Scrapped Princess ending (spoilers)

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Trident
Org Profile

Scrapped Princess ending (spoilers)

Post by Trident » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:16 pm

Was anyone else somewhat confused by the science of the series? I mean, it's sort of a Matrix type thing, I understand that. I can even forgive the massive slice of planet sliding miraculously back into the Earth without major natural disasters (though that's also stretching it). But I fail to comprehend how Pacifica and Forcis were both miraculously healed at the end. How did Pacifica magically dissolve, only to reappear in Shannon's arms, perfectly healed, after meeting with God? Was every person supposed to be a digital projection or something?
"The dice of love are madness and turmoil."--Anakreon

thatguy800
Org Profile

Post by thatguy800 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:53 am

definitely not digital projections...maybe...well....huh. Now I hafta go watch it again.

Arctyc
Org Profile

Post by Arctyc » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:34 am

The level of technology they're talking about here is like... multi-dimensional nanobots. So long as you have the energy, there's not much you can't do.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:21 am

So basically it is like the Matrix almost.
ImageImage

Alucard_FoN
Org Profile

Post by Alucard_FoN » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:05 am

I don't question the technology because the show is so damned entertaining. I just finished watching it for the second time yeterday in fact. It doesn't need plausability to be awesome.

Trident
Org Profile

Post by Trident » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:19 pm

I agree it's a fun show, and I enjoyed a vast majority of it (though for me it went downhill somewhat while she had amnesia). But unless I just missed something in there (which is entirely possible). But somehow I guess I still don't understand the nanobot thing. I'm willing to suspend my--belief? disbelief? anyway--of science in most shows--I never question Cowboy Bebop's technology, for example, or that of The Matrix. As long as enough gaps are filled... it's just a story. It doesn't have to be realistic.

For some reason, Scrapped Princess was just too hard for me to accept--or at least the last episode was. Maybe I just need to rewatch it and I'll understand it. It just puzzles me...
"The dice of love are madness and turmoil."--Anakreon

Arctyc
Org Profile

Post by Arctyc » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:18 pm

It is puzzling, and I often get the impression that they didn't *really* want to end the series there. But the technology source had enough allusions to piece together how it all worked.

I like the Matrix comparison because, while not accurate in a very technical sense, it gives a base for drawing conclusions from certain phenomena in the series.

The first thing to look at is the "System" that is mentioned a few times. This is essentially a massive control program/construct that keeps the whole planet running smoothly, through the shield. The next thing to look at is how the way they use magic is related back to the old wars. The spells they cast are heavily dependant on patterns and could be construed as artifacts of the technology used in the interplanetary war (voice activation?). The third is, of course, the Angels and the Dragoons. They clearly make mention and use interdimensional travel (I forget what they called the alternate space they could diffuse to).

The last episode os very vague, but when you consider how the human mind centered at the very Hub of this System which is in control of massive amounts of power and the same (re)generative and spatial technology that was present in the Angel/Dragoon/Golems, her decision to "set things right" included doing what she could to heal the bodies of Shannon and Pacifica (I make the assumption that some forms of destruction are irrepairable, else the series would've been some kooky war of attrition).

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:51 am

Having finished watching it about 5 minutes ago, I have a few thoughts.

-Can there be a SINGLE anime where the end of the show doesn't involve the world resetting/rebooting/massive changes/etc? Yes, I know there are several (Cowboy Bebop, for example), it seems like so many shows have had a reset button hit... Eva, RahXephon, .hack//sign, Lain, and now Scrapped Princess... even FLCL if you want to get somewhat technical.

-This is also the first show that I've nearly started crying from. I say <i>nearly</i> because I think I probably would have ended up crying if...
Spoiler for anybody who didn't notice the spoiler tag in the topic wrote:Pacifica hadn't come back. Because that just wouldn't have been cool at ALL. Her mom dying was bad enough as it is, but I digress.
-As far as the plausibility of the ending, I find it perfectly acceptable. As I continued to watch the series I certainly never expected the whole Matrix-element to come into play. However, there are some differences between the Matrix and the "sealed world". While the Matrix was used to use its inhabitants as energy and decieve them into thinking that it was the real world, the "sealed world" *was* real, just regressed, and even so had remnants of the old technology. By breaking the seal, Pacifica didn't drop all of Mankind into a post-apocalyptic world, she just gave them free will. It's a Matrix-Lite, without the icky consequences of choosing whether or not you want to be a battery. Now the people can go about their lives and not have an unknown force making sure they don't go to far.

Overall, I enjoyed this series. Definately not what I was expecting, and the amnesia thing pushed it a BIT, but it was a good show and I eagerly await an American release so I can take a shot at AMVing it.

-DOKool

ShistOMatic
Org Profile

Post by ShistOMatic » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:32 pm

I actually think Pasifica did release the slice into a post-apocalyptic world, but the thing to remember is that this apocalypse happed 500 years ago. Five - Zero -Zero - Zero. The planet would have more than enough time to recover from this. How it slides back perfectly into place like the hole was made yesterday is what brings me confusion, although she could have just cleared what was there away. As for the amnisia sequence with Fulla, that was very well done and essential for the character development. Think about it, this was the dream life that she wanted when she was moving around, which might explain the reverse amnesia when her memories woke up and she remembered who she was.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”