Work In Progress Guidelines

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

XenoDrake
Org Profile

Work In Progress Guidelines

Post by XenoDrake » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:50 pm

The AnimeMusicVideos.org video servers are not to be used for incomplete Work-In-Progress videos. However, you should not be discouraged from finding a host and asking the opinions of others.

With approval from Phade, here now are guidelines for making and reviewing Beta’s which you can now share with the whole AMV community. Again, the org is not responsible to host your beta but some possible solutions will be listed below.

If you have a Beta of your video and are looking for feed back on it, first and foremost, footage quality is NOT an issue. For hosing reasons and for file size moderation, any Beta shouldn’t be more then 20 Megs. Compressing it to such a size is not bad for a beta, as footage quality should likewise not be judge, unless of course your trying to get feed back on weather or not you managed to make footage quality better using a technique, in witch case the video its self shouldn’t be to long and thus making it a small file size.

Finding small free hosts like,

http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/

http://members.freewebs.com/

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

http://www.doteasy.com/

or file sending services such as

www.senduit.com

www.megaupload.com

www.rapidshare.de

www.yousendit.com

And many many others is the first step. Most only allow a max of 20 Megs, and a gig a month in bandwidth. Some don’t even allow a single file to be larger then a few Megs. However, unless you can pay for hosting, they are the best way.

Second, remember that this is just a sample / teaser. You don’t need to upload more then a minute for people to get the general idea of what you’re trying to make. However in the post make sure to point out anything you as the creator are looking for in the way of feed back. If you are trying to make a certain effect, or possibly looking for a fresh idea to fill an annoying void of blackness in your video, point that out. The goal is not to have other people make you’re video for you, but to lend ideas for you to use how you see fit in making the video what you want it to be.

When making the WIP post, make sure you title it as such so as not to be misleading. For example, you would title your post something like

WIP-Full Metal Panic-Lip Sync

Or

Looking for some ideas on missing footage in WIP Beta

Just something so that people know they are clicking on a WIP thread, and not a finished AMV.

When reviewing a WIP video, remember to be honest and helpful. Footage Quality is NOT an issue with WIP. This is about ideas and editing. Look for what the creator is asking for, and give your opinions on things that caught your attention. Reviews for WIP shouldn’t be long, but precise.

The goal is to help everyone learn and get better all around, not just after something is finalized. The current reviewing system is good for finished works, but does little help for videos in the making that would have a small simple mistake that the creator must go back after its public release and fix. Remember to be polite and to the point. Including scores such as action sync or others used in the actual site reviewing system are a good way of reviewing a beta also.

Hope this helps everyone, and if you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask ^_^

~XenoDrake
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 512 character limit
www.myspace.com/xenodrake for tunes

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:04 pm

Crap the title is missing a letter...

Crzy_Tetsuo
Org Profile

Post by Crzy_Tetsuo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:23 pm

well, to whoever cares, I think this is a great idea, I just wish it had come a little sooner. But hey, better late than never right. I feel that this will be an easy way for people to help other people with new vids without bashing the vid too much, since its not a finished product. Its a good way to share ideas and to see what people like or dislike, without waiting to find out from a finished vid. I'm all for this WIP beta testing and will support it!
Great idea Xeno

Crzy_Tetsuo
Org Profile

Post by Crzy_Tetsuo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:29 pm

just a thought, shouldn't this sticky be in AMV announcements since its a wip?

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:42 am

I like to use lycos.uk to host yon random beta. Its free, rarely policed, and save me bandwidth on my .com account.

But they have blacklisted my hotmail account now. Its only real downside.
I guess that tends to happen though after trying to host the same HMV 14 times :P

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:41 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:I like to use lycos.uk to host yon random beta. Its free, rarely policed, and save me bandwidth on my .com account.

But they have blacklisted my hotmail account now. Its only real downside.
I guess that tends to happen though after trying to host the same HMV 14 times :P
only 14?? wow they blacklisted me for posting like.. 30 vids.. then the same hmv a few times.. but my one account is still up.. i never use my good e-mail addy for signing up for lycos.. and i gotta get my .org soon..

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:04 am

*salutes*

damn good thread.
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Dimbo_Sama
Org Profile

Post by Dimbo_Sama » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:50 am

I can offcially say, that Freewebs can't host for shit. Cause that's what I used, and the second I could get an FTP client I pulled that shit down.
Some Fat Sweaty Postman has my DVD of Oswald!!!

New Project: 05:14 of 41:47 done.

The Winster
Org Profile

Post by The Winster » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:05 pm

geocities is the best
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/AMV%20Fans
Click to join the audioscrobbler group for a-m-v.org members. Do Join!
;)

dragonballultima
Org Profile

Post by dragonballultima » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:53 pm

The best thing to do would be to use savefile.com or set up your own ftp server using Serv-U. Although when you shut down your computer the server goes down till you turn it back on so the files can't be accessed during that time.

Return to “Works in Progress”