How do I go about getting those PSS files out of PS2 games?

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:43 am

I took this from GameFAQs

---------------------------

Introduction, for PS2 FMV they put the movie files as PSS file. So every movie file that resembles videos in games or maybe cutscenes/real time are in PSS files ( most of them ) Some DVDs the PSS files can be found if you explore it but some like FFX and X-2 they are hidden and you need to find them.

Let us start off by getting these softwares:
1)Isobuster ( for creating an image of the game ) and VirtualCD 5 for backup purposes
2)PSS Demux to demultiplex the PSS file to m2v, wav and ac3
3)Nova Software Extractor 2.4 to extract the files
4)Tmpgenc ( to encode the videos to mpeg ) or DVD2AVI+Virtual Dub ( for avi files )
5) The File Splitter 1.3 to split the image into smaller files.

1)First, you open up Isobuster to create an image of FFX-2 which is 3.7GB.
2)After getting the image, use The File Splitter to split them to 1GB each.
3)After splitting it, use Nova Software Extractor. In the format section below, click on .mpg only then select the file and start scanning.
4)When you get all MPG files, right click on the file and change the properties from .mpg to .pss and save it to a location. Make sure to check the box at the left side of the file.
5)Then use PSS Demux to demultiplex the PSS file into m2v, wav and ac3 ( Dolby Digital 5.1 sound )
6)Use Tmpgenc to simple multiplex the m2v and ac3 together. Make sure the Mpeg-2 plugin is not expired. If its expired, you can't use the ac3 format file
7)Or use DVD2AVI to convert the file to avi then use Virtual Dub to dub both the video and the wav file.

-------------------------

I don't actually use PSS Demux, I use MFAudio instead.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

BigDude
Org Profile

Post by BigDude » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:53 pm

My goodness, it works! Thanx Castor! ^_^

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:45 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:PSS Plex will rip the video from PS2 games. Note that some games it will not work with and some it will but it still beats getting a capture card.
Bushido Philosopher wrote:Everyone, assume that I have tried everything in the past forum threads. Like I said, I even tried HEX editing (as stated in the thread I linked). I know all about PSS Plex, things at PS2MODS Paradise, RipPSS, FFX-2 Tool, the whole deal. I know it's a MPEG-2 based file. I know the difference between real-time and rendered scenes.
In your fury to get back at me you failed to read that I looked at that post and every other pertaining to PS2 ripping.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Post by keyboardsamurai » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:46 am

well then, I guess it just can't be done. Suck it up and record the vids off of your monitor with a cam. Other than that go do more research.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:43 am

I am much in your debt Castor Troy.

My schedule permitting, maybe I'll send a guide to Phade. I know enough HTML to get a decent one up. No promises though.

So yes, for those reading consider this a working method for Final Fantasy X-2 video ripping. Too bad there are only 11 videos though.... didn't realize there were that few.

I'm going to try this on the Kojima games next (MGS2 and ZOE2). But I highly doubt that I'll be able to get them working. I think I remember getting them somehow but then something was wrong...

Thanks again Castor.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:55 am

No prob guys.

Although MGS2's cutscenes are using the gameplay engine rather than movie files. So it's not possible to rip from it.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:18 am

A couple were actually pre-rendered. But yeah, you're right. Most of it is from the engine. I remember now. It was a tool on PS2MODPARADISE to rip the pre-rendered stuff from the DAT file.

Hopefully this will make it work.... *crossing fingers*

Geckolio
Org Profile

Post by Geckolio » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:23 pm

I registered just to thank Castor for that informative post, because I was clawing my brains out after trying the same stuff Bushido did. I just successfully made the image, here's hoping the rest works. Thanks again!
I've got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell.

TKDarkhaven
Org Profile

Post by TKDarkhaven » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:34 pm

I made the image (ISO) but Extractor doesn't seem to find any MPG when it searches. I did the file split correctly and everything :(. Anyone know something I could of did wrong?
"Hey guys, I brought the sandwiches- OH MY GOD!"

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:39 pm

Hey everyone...
OK... So I followed instructions
I downloaded installed and ran ISObuster, splitter, and then Extractor!
Mostly everythings coo...
I't doing what you guys said it'd do
But there's one thing...
I am only coming up with twelve mpegs (FFX-2 btw)
There is one that isn't showing up
Now, I understand about the cutscene thing... but the movie I want shouldn't be a cutscene!
It's the intro prior to the title screne (the credits with the piano song playing... lol)
Does anyone know about this problem?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”