Is PC or PS1 footage better?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Is PC or PS1 footage better?

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:03 pm

Going through my games a question came up...

Is PC or Playstation footage better on the same game?

My main concern is Final Fantasy VII so if it depends on the game then just tell me which for FFVII if you can.

Thanks.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:14 pm

I think it would depend on if the footage is pre-rendered video or if the game engine itself renders the footage. Engine rendered footage can have problems (missing or poor quality textures and objects, low framerate, etc). Probably to be safest, I'd go with the PS1 footage. If you have both the PC and PS1 versions of a game, maybe do a comparison.

Just my uninformed thoughts.
I'm out...

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:33 pm

I don't know about FF7, but I'm convinced that FF8 PC is just running in a PS emulator. As such there isn't a lot of advantage either way, except for the prerendered video. If it's anything like FF8 it uses bink video which can be extracted using the tools from the RAD game tools site. Capturing in game footage from the PC game could be tough. I don't know of any tools that will let you capture video that is being rendered by your 3D card.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:42 pm

well, FFVII has pre-rendered AVIs surprisingly. you can literally just click and drag off the disc.

seeing as how both are very old, im not sure if anyone can really tell the difference. their both bad to me. ^^

my guess is that the PS versions are much better though. if anyone can prove me wrong then just say so.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:30 pm

FFVII only:

IMO PS version had better FMV than the PC. The latter were compressed in TrueMotion they all looked quite ugly (noise & artifacts can be seen clearly esp. in dark blue coloured areas.)

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:47 pm

My guess is that the low-res output of the PS was just hiding the artifacting. Judging by the half-ass job they did porting FF8, I doubt that they went to the trouble of reencoding the video for the PC version of FF7. I could be wrong as I've seen neither version of FF7.

NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:46 am

PC = win in this situation.
nil per os

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:38 pm

Mask of Destiny wrote:My guess is that the low-res output of the PS was just hiding the artifacting. Judging by the half-ass job they did porting FF8, I doubt that they went to the trouble of reencoding the video for the PC version of FF7. I could be wrong as I've seen neither version of FF7.
well FF7 was ported by Eidos (American company) while FF8 was done by EA UK.... that may tell you something ;-p (them blimeys were all sitting on their bums!! nothing but scratchin their bloody bumholes! lolo)

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:49 am

i have pc ff7 and ps ff7 ....there very close to being exactly the same..thought pc looks a little better

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”