*stands up* Hello, I'm a forum admin.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:23 pm

Also I would like to add the fact that many did know who some of you guys were, even when you were hidden. But I had already heard from people that AD was a mod as well as Pai. So maybe it wasn't that terribly secret. Still the unwillingness to be open about it, was damaging in my opinion.

Also by personal-ties to phade-chan, I don't blame Phade for chosing him, because Phade can go beat Pai's ass if he does something wrong :p. And Ian is a trusted member of the Society of Classy AMV people unless he's eating kippers or drinking everclear/absinth...

:O

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:30 pm

Klinky, it wasnt really the type of response that kept us invisible, it was the sheer amount of it.

There's much less work on the site now in terms of moderation, so getting PMs, emails or whatever asking for things to be moderated isnt annoying, because it's not all the time.

Also, some moderators dont want to be public just because they dont want people to judge them on the fact that they are a moderator. I remember flame wars in the past just over the fact that ErMaC won awards at the VCA - as he'd also done a guide for the site certain members thought it was favouritism. That's the sort of response some of the mods would prefer to avoid.

I "came out" because everyone pretty much knew anyway and it would help as people would have someone else to ask stuff about. The thing that decided it for me was that I knew I wouldnt get as many requests since the OT forums were gone (for better or for worse).

paizuri
Org Profile

this is a book, i should publish it

Post by paizuri » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:37 pm

I "came out" as it were because I figured I could do more good in public as opposed to being hidden. There are advantages and disadvantages to both the invisomod and the public mod system, but when Phade first chose moderators, he believed that invisible moderation was the way to go so we (or they rather, since I was not a mod at the time) abided by that decision. Now, it is our prerogative whether or not we choose to reveal ourselves and I figured I'd do more good out in public than staying hidden. I don't expect every mod to reveal themselves and I really don't want them to just because Ian and I did. This is not meant to be a form of peer pressure, but just my personal choice.

Nor do I expect (or want) everyone to suddenly respect the Big Bad Forum Admin. Treat me like a human being, which is how I think we should ALL be treating each other. None of this n00b or pro or elitist bullshit. Personally, I don't care how many great or shitty videos you've made, if you're an asshole here, I'll still call you out on it. If that rankles any of you that Phade chose me to moderate here because he knows me personally and knows firsthand how objective I am as opposed to how many AMVs I've made, well go ahead and make it be known then. It doesn't take an editing genius to mod a forum and, according to some people here, the administration has a below average IQ anyways.

For any of you who harbor resentment because you asked to be a mod and weren't, how well do you know Phade? Do you talk to him on a regular basis? Do you actually try to get to know him instead of just asking him about the site? You can talk about how you care about the "AMV community" until your face is blue but it's hard to get the measure of a man if that's all you ever talk about. Personally, if that's ALL you ever talk about, I would think your quest for moderatorhood is more of a status symbol than an actual duty that you are interested in. I'm not saying you should make friends with Phade just to become a moderator, but if you haven't at least tried, I don't see how he should feel comfortable making you one with the knowledge he has of you.

And despite my non-amv creator status, I do know how to do at least rudimentary video editing. It's not rocket science to operate the software. :roll: Does that mean I should go to the video help forums and act like a guru? No, which is why I don't; I leave that to people with more understanding and hands-on experience. However, I do know how hard and time-consuming it can be to make even one music video and if I can't quite sympathize with that feeling, I can at least empathize with it. I came out because I care enough to try to make this forum better than the somewhat sad state I think it's in right now. Is it the worst forum I've ever seen? No, but it could stand some improvement.

As for losing the trust of your friends Klinky, I'm not even sure who these friends are. Do they actually talk to me? Have they ever contacted me randomly to shoot the breeze? Or at all? Have they ever asked me if I was a mod and I outright lied to them? Hell, in addition to warning people (as HCP noted), I've also said so in the AMV chatroom on occasion. Sure, no one seemed to be paying attention at those times, but it was said nonetheless. I feel any resentment towards me from your friends to be unjustified considering they haven't aired their grievances TO me (either directly or indirectly). If I think I've wronged someone, then I will apologize to them. If I don't like someone, I don't hide it and leave it to fester inside my head, I make it clear to them.

I will admit that there were problems here in the past, some of which still continue to be here today. However, not being able to move on from the past is NOT one of my problems and should be dealt with on a personal-basis. My coming out is an attempt to take responsibility for those problems and hopefully resolve them so that they do not continue into the future.

Is there anything else that needs to be addressed?
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

J-0080
Org Profile

Post by J-0080 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:42 pm

I know I sure wouldn't want to be a mod/admin here, it never really seemed like a very fun job. Anywho, you seem like you could be a descent one (at least) paizuri, so yeah, rock on.
paizuri wrote:There's also no need for introductions because we're generally a friendly bunch and will welcome you with wide open arms anyway.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:50 pm

There was an interesting sub-thread in here about ADD, but it was off-topic and had to be moved. It's good to see that there can still be worthwhile off-topic conversations, but for now, the OT topics are still gone.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:03 pm

They finally made Hsien an admin :shock:

;)

(seriously though Pai, good luck. Being management sucks, so my hat is off to you guys for taking it on)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:11 pm

I have nothing wrong with you Mr. Breast Fucking. You're a cool guy and that's exactly why I didn't think there was any reason to hide. The reason I brought up the AMV thing is there was a blankey exscuse put out that the OT people didn't make AMVs and weren't contributing to the site. I guess they didn't hang out in General AMV enough really. There is some logic to it. But the part about them not making AMV kinda falls through when one of the forum admins HASN'T EITHER. :|

And OT did offer to mod itself EarthCurrent, Veldrin, Kthulhu, Tab, Danny & others are doing a bang up job over on DemonSeal and most of that is purely OT discussion.

I didn't say they were your friends. I said they were my friends... And you didn't trust them >_< OMG </3.

I would post more and honestly I haven't read you or AD's entire statements yet, but the coke{snort snort} is wearing off... And I should probably sleep O_O.

And maybe we shouldn't have a debate about this, but maybe we shouldn't have a coming out party either :p.

HungryCrackPot
Spammer Time
Org Profile

Post by HungryCrackPot » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:57 pm

oh just cry, write bad poetry, slit your wrists and get it over with.
They stayed "invisible" for their own reasons, and until we have lived a life in their shoes, we won't know why. So leave it alone. For personal or professional reasons, they decided to wait to reveal themselves.
I know that if I had a forum, I wouldnt even reveal that I was the Admin, just to see what people REALLY acted like when they thought that no one was watching.
ImageImageImageImageImage

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:01 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:I remember flame wars in the past just over the fact that ErMaC won awards at the VCA.
*curtsies*

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:02 am

Welcome to... infamy. :?
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “Site Announcements”