Anime Expo AMV Competition Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
RurouniJedi
Org Profile

Post by RurouniJedi » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:33 pm

This was a pretty bad contest... but ya gotta give them at least a little break, the AMV Contest was under new management this year, right? But at any rate, I'm actually happy they had problems... my video didn't get in, but a friend of mine's did(Jason Tennant's "Rose Rhythms")... and because of the problems they had with the video, they played the original file, with the bumpers I made for it!(it was that weird Rubix Cube). So at least SOMETHING of mine was shown! Heh. But all in all, I don't think it was a waste or anything... but then, I only live an hour from AX. Heh heh.

The Rurouni Jedi

Mag Launcher
Org Profile

Post by Mag Launcher » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:36 pm

They better fix this piece of crap before next year because if I fly there only to get fed this shit I'll murder whoever Im there with. XP
CYRAX - Visit my site at <a href="http://maglauncher.net">http://maglauncher.net</a>

Epochof7
Org Profile

Post by Epochof7 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:42 pm

I'd say the best part about AX was chilling with other AMV guys, with special note to Machine and Vash of Cucumber Studios :)

When Machine and I were running around harassing cosplayers, we had a bit of a talk about the contest, and AX overall. I think we both decided that there was no end to the suck. Man, you should see the tirade that Carlos recorded on tape :mrgreen:

Contest:

The first phrase that comes to mind when I think about it is "Donkey Cock". There were TOO MANY MAJOR FLAWS for me to overlook that every contest has trouble. Delaying the contest so that the footage can be corrected is grevious, but understandable at the very least. Putting it at 8 fucking AM was not cool, though, and rushing the contest through in the fashion that I felt had happened was humiliating and aggrivating. Though, while I'd like to note that the people running it were nice, any con that attracts over 9,000 registrants by the end of the first day of the con should NOT have the troubles that we suffered.

Anime Expo in General:
I think I remembering Machine decide that the only good part about Anime Expo was the dealer's room, and everything else sucked. I think when we asked "Does Anime Expo suck this year?" to people that were waiting in the easily quarter mile long line for the dealer's room, a good half of them threw up their hands.

I think the most con-related fun I had was chasing the weird cosplayer dressed up as some tall black monster from Vampire Princess Miyu, trying to figure out if it was a guy or a girl under there. That, and listening to a violin/chello duet version of Karou/Frog's theme from Chrono Trigger. Beyond that, it wasn't worth the $40 I paid for a 2 day pass.

anneke
Org Profile

Larva

Post by anneke » Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:45 pm

The large black thing from Vampire Princess Miyu was Larva. The large 7 foot tall one was worn by my best friend, who is a female. hehehe

Anneke

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:14 pm

I think when we asked "Does Anime Expo suck this year?" to people that were waiting in the easily quarter mile long line for the dealer's room, a good half of them threw up their hands.
LMAO.... that line was SOOOOOOOOOOO easy to cut :lol:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:22 pm

[nods] it was actually pretty easy to cut.

Songblade
Org Profile

Grain of salt ^_^

Post by Songblade » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:56 am

Hi all, this is my first post, I'm not an AMV maker (though I would be if I had the fargin' equipment), but I study directing and storyboarding with an actual director in Hollywood so I hope that gives me some backing to say what I'm gonna say. This is the first AMV contest I've been to outta the 3 or so years I've been to AX and I gotta say....

Yeah, this AX AMV thing did suck :/

A few entries I just had to ask myself WHY they made it into the finals. Feh! And YES!!! My group and I thought that if Dragon Bebop Z had been in the "Fun" category, it woulda cleaned house. It was in the tradition of Tainted Donuts, so that was great.

I disagree about 6 Minutes though. The third time I saw it in the Masq was as enjoyable as the first time I watched it because of the audience reaction. And, yeah, I do think that's the whole point :) Arty post-modern thoughts, etc. etc.

I was also pissed off with the way the tech errors were handled, but hell... machines suck and I don't blame the poor staff. Bet they don't get paid, but get spit on way too much. And if someone screwed up my car that's cheaper than the $15k projection screen, I'd be pissed too.

I *definitely* thought that Spectacular Anime should have gotten SOMETHING. It was really enjoyable, it redeemed the crap that was Moulin Rouge in my eyes.

I also disagree that that extra prize should go to the winners of the categories. Give it to someone who was REALLY good, but didn't make it, like Spectacular, Enigma, Because She (FINALLY someone else loves Faye's past) or Devotion. And maybe a few others I forgot, but for God's sakes, those were REALLY good vids and though I also liked the CCS vid and cheered for it, it was too long and too.... *cute* and without much story meat as the three I just listed. Under other circumstances, I'd bet things woulda been very different.

I liked all the winners,d ont' get me wrong, BUT... if the "Fun" category was new, and no one had heard of it before (i'm only assuming, kill me if I'm wrong)... WHY give an award for it?? If someone *knew* about theFun category, they'd give so much more effort to makin' fun videos, neh? I didn't really care for Shameless Rock Video. Bootycalls and filters, it's what I saw.

Bleeeeh! Last year completely outstripped this year! Tim, ya shoulda got somethin' too! BAH! Ah well. Here's to hopin' for a better next year. Can't attend any other cons but AX, no funds :)

In closing, though, I really admire that all you guys do what you do. I spliced my first trailer last semester and rendering is saiite! x.o

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:37 am

Songblade...I'd like to welcome you to a-m-v.org....heh...Hope you have a pleasant time here....

EvilVegettoZ
Org Profile

Post by EvilVegettoZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:41 am

Ohh yea...I don't really care though that Enigma didn't win...I mean yea...I wanted to win something but I don't mind.....I did get noticed kinda though....Troy Williams asked for my e-mail address on stage so I was like "Yay"...heh....I just wonder why he wanted it...o_O

Songblade
Org Profile

Post by Songblade » Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:02 am

EvilVegettoZ wrote:Songblade...I'd like to welcome you to a-m-v.org....heh...Hope you have a pleasant time here....
I... hope that was sincere ;) I was flamed on a-m-v.org for requesting Right Now once XD That was fun
<a href="http://www.wish3.net">Wish³</a> ~ What would you wish for?

Return to “AMV Contests”