Yet another request for a video card...

Kiwilime
Org Profile

Yet another request for a video card...

Post by Kiwilime » Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:07 am

Mkay, this is my first post, Yay! I've been learning the ins and out of DV for a while now. Finaly got the hang of Adobe After effects and Premiere. I bought a DC10 Plus VC card a while ago, now its time for an upgrade. I've built myself the grand daddy of any system I've ever owned (Im a comp nerd). Here are my specs.

Microsoft Windows XP Home
Duel AMD AthlonXP 2100+ MP
1536MB of PC DDR
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM ATA/100 with 8M Cache (Two of em)
40/12/40 CD-RW
16X DVD-Rom
GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR
Creative Labs Audigy MP3+ (Going to upgrade to Plat EX at some point)

I was wonderin what sort of Video Capture card I should Upgrade to. I would prefer one that has Video AND audio In/Out. Cost isnt really THAT big of a problem, I just dont really wanna fork out more than say...$3,000 for the thing. Any Suggestions would be VERY helpful. :D
"I cant shoot straight unless I've had a pint" - Dwarf gunner unit thingy from Warcraft 3.
"This is my BOOMSTICK!" - Also the dwarf...

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:16 pm

DV500, 'nuff said. It retails for 500 dollars from Pinnacle. Pinnacle doesn't carry the orignal DV500 or DV500+, but they do carry the DV500+ DVD (It's the same thing as the 500+, but it has some crappy DVD authoring software included.)

Kiwilime
Org Profile

Post by Kiwilime » Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:55 pm

Kay I went to pinnaclesys.com and checked it out. Looks pretty spiffy. Runs for $649.99, which is nice because it falls way under my Budget for the card. Question is, how will it float? I have enough Raw CPU power and ram, but will the card dump the workload onto the CPU (Like the DC10 dose) or wil it at least attempt to pull its own weight?
"I cant shoot straight unless I've had a pint" - Dwarf gunner unit thingy from Warcraft 3.

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:25 pm

Now, I may be mistaken, and probably am, but I was under the impression that Windows XP Home Edition, only support a single processor. I thought XP pro was the first to support multiple processors. I believe its maxed out at 2 Then Windows XP server is supposed to handle something like 32, but its been since christmas since I did my research maybe its changed.
- "People disappear all the time. Why don't they reappear? FEAR"

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:40 pm

Kiwilime wrote:Kay I went to pinnaclesys.com and checked it out. Looks pretty spiffy. Runs for $649.99, which is nice because it falls way under my Budget for the card. Question is, how will it float? I have enough Raw CPU power and ram, but will the card dump the workload onto the CPU (Like the DC10 dose) or wil it at least attempt to pull its own weight?
Well, I don't have one, but Kusoyaro and ErMaC do. As far as I know, it runs pretty good on ErMaC's system, which he has..lemme see...

Abit VP6 Motherboard with dual 700MHz Pentium IIIs overclocked to 933MHZ.

I don't know how much RAM he has though.

Kiwilime
Org Profile

Post by Kiwilime » Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:07 pm

Kay, well its worth a shot. On the topic of XP, I havent had any problems, must be doin somethin right. Thanks for the help, all. Ill letcha know how it works out. :)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:00 pm

DV500 was originally designed for realtime effects on DV streams. I guess Pinnacle was able to change the drivers in such a way to allow mpeg2 imports. Not sure if there is a a slowdown in speed when going to DVD, I don't believe so. We'll have to wait for ErMaC to post and tell us ;)

BTW you can get them for as cheap as $450 off of pricewatch.com. I've seen some go off of Ebay for $350.

~klinky

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:21 pm

Kiwilime wrote:Kay, well its worth a shot. On the topic of XP, I havent had any problems, must be doin somethin right. Thanks for the help, all. Ill letcha know how it works out. :)
From the MS Web page
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... oosing.asp
"Some additional features found only in Windows XP Professional are:...Support for multiple-processor systems..."

Your system may still run, but on only one CPU.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:22 am

Actually I have no idea how fast the Pinnacle MPEG2 import is because I've never used it.

See, Pinnacle stopped supporting Premiere 5.1 after the 2.01 driver release. They're now on v4. Guess what version I'm still running? 2.01 - because I like Premiere 5.1 (and FYI the MPEG2 import was introduced in v3 of the drivers).

When I return from Japan and start fresh with a new system install I will most likely upgrade... but I'm not awaiting that day with much anticipation because I will miss Premiere 5.1. I guess I'm just old skool like that. :)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:35 am

Doh! That's right, I forgot ;)

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”