Memories: Cannon Fodder

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Memories: Cannon Fodder

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:15 pm

Anyone care to explain it to me? I watched it and while the first and second stories were good, Cannon Fodder didn't seem to go anywhere.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:17 pm

Cannon Fodder is supposed to be a satire involving a town whose eveyday life revolves around a war with an unknown enemy. The main focus of this is a average family in this town, especially on a boy who dreams of being a cannon fodder (the one who fires the cannon) himself.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:44 pm

That part was blatantly obvious. I'm more interested in the ending. and the fact that the story never went anywhere.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:02 am

CaTaClYsM wrote:That part was blatantly obvious. I'm more interested in the ending. and the fact that the story never went anywhere.

maybe it just sucks colonquestionmark
I SUPPORT THE CHINESE MAFIA!
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:41 am

An anime that just sucks? God knows it's not possible. It CAN'T just be that simple. There MUST be some underlying theme/alegory. There is NO SUCH THING was an anime that just sucks. Except DBZ.

generalhs
Org Profile

Post by generalhs » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:34 pm

The basic idea is that there really is no enemy; the only reason the "war" still exists is because it's all the townspeople have to live for. It's the driving force that lets them live their lives.

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:39 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:An anime that just sucks? God knows it's not possible. It CAN'T just be that simple. There MUST be some underlying theme/alegory. There is NO SUCH THING was an anime that just sucks. Except DBZ.
Indeed :o
I SUPPORT THE CHINESE MAFIA!
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

NPC3000
Org Profile

Post by NPC3000 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:49 am

I think the point of the story is that a society that is raised on war will only desire war. These people live purely for the purpose of firing their cannon. It's all they know and because it's all they know, they can't evolve beyond that. This is demonstrated by the boy who only dreams of being the one to fire the big cannon. He is the future generation yet all he can think to do in society is continue the process of firing. It's a neverending process.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:24 am

I always had the nagging thought in the back of my head that there was no enemy. The people were firing their cannons like mad, yet noone ever seemed to shoot back.

Anime 51
Org Profile

Post by Anime 51 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:54 pm

Maybe the purpose of shooting the cannon is to distract the people from the conditions in their city. We didn't get much chance to see what goes there besides that.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”