Samurai X: Reflection

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:25 pm

TallonKarrde23 wrote:i think having a sword covered in blood shoved into your own blood system is a pretty good way of transmitting them :?
I didn't think Kenshin got stabbed that often. :shock:

You can bathe in a tub of blood without getting a blood-carried disease. You have to have an open wound, or have it in your mouth and cuts in your mouth, in order to get the disease. And there is a time limit during which that infected blood must find a way to get into your bloodstream.

Now, if Kenshin is cut open and the other person's blood pours onto that wound, he's almost certainly going to get any transmittable diseases the other person has. And if he gets showered by lots of people - on an open wound - he has an excellent chance of getting a blood-carried disease.

But AIDS was not common in Japan at that time. The chances of someone he killed (and whose blood fell on an open wound of his) being infected with AIDs in particular are slim. Other blood-transmitted disease? Absolutely. As long as he was cut when he did the cutting of others, and that blood fell on his cut.

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:59 pm

i think he may have gotten it somewhere in Trust & Betrayal. Most of the time he was walking around with the wound that wouldn't heal, and was constintly slicing people open and bathing in their blood pretty much.
Spoiler wrote:especially when he cuts right through Tomoe and that head ninja guy. Also, the ninjas spewed blood on him after he punked em

just my 2 cents.

StudioKZ
Org Profile

Post by StudioKZ » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:09 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:I didn't think Kenshin got stabbed that often. :shock:
There's an episode of the TV series where they show a close-up of Kenshin's body and it's covered in scars. He got stabbed and sliced open quite a bit in both the OVAs and the TV Series. (You can't really fight with bladed weapons and expect to not get cut).
...IT'S <gasp>

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=89045
I love fatties. HOT FUCKING!

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:19 pm

StudioKZ wrote:There's an episode of the TV series where they show a close-up of Kenshin's body and it's covered in scars. He got stabbed and sliced open quite a bit in both the OVAs and the TV Series. (You can't really fight with bladed weapons and expect to not get cut).
I never saw him cut or stabbed with a bloody sword (someone else's blood) in the anime. But then, I refused to watch past the end of the Kyoto Arc, so if it's in the Christian saga, that explains it. And the only time I've seen Kenshin naked was when he was bathing in the spring across the bush from the girls - he didn't have scars then, at least not where *I* could see them. ^_^;

I haven't watched the OVAs, but if it shows the scars before the anime, then they faded after that 10yr wandering. If they show up in the 'sequel' final OVA, then they happened after the Kyoto arc. So yeah - I've seen him cut a few times, but the blades were dry if not clean (they weren't dripping with enough of someone else's blood to cause infection). And any scars he had then (aside from his face) were invisible in the naked scene I saw.

Then again, I didn't see his bottom half, so maybe he was stabbed down there. ;p

StudioKZ
Org Profile

Post by StudioKZ » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:41 pm

There's a scene where he's being bandaged, I believe it was early in the Kyoto Arc (But I can't check right now... in fact, not until the second box-set arrives in two weeks or so...)
...IT'S <gasp>

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:02 pm

I believe while he was fighting Shisio when he was screaming with his clothes all ripped he had scars all over.

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:32 pm

ive seen him get stabbed plenty of times =/ I never said AIDS either, there are plenty of STD's that can kill you other then just AIDS. And yeah he obviously has a LOT of open wounds at times, specially as a kid when he was fighting for the gov't (or whatever =/ ) in that war (or whatever again lol ) =/ Kenshin gets screwed up as much as the next samurai guy, he just lives somehow :? But yeah, basically my point is, he has a lot of open wounds at times and still has blood flying all over him and swords cutting into him (making wounds AND carrying blood into them at one time cuz most of the time thye are already bloody...for some...odd reason =/ ) so i still hold to an STD being what killed him. :roll:
I SUPPORT THE CHINESE MAFIA!
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:10 am

TK, it wouldnt be an STD if he got it from something other than sex. it would be better to say a blood-borne pathogen rather than an STD which stands for Sexually Transmitted Disease. If getting splashed with blood constituted getting laid, then holy fuck theres alot more sex happening than everyone thinks.

StudioKZ
Org Profile

Post by StudioKZ » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:13 am

Even though they can be transmitted through needles or open cuts, etc, etc, etc, Hepatitis, Herpes and AIDS are still considered STDs because they are *usually* transmitted sexually. If a -usually- sexually transmitted disease is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact, that doesn't make it *NOT* a sexually transmitted disease.
...IT'S <gasp>

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:22 am

StudioKZ wrote:Even though they can be transmitted through needles or open cuts, etc, etc, etc, Hepatitis, Herpes and AIDS are still considered STDs because they are *usually* transmitted sexually. If a -usually- sexually transmitted disease is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact, that doesn't make it *NOT* a sexually transmitted disease.
Just more proof that the term STD is incorrect, or at the very least, fundamentally flawed. I'm not saying TK is wrong in that it could have been AIDS, but heaps of people have gotten AIDS from injuries, needlesticks, blood transfusions and things other than sex. Shit, it wasnt that long ago that it was thought that it was only a disease that gay men could get.

I'm just saying theres a better way of looking at it than an STD. did you know Ebola can be transmitted via sexual contact? But it isnt an STD.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”