry i meant after decyrpting them unto the hard drive and convert.... and yes i do select my chapters too, like opening and ending credits take off some time and space

A.H.
Org Profile

Post by A.H. » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:03 am

bum wrote:ok, here's what i do. rip the bov's to your hard disk. then convert them to a low quality divx (like 50MB totoal size, use the fastest quality/speed ratio). then rename the file something like lain01_vts_01_1 (as in, animename_vobname) . do that for all the vobs then delete them. do your amv in whatever editor. then delete thoughs source files (or move them to another folder). take note of what files you used and then rip the vob's used into the folder where the original divx files we're. open your video editor, it should automaticaly reconstruct the amv with the vob files. so thier ya go, problem solved :D .
I already do this method. And yes, ripping the vobs one by one then making low-quality AVIs then deleting the VOB and moving onto the next one would be great. But the problem is that when the editing is all done, all of the VOB files I ripped need to be on the hard drive at once. Which in my case can't be done.

Guess I'll give that VOB cutter a try.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:24 am

A.H. wrote:But the problem is that when the editing is all done, all of the VOB files I ripped need to be on the hard drive at once.
Well, only if you use footage from every single episode/chapter/whatever unit each of your AVS scripts covers.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Tue May 04, 2004 5:50 pm

CHEAP-ASS METHOD:

Step 1) Do the thing with the temporary DivX files, except make them MJPEG or something instead, because Premiere doesn't like DivX or XviD.

Step 2) Play with video until you have all the scenes picked and placed.

Step 3) When you are finished editing your video, rip an episode, make DVD2AVI project file and AVS file and everything, load into Vdub, and export the clips that you need with a lossless codec like Huffy.

Step 4) Begin the painstaking process of replacing your MJPEG clips with Huffy clips one at a time.

MUCH BETTER METHOD:

Buy a 120GB, 7200 RPM hard drive, preferably a Maxtor with the SATA interface. Maxtor is the shiznot.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue May 04, 2004 9:46 pm

meh, mjpeg still gets files around 2gigs per epp. if ya ed up using all the vob files. after doing what i told ya before, instead of using vob's to replace it, reconvert the files to a high quality divx (vegas has no problem whith them :P and with premier, as long as ya dont actualy do any editing it should be fine) and just replace them, like you would have doen with the vob. the only issue with this is that itl take time converting loads of vobs to high quality divx. then again, ya can do a whole bunch while ya go out or something with vdubmods batch procesing function

Return to “Hardware Discussion”