FLCL - 01

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
7sigma
Org Profile

FLCL - 01

Post by 7sigma » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:01 am

First of all, greetings. Although I am a member for a couple months, this is my first post :oops:

Now, I'm sure we'd be better leaving GAINAX anime aside, but I can't.
In short: let's try and explain FLCL, shall we?

The episode 1 is pretty easy to understand after you've seen the rest of the series. However, one thing is weird: what exactly is Cantis? Why is it red and turns blue when Haruko hits it? And what was that hand-thing trying to grab him as he walked out of Naota's head? Is it Medical Mechanica? Is it with the eyebrows-guy? Is it Atomsk???

Feel free to post your own doubts and to open other threads for the following episodes.

Thanks!

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:04 pm

Canti's a Medical Mechanica robot (as Haruko says in ep 2 -- and if you look, you can see the MM logo on his chest), and the hand that's fighting him is half of another one. (The robot that comes out of Naota's head in ep 2 is the second half.)

I'm pretty sure that red Canti is Canti with the power of Atomsk (Amarao says as much in ep 5), esp. with Atomsk's symbol showing up on his screen. However, in the later episodes, Canti turns red after eating Naota, so it's not entirely clear.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Trident
Org Profile

Post by Trident » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:44 pm

First--hey, at least you're posting. Many people have been members for years and never have.

Second (and on-topic)--I almost think that maybe Naota is the channel for Atomsk--like, it's more a spirit than an actual physical presence with its own concrete form (hence Haruko's anger at Naota when he's "posessed" by Atomsk in the last episode--she says something to the effect of "It's mine! You can't have it!"). That's why Canti has to "eat" Naota to become powered-up.

Anyone have any speculations on what exactly Medica Mechanica is?
"The dice of love are madness and turmoil."--Anakreon

Alucard_FoN
Org Profile

Post by Alucard_FoN » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:56 pm

The impression I got was that Medical Mechanica was some sort of intersteller organization that goes around destroying worlds for no good reason. Or at least a reason that isn't explained to us. Maybe they "iron out" all the worlds so that they can rebuild them in their own image? Like interstellar real estate or something, knock it down, build new stuff, sell it off at a massive profit.

Daio Kaji
Org Profile

Post by Daio Kaji » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:26 pm

well no one said they were ever going to rebuild anything

either way, This Thread/Topic should help out or something :wink:
If you're reading this, you've gone too far...PREPARE FOR RETRIBUTION!!
Don't judge an AMV by it's anime.. u nooB ;D

Alucard_FoN
Org Profile

Post by Alucard_FoN » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:59 pm

I wasn't saying they were going to either, I was just speculating.

flora3535
Location: my own world but maybe i'll let you join the civilazation.
Org Profile

Post by flora3535 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:50 pm

http://www.animedat.com/frame.html
that explains it and it is understandable. :D just click on the side bar flcl explained. :)
..............Meg.............
he who laughs last thinks slowest.

generalhs
Org Profile

Post by generalhs » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:26 pm

Keep an eye on Canti for the other five episodes and you'll get a small clue about him. Notice he's collecting something? ;)

7sigma
Org Profile

Post by 7sigma » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:01 pm

generalhs wrote:Keep an eye on Canti for the other five episodes and you'll get a small clue about him. Notice he's collecting something? ;)
Exactly! What the hell is he collecting???

Thanks everyone for the help!

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:16 pm

7sigma wrote:
generalhs wrote:Keep an eye on Canti for the other five episodes and you'll get a small clue about him. Notice he's collecting something? ;)
Exactly! What the hell is he collecting???
According to Tsurumaki-san, he's trying to find (in ep 2) and paste back on (in ep 3) the part of him that was knocked off when Haruko whacked him with her bass in ep 1.

I love director's commentary tracks.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”