Samurai X: Reflection

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:34 pm

Excalibur00 wrote:of course their son would have inheirted the gene for the deiease.
Exactly. If Kaoru and Kenshin had the same disease, then it couldn't have been genetic. If it *were* genetic, then Kenshin and Kenji would have gotten it and died - and Kaoru would have been the one walking by that spot at the end. If Kaoru and Kenshin both had it, it came from one of the following -
--living together (which would fit with TB, though Kenji would also be infected and could get sick in the future)
--from being intimate with each other (blood/fluid transfer - in which case Kenji *could* have it, but may not)
--being subjected to the same carrier (in which case it couldn't be leprosy or tuberculosis - leprosy is a blood/fluid borne disease, TB is spread over long periods of time and would have to be someone they both lived with who also had the disease - there's no such person in RK)
--casual contact (in which case everyone around them would also be dead - everyone Kenshin or Kaoru came near or touched, and most certainly Kenji would have died if his mother or father so much as brushed his hand at any time)

We know Kaoru got it, not Kenji. So that rules out casual contact and living together (which rules out TB). That only leaves intimacy or being subjected to the same carrier. So either it's blood/fluid borne disease or Kaoru was having close contact with whoever Kenshin picked it up from.

But it cannot be a genetic disease (unless by some fluke Kenshin and Kaoru's ancestors just happened to all die from the same thing and gave that curse to their children, who just so happened to get together one day and also die, also giving it to their children like some family hierloom). There are very very few genetic diseases you can give to your wife without having your mutual child die much sooner than she does. And so far, there's no reason to believe Kenji is sick with anything. I really doubt it's a genetic disease.

Besides, if you're talking about the disease Kenshin (Shinta's) parents died from, that was either an airborne pathogen, or germs in water and food - the sort of thing that kills within a week at the very most. I don't know exactly what his parents died from, but the 'plagues' were all very similar when it comes to the casualty rate and contamination. If Kenshin were going to die from that, he would have died when his parents did. You don't carry the black plague around for 30 some years and then suddenly fall susceptible to it. Either you're immune or you're not. If Kenshin survived it once, he's immune. He couldn't have died from it later. Regardless, it wouldn't have been genetic in that case. Just being in the same place around the same disease you're parents happened to catch.

Pickner
Org Profile

Post by Pickner » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:07 am

Could The disease Kenshin got been from Tomoe?

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:13 am

Pickner wrote:Could The disease Kenshin got been from Tomoe?
Absolutely. We don't know if she were sick with anything, but she could have been a carrier for some disease or another - the sort that can survive as a virus for years without every advancing into an actual disease. This would explain a flud born disease (intimacy) which fits with Kaoru catching it and not Kenji.

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:32 am

i lean more to my idea that he got the disease through transferring blood with many (hundreds, possibly thousands) of different people. Sword fighting in real life led to MANY disease transfers due to the open gash's in ones body and the fact that there is a lot of blood, especially on the actual sword. A lot of STD's and just normal diseases were spread that way, so i think thats the most likely thing =/

and uh yeah, i probably wont remember i posted this cuz i usually just check GA so yeah :O
I SUPPORT THE CHINESE MAFIA!
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:33 am

oh and, like i said STD's were transferred due to sword fights too, so that could be yet another possible reason that she got it AFTER she "took his pain" and/or what not. Because he got an STD, just not from sex.
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:25 pm

TallonKarrde23 wrote:oh and, like i said STD's were transferred due to sword fights too, so that could be yet another possible reason that she got it AFTER she "took his pain" and/or what not. Because he got an STD, just not from sex.

OK, I respect you and you normally say pretty smart stuff but this is definetly an exception. STDs are only called STDs because their primary source of transmission is sex. Otherwise they wouldnt be called STDs, would they? Now I'm not denying that you can pick up things like AIDS and Hepatitis outside of sexual contact with an infected person, but the chances are actually pretty damn slim of that happening, seeing as some of the viruses die very quickly after leaving the human body.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying the wording was bad.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:52 pm

I dig that picture

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:56 pm

Actually.....
Blood is a VERY good vector for STDs. The name is used because that's the most common vector. With blood, the infection percentage rate is much higher.

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:30 pm

Kalium wrote:Actually.....
Blood is a VERY good vector for STDs. The name is used because that's the most common vector. With blood, the infection percentage rate is much higher.
Like I said, its far more common for it to be transmitted via sexual contact as opposed to an incidental splash of blood. I never said it wasnt possible, just that the chances of the right situation being encountered are slim.

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:08 pm

SS5_Majin_Bebi wrote:
Kalium wrote:Actually.....
Like I said, its far more common for it to be transmitted via sexual contact as opposed to an incidental splash of blood. I never said it wasnt possible, just that the chances of the right situation being encountered are slim.
i think having a sword covered in blood shoved into your own blood system is a pretty good way of transmitting them :?
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”