Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard drive?

A.H.
Org Profile

Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard drive?

Post by A.H. » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:46 pm

The total space on my factory-installed FAT32 is 28.6.

So I did a little math, and it seems that whether all the VOB files from a 26-episode DVD set are present while editing a video or not (I'm talking about replacing low-quality AVIs with DVD-quality footage using the duplicate project trick), there just isn't enough space.

The logical solution is get an 80 Gig HD, right?

Not so much approval from my parents on that idea.

Put simply, they told me to research other ways I can manage the VOB files on my computer to avoid the collective VOB size/HD space ratio issue. The only one that popped into my head was analouge capture via a capture card. But I don't have one of my own, so once again, that would require some dolla dolla bill.

They seem to understand that all those 1.2-1.4 Gig epiodes need to be ON a hard drive when exporting the video. They don't, however, adhere to the idea that I need all 26 episodes on the HD at once to keep my options open. That would require "selective ripping", but I don't know any AMV creators that have their videos 100% planned out down to every last frame. (There probably are, but I'm definitely not one of them. Wish I could be, though...) So I can't just decide that I need a clip from an episode that isn't already ripped, only to realize that the HD is already full. I'd also have to keep about 2 Gig left over for the raw, uncompressed output of the AMV.

The other issue, which concerns me more, is that a lot of stuff is being invested in the computer I have right now; the plan is to buy a brand new one for college in two years. And I'm not sure if I can find all the junk I stuck in my motherboard to transfer to a new comp, let alone remove it all. An extra hard drive would only complicate things more.

This may seem like mission impossible, but I might just be shortsighted on the issue. If anyone can think of an answer to this paradox it'd be much appreciated.

aznfs
Org Profile

Re: Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard dri

Post by aznfs » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:59 am

A.H. wrote:The total space on my factory-installed FAT32 is 28.6.

So I did a little math, and it seems that whether all the VOB files from a 26-episode DVD set are present while editing a video or not (I'm talking about replacing low-quality AVIs with DVD-quality footage using the duplicate project trick), there just isn't enough space.

The logical solution is get an 80 Gig HD, right?

Not so much approval from my parents on that idea.

Put simply, they told me to research other ways I can manage the VOB files on my computer to avoid the collective VOB size/HD space ratio issue. The only one that popped into my head was analouge capture via a capture card. But I don't have one of my own, so once again, that would require some dolla dolla bill.

They seem to understand that all those 1.2-1.4 Gig epiodes need to be ON a hard drive when exporting the video. They don't, however, adhere to the idea that I need all 26 episodes on the HD at once to keep my options open. That would require "selective ripping", but I don't know any AMV creators that have their videos 100% planned out down to every last frame. (There probably are, but I'm definitely not one of them. Wish I could be, though...) So I can't just decide that I need a clip from an episode that isn't already ripped, only to realize that the HD is already full. I'd also have to keep about 2 Gig left over for the raw, uncompressed output of the AMV.

The other issue, which concerns me more, is that a lot of stuff is being invested in the computer I have right now; the plan is to buy a brand new one for college in two years. And I'm not sure if I can find all the junk I stuck in my motherboard to transfer to a new comp, let alone remove it all. An extra hard drive would only complicate things more.

This may seem like mission impossible, but I might just be shortsighted on the issue. If anyone can think of an answer to this paradox it'd be much appreciated.
hard drives realli don't cost that much now i got my 200gb fro around 100 bucks a year ago.

and even if u were goin to place vobs in u're hard drive u should change them to huffyuv first, it would make the file much bigger but u can still edit it with all the editing programs... by the way what are u editing with?

avi's aren't low quality only internet distribution kinds (divx) are... ok some look realli good.

and for an uncompressed final product, u can just keep the thing as huffyuv it is still large but smaller than uncompressed, and u don't lose quality or any of visible sight.

well that was my speal i don't think i realli helped on the hard drive part but i tried to add to the size issue.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:02 am

Sir Lagsalot has a codec in Software that's significantly smaller than Huffy. It's just slower.

aznfs
Org Profile

Post by aznfs » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:03 am

Kalium wrote:Sir Lagsalot has a codec in Software that's significantly smaller than Huffy. It's just slower.
i did dl that codec but i never tried it... the code was realli messy

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:14 am

He did warn up the code was messy.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Getting around VOB sizes: alternatives to a new hard dri

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:18 am

aznfs wrote:and even if u were goin to place vobs in u're hard drive <b>u should change them to huffyuv first</b>, it would make the file much bigger but u can still edit it with all the editing programs...
WTH? You can't convert VOBs to HuffYUV without ripping them to the hard drive first. And A.H. said that s/he isn't one to plan out videos beforehand to the extent that s/he knows what clips will be needed, so making HuffYUV clips wouldn't be much help, methinks. And besides, the consideration here is space, and HuffY files are huge, even compared to VOBs -- you said yourself that they're much bigger.

That said, my only suggestion really is to figure out what chapters you can really do without, and don't rip them...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:04 am

x2

It's called storyboarding. You plan out exactly what you need, rip and convert just those scenes. then you have lets say... 10 gig of hufyuv files to work with. since it's lossless, and presumably the same as your final quality you could just kill your .vobs and go from there if you wanted top quality.

I don't use huffyuv to edit with, so I'm sure someone else can chime in on what say... 7-8 minutes of footage would look like in the size department.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:12 am

Maybe 10 GB, I would think. Less, in all likelyhood.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:47 am

How much hard drive space do you have now? You can work with anime movies on rather small harddrives. (Assuming small is around 12gb)

Also you should consider saving up your own money for a hard drive with a hobby like this. Drives are getting very cheap these days.

A.H.
Org Profile

Post by A.H. » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:06 am

I have 17.3 Gigs freed up.

Storyboarding, eh? I'd figure I'd need to watch all the episodes about 5 times over just to memorize them so I know exactly what I'm drafting. Not that I'd have a problem with that, but time is money.

Speaking of money, the price of the HD isn't what concerns me; it's what concerns my parents. The good news, though, is I got 205 bucks for my 16th birthday 2 days ago. And 3 days from now, I'm getting my driver's license. So if HDs are really around $100, I'll be able to complete the DVD set and buy the hard drive myself. If I get permission. (Times like these I feel like I'm still 7.)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”