the use of effects

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
rurouni_trelane
Org Profile

Post by rurouni_trelane » Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:30 am

One good thing to keep in mind: look at music videos you see on MTV or things like that; not necessarily for video-making overall, but for use of effects. They use effects as it helps the video; sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Look at ACDCs videos and look at Linkin Park's videos. ACDC uses no effects whatsoever in their videos and they're still pretty good. Linkin Park uses effects like crazy and they're still pretty good. It's a matter of having an discerning eye good enough to tell when effects should be used.
I believe in equality of the sexes and all, but hey, I likes boobs.

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:56 pm

Humm effects....I persoanlly think that the best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Making it look as if it actually belongs there ^^ That is impressive to me ^^

Also there are song videos that work well with effects so I think I am a little with both.

But I don't watch videos for the effects at all, I watch it for what the video really is. Sometimes even effects make the video cheapned like was said before.

Some people can pull it off...it really depends on the video and the creator.

Canned transitions....like star wipes and stuff....well.....I think we can be a bit more creative then that. use after effects, the power of the mind is limitless ^^

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:12 pm

Are effects helpful to AMV making?
Yes. It adds to Originality. Some variety of effects in a AMV can also help gain a viewer's interest (if theyre done correctly.)

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:04 pm

effects are really good, but you dont need effects to win contests.

i think effects are really only good for show and originality.

the use of effects can make a video more artsy too.

Id
Org Profile

Post by Id » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:30 pm

rurouni_trelane wrote:One good thing to keep in mind: look at music videos you see on MTV or things like that; not necessarily for video-making overall, but for use of effects. They use effects as it helps the video; sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Look at ACDCs videos and look at Linkin Park's videos. ACDC uses no effects whatsoever in their videos and they're still pretty good. Linkin Park uses effects like crazy and they're still pretty good. It's a matter of having an discerning eye good enough to tell when effects should be used.
you compare ac/dc to linkin gay park ? :shock: .......blasfimer :evil:
ok ok use of effects....music video creation is an art and as an art it must reflect the feelings of the artist . so if the creator feels like making an amv with a deep story and plot or just a mindless dbiskuitz video -_^ it's all him . i'm not saying i'm not enjoying a good action video but as a viewer i want to see well thought videos instead of a barrage of effects...but...as an editor i want to see a really good eddited video to apreciate it. effects are a way of showing your skills yes but the only reason they should be used is to give something to the video if they don't , keep it out of it and make a nice wellthought video , it still can be as good . if you manage to do both then you have yourselves a masterpiece . it's all about what you want out of your video

or that's what i think ^_^

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:45 pm

tool videos have CRAZY special effects.

rurouni_trelane
Org Profile

Post by rurouni_trelane » Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:02 am

Id wrote: you compare ac/dc to linkin gay park ? :shock: .......blasfimer :evil:
\:^O No I didn't! I was simply talking about each band's music video techniques; note I didn't say which band was better (*COUGHCOUGHacdcCOUGHCOUGH*)
I believe in equality of the sexes and all, but hey, I likes boobs.

Id
Org Profile

Post by Id » Sun Jul 07, 2002 12:00 pm

i know ^_^ i was just kidding hehe though i think they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence -_^

dilandau_sama15
Org Profile

Post by dilandau_sama15 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:07 pm

I generally shy away from effects, I try to do my best to edit the footage and fit it as well I can on my own.

Only time I use effects is when I try to convey something beyond the initial footage. And IMHO this is how special effects should be used...

Though that is just my opinion...

Dark Kamui
Org Profile

Bah...

Post by Dark Kamui » Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:06 pm

This topic has been discussed before...

Return to “General AMV”