Evangelion Episode 23 Director's Cut proves the following...

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:15 am

The physical argument is moot, since, as mentioned, Shinji's plug suit floats in it. Likewise, there is a ship in Lillith's chamber (Terminal Dogma?), Rei's extra bodies float, and the Evas slosh about in it when in aforementioned chamber. Unless some kind of special condition applies, where LCL becomes less dense through some in-action plug mechanism, it's got to be an inconsistency.

Daio Kaji
Org Profile

Post by Daio Kaji » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:51 pm

yeah, i think they're just being very inconsistant

but really, it doesn't bother me at all, in fact, i like it, makes people have to think in abstract terms, don't try to reach deep and find out 'why?' all the time, learn to take what's given to you and run with it

since someone brought up EoE with Asuka bleeding freely (not to mention that everyone can talk inside LCL with no difficulty) wasn't there a scene inside Terminal Dogma where there was a ship floating inside the LCL...
actually, nvm, it wasn't in EoE, i think it was during the series when Rei was either putting in or taking out the Spear/Lance of Longinus (possibly spelled Caessius... i saw Passion of Christ last nite :D there was a dude that speared Jesus and that's about how the guy's name was spelled in the subtitle)

but yeah, since inside entry plugs, people behave as in normal air, it's another inconsistancey when they have a battle ship just kinda chillin' in Terminal Dogma... was it a patrol ship maybe?... since trespassers are suppose to be terminated anyways
If you're reading this, you've gone too far...PREPARE FOR RETRIBUTION!!
Don't judge an AMV by it's anime.. u nooB ;D

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:51 pm

Daio Kaji wrote:wasn't there a scene inside Terminal Dogma where there was a ship floating inside the LCL...
actually, nvm, it wasn't in EoE, i think it was during the series when Rei was either putting in or taking out the Spear/Lance of Longinus ... it's another inconsistancey when they have a battle ship just kinda chillin' in Terminal Dogma... was it a patrol ship maybe?... since trespassers are suppose to be terminated anyways
12 hours earlier and right above your post, I wrote:Likewise, there is a ship in Lillith's chamber (Terminal Dogma?)
bubble-burster :|

HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:20 pm

My question is, how can Rei float vertically, in the center, completely submeged in water (or some other liquid) in that tube in that one episode, with obviously no floatation devices or anything since she isn't wearing anything. Come to think of it, how can she breath? Must be LCL or something... not that I have a problem with that occuring, it just makes Rei more divine.
Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
Don't disturb me now, I can see the answers
'Till this evening is this morning, life is fine.

LittleKefalos
Org Profile

Post by LittleKefalos » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:52 pm

Thanks for all your posts especially Daio Kaji's.

I especially like the idea that by influencing the pressure in the plug it can influence the interaction (don't know who said that) of physical matter with it. They can raise or lower the LCL pressure and did so at least once in the series (when Gendo wants to stop Shinji from potentially destroying Nerv headquarters).

The one question that I always kind of had was the first time unit one protects Shinji. I don't disagree with the fact that it was his mother that protected him, I just think it is equally valid to say that it was his influence that caused the movement of unit 1 arm (like an adrenaline reaction can cause you to do things you normally could not do) he and Rei were in danger and thus could make his unit one move without being in contact. Gendo smiles at this, the question is he smiling because he knows what Yui did, or because he knows what his son is capable of? His smile looks more like a smile of confidence (which indicates to me Shinji), but who knows what the heck Gendo is ever thinking (except at the end)?

Daio Kaji
Org Profile

Post by Daio Kaji » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:38 pm

Tab wrote:
12 hours earlier and right above your post, I wrote:Likewise, there is a ship in Lillith's chamber (Terminal Dogma?)
bubble-burster :|
:? the time system is messed up (i don't have it accurately set) so it's not 12 hrs... i don't know when it really was, but anyway, that wasn't the only thing i posted about

so my bubble continues to float :P
LittleKefalos wrote:Thanks for all your posts especially Daio Kaji's.
:D thnx, but without the rest of the posters, i wouldn't have much to argue with :wink:
LittleKefalos wrote:The one question that I always kind of had was the first time unit one protects Shinji. I don't disagree with the fact that it was his mother that protected him, I just think it is equally valid to say that it was his influence that caused the movement of unit 1 arm (like an adrenaline reaction can cause you to do things you normally could not do) he and Rei were in danger and thus could make his unit one move without being in contact. Gendo smiles at this, the question is he smiling because he knows what Yui did, or because he knows what his son is capable of? His smile looks more like a smile of confidence (which indicates to me Shinji), but who knows what the heck Gendo is ever thinking (except at the end)?
i don't think it's equally valid, but if you want to make that argument, then it's not out of the question to think that shinji had a lot to do with the movement of the eva

you could think of it like... shinji is of course linked spiritually to the eva, it has his mom's soul, also shinji of course knows that an eva is a big giant robot that can move like one, you could think of the unpiloted movements of unit 01 as shinji's way of trying to protect what is close to him without actually having to risk his own body to come to harm

it's not completely out of the question that unit 01 acts out of shinji's most inner wants, it happens in another series as well..
Spoilers wrote:in FLCL, Naota in his own mind calls out to his brother Tasuku and Canti answers this mental call and helps Naota fight against the other robots
but i think the truth is that unit 01/Yui is always watching and if the need arises, she helps out her son that was so abandoned by the man she loved

Gendo probably smiled because he's such a sadistic bastard he knows that Yui has moved to protect Shinji and therefore has accepted Shinji as a pilot... and this fits Gendo's plan perfectly

LittleKefalos
Org Profile

Post by LittleKefalos » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:44 pm

Gendo probably smiled because he's such a sadistic bastard he knows that Yui has moved to protect Shinji and therefore has accepted Shinji as a pilot... and this fits Gendo's plan perfectly

Good point

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:26 am

The obvious (though not sole) answer to the whole "crying and bleeding in LCL" issue is that LCL is completely imiscible with water and much, much less dense. I personally like the idea that LCL only becomes clear and water-insoluble when electrolyzed, and when it is in its natural yellow form, it is soluble in water (turning red when that happens) and much more dense.

And yes, LCL is clear, as there are plenty of times when it can be seen through without any obvious sources of special lighting.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Daio Kaji
Org Profile

Post by Daio Kaji » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:41 pm

the Black Monarch wrote:The obvious (though not sole) answer to the whole "crying and bleeding in LCL" issue is that LCL is completely imiscible with water and much, much less dense. I personally like the idea that LCL only becomes clear and water-insoluble when electrolyzed, and when it is in its natural yellow form, it is soluble in water (turning red when that happens) and much more dense.

And yes, LCL is clear, as there are plenty of times when it can be seen through without any obvious sources of special lighting.
let's not try to contradict ourselves too much, but i know what you mean
it's not naturally clear, but it can become so under the right conditions

)v(ajin Koji
Org Profile

Post by )v(ajin Koji » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:53 pm

UncleMilo wrote:
)v(ajin Koji wrote:
UncleMilo wrote:
the Black Monarch wrote:Milo, milo, milo... when will you learn to stop watching Eva under the influence of LSD?
I don't have to justify myself to an idiot.

-Uncle Milo
Then justify yourself to those of us who are not idiots, unless you think we all are. :?
Sorry, Koji. I just am really getting fed up by Black Monarch. Since he didn't get the TV series, he thinks anyone who claims they did are liars and on drugs.

[explaination here]

-Uncle Milo
Thank you very much ^_^ and apology accepted ^_^
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”