Audio Out to VHS problems

Tom the Fish
Org Profile

Audio Out to VHS problems

Post by Tom the Fish » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:50 pm

Last night I set up my computer to the VCR and got the picture to work fine, but I'm having problems with the sound.

The song I chose for the video has the vocals very strong in the left channel. The audio, when going into my stereo and the into the VCR, is only coming through right channel. I tried playing around with the balance which did no good. I then tried the audio in mono, which came out even worse...

Any ideas on what's causing this and what I can do to remedy it?

Thanks,
Tom

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:26 pm

I'm guessing that your stereo is connected to your sound card via a mini-headphone jack. If that is the case, then it is likely that the plug is not in all the way. Even if this is not the case it is probably a cabling problem. Try to simplify your setup by connecting your VCR directly to your computer.

Tom the Fish
Org Profile

Post by Tom the Fish » Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:15 pm

That's even worse, the volume is non-existant with a direct computer-to-vcr connection... and the same problem persists. I have swapped out cables with the same results as well.

Thanks,
Tom

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:47 pm

What kind of sound card do you have?

Tom the Fish
Org Profile

Post by Tom the Fish » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:23 pm

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz...

I've been using the same jack that I usually would hook my speakers into. The other jacks don't work at all.

Thanks,
Tom

Mask of Destiny
Org Profile

Post by Mask of Destiny » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:49 pm

Do both channels come out of your stereo? If they do than the problem is clearly the connection between your stereo and VCR (either that or your VCR is busted), if that is not the case then I would suspect either the cabling between your computer and stereo, the stereo, or your sound card.

It would be hard to debug this problem further without actually being there. All I can suggest is to try different cables, and to test your VCR's inputs using some other source.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:55 pm

I have this problem too. My recomendation is to burn your video into an actual MPEG file then export that rather than doing it through your program, this will often rectify the problem.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”