2004 VCA Rules Clarification and Discussion

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Hi Phade,
Phade wrote:Hey Vlad,

I’m sorry if the “no non-anime music videos” stance seems a little sudden. The VCA comes only once a year so the spotlight on the site catalog rules does have a good bit of time between. In the past, such videos have been kinda tolerated since they were few and far between and usually Final Fantasy in nature. But as the site has grown, the frequency and nature of the “non-anime” music videos has drastically changed.
Yes, more and more are becoming somwhat hard to catagorize...
I apologize if the wording of the rules seemed harsh; I did not mean to offend. I was in the midst of the Off Topic removal backlash at the time, so I may have been a little on-edge when writing them. I did have the forum moderators preview the rules and the ones who read them seemed to think they were all fine.

The rule was not pointed at older members who have had entries from way-back-when and there was an understanding of the purpose of the site. The rule is more pointed at newer members who seem to easily forget that this site is AnimeMusicVideos.org. :-) The severity of the rule is a reflection of the unfortunate attitude of some of the newer members. The severity is meant to have these members take the catalog entries seriously.
Apology accepted :wink: . I do understand the issues and fustrations at running this site. I really don't have a problem at removing any non-anime videos from my entires and I do have them posted at my site anyway. What I'll probably do is just mention the ones I have in my profile description and since I have a site link anyone interested in my orther works can go there.

Pretty much I'm all for the community to remain a good place. Im my original post, I pretty much wanted to point this out so that not too many people get all upset over it, but 20 years of dealing in the fandom circle had probably gotten to me a bit and so I'm sorry for sounding so harsh.
If need be, the VCA can be postponed for a little bit while this and other issues are resolved. Postponement will only occur if it is needed. I currently do not see the need, but I can be convinced if many think it is necessary. There is still pleanty of time for members to "come clean" before possible disqualification.

Phade.
I don't see that being a problem. One suggestion I may add is to look at maybe making it in some way more general knowledge to the member of what he can and can't enter. It's been a big fuzzy for what is defined as "non-anime" and with more and more AMV related videos, it can get even more confusion and fustrating... I know this will be hard to control anyway since there are so many members and are free to enter what they want, and I'm sure the moderators do not want to spend tons of hours "policing" all the entires. My example would be the ErMaC joke I did at AWA... Technically it's kind of anime related but does not have any anime listings for it, so would this be allowed as an entry?

Vlad

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:58 pm

Hey,
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:My example would be the ErMaC joke I did at AWA... Technically it's kind of anime related but does not have any anime listings for it, so would this be allowed as an entry?
For the purposes of this site and contest, original art by Vlad Pohnert will be considered "anime". :-)
Corran Productions wrote:How will members delete the entries? I still don't see a link to such a form.
Unfortunately, I'm still working on it...

Phade.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:25 am

It's one thing to encourage anime because that's what the site is themed toward. It's another thing to come down on someone like a ton of bricks because of a live action vid or because their "anime" was actually a disney/don bluth film.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:42 am

CaTaClYsM wrote:It's one thing to encourage anime because that's what the site is themed toward. It's another thing to come down on someone like a ton of bricks because of a live action vid or because their "anime" was actually a disney/don bluth film.
Allowing Disney videos to be hosted and or linked from this site only encourages a potential lawsuit. Disney protects their copyrights quite vehemently and has a few more lawyers on their side then teh phade.
Better safe than sorry, imho. :?

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:31 am

Way to miss the point there EC. Please, digress the topic further. :?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:19 am

My question here is that the rule specifically says that you have a non-anime movie/series listed as "anime".

I.e. Music: Linkin Park; Anime: Matrix

but will the person be disqualified from the VCA if said non-anime video has no anime listed?

I.e. Music: Linkin Park; Anime:(blank)

This has confused me...

If my example(s) have confused you, this is what I'm talking about:
http://animemusicvideos.org/members/mem ... hp?v=21493

It clearly says it's live-action, and what I used in the video information, but the "anime" is completely left blank. This is what I did for all two of my live-action videos.

Since the rule says that the non-anime should physically be listed in the "anime" section, I'm wondering if it not being listed would make it count as a non-anime entry, and therefore disqualify all my videos, voting rights, etc.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:25 am

Hey SQ,

In that case, the video is in violation of rule #3:
2004 VCA Rule #3 wrote:All music video information in the catalog must be as correct as possible. For example, all music and anime information must be filled in correctly without errors such as "various" or "unknown" as the anime title, musical artist, or song. If a video creator fails to correct all of their video information before the deadline (listed below), all of the videos created by that creator will be disqualified from consideration this year. Video creators can request changes to information that can no longer be edited by the video creator by using this form.
Phade.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:33 am

~_~

Well, in that case, should I use the pending "remove non-anime entry" form, or the "fix video information" form? If I put "duplicate entry" it'd be deleted... >>
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:53 pm

another problem with coming down on non-anime vids is that the defenition of anime itself gets debated over so often. Some sides say it's an animation that comes from japan, others that it's a japanese word meaning cartoon. The one would disqualify some movies or series for being animated in the US, while qualifying others for being in japan. Meanwhile the other would qualify anything animated.

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:01 pm

Are you still talking CaT? :roll:

Return to “Site Announcements”