WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE TO MAKE AMV's, BESIDES PREMIERE?

Squall3X
Org Profile

WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE TO MAKE AMV's, BESIDES PREMIERE?

Post by Squall3X » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:13 pm

What do you guys use (what program) to make AMV's besides Adobe Premeire? That's like 500 bucks!
-Squall3X:
'I'd rather lose like a hero, than win button mashing.'

www.glowingquarter.tk
www.invisionfree.com/forums/Squall3X

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:34 pm

If you don't have enough ca$h then try out the free Windows Movie Maker. Or try to buy Premiere with the student's license or a used copy ;)
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:10 pm

This.
And this.
And...

...Bleh. Just look at the bottom half of this.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:42 pm

I use a fairly wide library of tools to do what can be done slower, with more system resources, in Premiere.

For getting video source:
I used to use a Dazzle DVC II capture board/pod to capture from VHS and DVD. Then I installed the trial version of Premiere. It rendered this $300 piece of hardware inoperative, even after I had uninstalled the Premire trial and cleaned the registry by hand, and I swore a lifelong vow of hatred against Adobe.
I currently use Virtual Dub to resize HQ digisubs to the resolution that I need, and TMPEG to turn them into MPEG2 files, while waiting and saving for a new workstation to drop the capture card into.

For audio:
I rip from CD or convert from MP3 (if I'm using something seriously obscure) using CDEx. Audio effects processing and editing (occasionally necessary) is with Nero Wave Editor.

For editing:
I use Dazzle MovieStar, which has somewhat of a "ghetto" reputation as a less than serious bit of editing software. It is weak on effects and transitions, but is one of the few editing suites capable of natively editing MPEG2, which for me is an optimum compromise between filesize and video quality. MovieStar also offers the possibility of real-time drafting, which is THE one factor in the speed at which I make videos.
For edits shorter than 15 frames (0.5 seconds), I now often use Virtual Dub instead of tanging clips together in MovieStar.

For effects:
I do not make a habit of heavy use of effects, and wouldn't even if my system had a better selection of them. I use MovieStar to do fade transitions, Virtual Dub for inverting colors, rotating the picture, grayscaling, and tinting, and a real-time video warper for everything else.
The warp system I use is called MEIMI, and is freely available from

http://www.seera.jp/Meimi/Meimi146.zip

though version 1.41 is a little better for my purposes. I use Snagit's video capture mode and Virtual Dub to turn the screen displays from the warper into workable files, though this may change as it involves some truly heinous framerate-change antics.

For export:
Shin Hatsubai videos for distro (as opposed to competition or demo showing) are first processed from MPEG2 into 3Mbps ASF, because this is the highest-quality conversion MovieStar is capable of. Virtual Dub 1.3 turns the ASF into an AVI, and Virtual Dub 1.4 recompresses to Divx 5.0. Video quality loss is minimized, and the audio track can always be re-swapped in if the ASF conversion chews it up too much.

The following components of the Shin Hats editing system are FREE and can be used in tandem to make an AMV without any other components, as I'm doing right now:
Virtual Dub (editor)
MEIMI (effects processor)
CDEx (audio capture)
TMPEGEnc (MPEG2 output)
Snagit (screen capture util)

I'd just post a link to my profile, but it's one of the ones still broken, so the text that says all this (without the use notes) won't display.

Right about now you should be boggling that this baling-wire-and-duct-tape 'editing suite' can even produce a video, let alone one suitable for competition.

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Re: WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE TO MAKE AMV's, BESIDES PREMIERE?

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:48 pm

Squall3X wrote:What do you guys use (what program) to make AMV's besides Adobe Premeire? That's like 500 bucks!
Get it with the DV500+/DV500+ DVD. You can find the DV500+ or DV500+ DVD on eBay for $300 or so. Don't get a DV500 unless you want Premiere 5.1 instead of 6.0. Oh, and it's Premiere, not Premeire.

Squall3X
Org Profile

Post by Squall3X » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:26 pm

thanks alot you guys.
-Squall3X:
'I'd rather lose like a hero, than win button mashing.'

www.glowingquarter.tk
www.invisionfree.com/forums/Squall3X

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:21 pm

No problem, newbie. I've grown to like you...:P

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:08 pm

Bah posting practically the same subject twice with different subjects and the subjects all being in caps.... I think it deserves a

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:13 pm

Any Linux user here? I wonder what software you use for video editing? Coz if there's something like Premiere then I'd migrate to Linux :)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:18 pm

Loonix boy Trythil uses <a href="http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3">Cinerella</a>.

~klinky

Return to “Video Editing Software”