How to rip PS2 FMV files - Step by Step Guide.

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
DemonSpawn
Org Profile

Post by DemonSpawn » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:04 pm

When I get more time, I'll try to look through some of KH's hex, and see if I can find the video files... But I can't promise anything.

Oh, and Killer_Moogle, I posted the long (but foolproof) way to get the Xenosaga .pss files here. Including all the offset locations, for those of us still with Win98.

disgust
Org Profile

Post by disgust » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:01 am

no one knows how to multiplex the m2v and the wav into an mpeg without reducing the quality?

Unfound
Org Profile

Post by Unfound » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:06 pm

Use the HuffyUV Codec and make it into a lossless .avi. Try not to use MPEGs in videos (Especially in Premiere).

disgust
Org Profile

Post by disgust » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:04 pm

huffyuv is great, no doubt about it.

but when you want to distribute relatively high quality files over the net wtihout forcing users to download codecs... mpg is certainly nice. :\

bluedream
Org Profile

German PAL FFX

Post by bluedream » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:28 am

I tried everything to rip the movies of my German PAL FFX Original Disc, without much luck.

1.) Following this guid I ripped the DVD to HD, split the image in 1GB files and tried Extractor 2.4, wich actually did not find anything at all. It does not find anything on the 4.3GB Image file as well.

2.) I tried "Universal Final Fantasy X Extractor V 2.50" (Universal_FFX_Extr25.exe). It gives me a lot of files, but none of the files greater than 10 MB seem to be any PSS or MPG files. I can't open them in PSS Player, PSS Plex nor any DVD or video player.

3.) I tried "FFX Ripper ver1.4b" with no success either. It gives me an error that i am not able to read (probably japanese).

Do you have any suggestions on how to get one of the above methods working?

bluedream
Org Profile

German PAL FFX *update*

Post by bluedream » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:33 am

I forgot to mention my 4th try

4.) I tried FFX2mov v2.11. As you might already know it gives me an "Invalid disc size" error. This is not really surprising as this version is ment to support some NTSC and the UK PAL version only.

Well, im just listing for completness

DDramone
Org Profile

Post by DDramone » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:08 pm

what can i say? i followed the instructions but im stuck on step 3. my extractor isnt reading any files! i tried all 5 of the iso files for ffx, but they all dont read anything!

DemonSpawn
Org Profile

Post by DemonSpawn » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:37 pm

Try using the FFX2mov utility. It worked for me with the NTSC version of FFX.

As for the guy with the PAL disc...I have no idea. Try Google?
Another pointless post!

redrummaker
Org Profile

Post by redrummaker » Fri May 21, 2004 2:48 am

my computer says there is a error in huffyuv.dll what can i do to fix this
There is no why to this life, I am and that's all the reason i need.

shirohamada
Org Profile

Post by shirohamada » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:17 am

hello, seeing this thread i decided to sign up and give my 2cents

the way i do it, is through hexeditor, this is not the method for those who is too lazy to find the .pss files.
i already disscussed this topic on another forum.

http://www.auniverse.net/anime/msg/inde ... files&st=0

http://www.project-fao.org/
home to PSS_Demux, according to the author, there is a little problem with PSS Plex, so he/she recommends using this.
with this you can skip the MFAudio step.

also some games like FFX-2 international uses AC3 audio, Dolby Digital, i'm not sure if nova extractor can extract that, but i think hex can, if you want the ac3.

as for Kingdom Hearts, also from the author, Kingdom Hearts uses a propietary format which is protected very strictly, it is not made public. i'm not sure if anyone has break the code, i'm if somenone did.
the site is in japanese, so you might want to use altavista babelfish.

since i ran a search for the bouncer and found nothing, i presume it uses the Kingdom hearts thing.

@demonspawn & killer moogle
Xenosaga is PSS, so it should work, most probably when you split the image the pss got split too, that might cause the error, and since its dual layer dvd, its big, and i found the pss in image 2 of 650MB per image (from image0)

also on the site, there is a lot of tool that will extract the pss out of certain games, FFX2tool now works with FFX-2 international, so should work with NTSC U/C. And the good thing is it demux the audio in ac3, so no need to reencode, but the best thing is ffvii advent children trailer.

yes some games from bandai, seems always, the pss is straight in some folder somewhere, capcom too.

@demonspawn
for silent hill series, the PSS is only on the opening and ending. in silent hill 2 there is some more. Its hidden in a file, visible, just its not named pss. others uses in engine graphics, i think. but i do found .swf, (shockwave flash) and .3ds(3d studio). i never tried to play the swf , but did trie to load the 3ds in a 3d imaging app, Draw3D, which is free. Did not work. The 3ds file is one huge chunk inteads of pieces of 3d model, draw 3d can't open up that, i'm not sure if 3d studio will do that or not. The opening for .hack is there in pss straight.
Another game, Ace Combat 4, it clearly is the movie files, did a scan and none.

@disgust
Huffyuv is great. If you still want it in mpeg2, sure you can. The m2v is an mpeg2, only the video stream. You can mux it with tmpgenc, i'm pretty sure tmpgenc accepts wav....if not just convert it to mp2, or you want it in ac3 ? You can do that too.
If you don't need the audio, you can do that to, just select the m2v in the multiplex section of tmpgenc, and run. It will write the header but without the audio.
Of course the aspect ratio is not 1:1, if you play it on the wrong aspect of course it will look stretch. Some player can correct this, i think zoomplayer does. But mpeg2 decoder is needed to be install. Powerdvd doesn't need to.
Last resort run through avisynth, like castor troy suggest.
Just don't get caught when distributing .

Soul calibur 2 uses sfd (sofdec) its basically mpeg 1. if you find it you can demux with tmpgenc. Its hidden in .afs, if i remember right. Most sega games uses sfd

importing into premiere is long cause it need to parse the file, avisynth with virtualdub or virtualdubmod is good.

@Nallv2
i'm pretty sure mgs2 cutscene is in game engine, thats is why you can see the general in a dress like somebody's aunt. So it impossible to extract and play it. Unless they extracted the graphics engine, (pc version ?) and use that to generate it. I think its nearest possibility is in the PC version, i know you can't run ps2 compile programme, unless it emulates it. No matter how, be ready with the hardware at least.

@all
Also, extractor freeversion only alows 30 files, so you might wanna split the image.

@darkalex
if you want psx movie files, you need to use psx Multi converter. The movie files is in .str and not mpg. With that you can even extract the audio. Of course the resolution is 352x240, usually, hey its psone :P

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil.html

get BGM2wav too, from the mfaudio link by castor troy

lastly don't forget to resize to 1:1

if i'm wrong, do tell, i'm never right.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”