Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai episode 1

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai episode 1

Post by Savia » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:39 pm

Well, we havew now the first episode of GAiNAX's much-vaunted new series, which appears at first a mishmash of genres- scifi, romantic comedy and shounen action- reminiscent of many other anime that eventually proved to be jack-of-all-trades, master of none. The first episode to my mind was decidedly average, but is it really as cliched as it all appears, or is there some hidden depth behind it all, and behind Takeru's opening comments on his worth in the world? Does the (nicely enough factually accurate) preamble on extinction and life hold any further meaning? Or have they lost their touch?
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:35 pm

I've just seen the first episode, and it's pretty decent so far. Since this series is by the same guys who did Mahoromatic, it has the potential of being pretty good to absolutely pathetic (like those middle episodes of Mahoromatic :? ). Despite that, I'll keep on watching it since this one of their 20th Anniversary works (heck, that live-action Cutey Honey Gainax is working on looks distrubingly intriguing).
ImageImage

Calim
Org Profile

Post by Calim » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:07 am

I like this series so far...I think it has a great plot right now and oh lol Takeru was played like a fool near the end ^^

Lol sorry for the double thread *Scratches head* didn't see this one.
"Ass's are important in todays society, but....." -By Knuckles
FUNimation Kills my innerchild
Shippo is the PIMP of all foxes ^^.
Shippo Fan Club Member

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:53 pm

They've RECYCLED all the freakin' character designs for Mahoromatic and I recognize almost all the BIG voice actors too

Wth? running outta ideas eh? ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:55 pm

OmniStrata wrote:They've RECYCLED all the freakin' character designs for Mahoromatic and I recognize almost all the BIG voice actors too

Start reading this thread:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... ge=9&pp=20

This guy CorneredAngel from Anime News Network brought up some interesting ideas about Konomini.
ImageImage

Trident
Org Profile

Post by Trident » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:41 am

I thought it looked interesting--but then, I have an inherent trust of almost all things GAINAX. The thing that scares me the most is the fact that some of the character designs look like they come from CLAMP--I'm not particularly a fan of theirs.

It does look like a bit of a rehash thus far, though. I will admit that. Hopefully that's only a first-ep "let's get things moving" issue...
"The dice of love are madness and turmoil."--Anakreon

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:25 am

OmniStrata wrote:They've RECYCLED all the freakin' character designs for Mahoromatic and I recognize almost all the BIG voice actors too

It's pretty hard to keep coming up with fresh and unique new character designs for every show people make. I mean clearly, the same designer that did the characters Mahoro is doing Konomini, but do you also complain about the shows that CLAMP, Keiji Gotoh, or Yoshitaka Amano contribute to? Now if all characters were carbon copies of their other-show counterparts, then yeah, that's when I'll start calling them lazy.

The first episode was okay. Some shows just don't give a strong impression in just the first episode and I think that's the case for this one. I'll have to watch a few more before I have a concrete opinion for this.

Takeru kinda looks like Devilman when he transforms though...
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:53 pm

angelx03 wrote:

Start reading this thread:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... ge=9&pp=20

This guy CorneredAngel from Anime News Network brought up some interesting ideas about Konomini.
Wow, that thread was really interesting. I really like CorneredAngel's ideas on GAINIX's philosophy. As far as the show, for those of you to lazy to click the link, there was a general suspicion that the show was going to lul viewers into a false sense of security and appear mainstrem then turn dark. Theve definatly done that sortof thing before (Eva comes to mind) and it's an original work so I wouldn't put it past them.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”