2004 VCA Rules Clarification and Discussion

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

2004 VCA Rules Clarification and Discussion

Post by Phade » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:57 pm

Hey All,

It is come to my attention that some points of this year’s VCA rules are kinda confusing and need some more explanation. As questions arise, I will do my best to clarify them here.
Rule #5 wrote:Members must not have any completely "non-anime" video entries. Members who have created a catalog entry where all of the "anime" listed is actually "non-anime", that member will have all of their videos disqualified from this year's contest and will not be able to participate in this year's contest (nominations, voting, etc.). Members may "come clean" and be allowed to participate in this year's contest by using this form to remove incorrect video entries.
The purpose of this rule is to greatly discourage non-anime music video entries into the database and ultimately files on the storage server. This rule is aimed at people who have created catalog entries of 100% “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and such. These entries, while they may be good and enjoyable videos, have very little to do with anime music videos. Though you as the video creator may consider these entries as “completing my listings”, such listings do not work to focus the site on anime music videos and may inadvertently encourage other non-anime music video catalog entries.

However, for the purposes of this contest, some special case source listings will be considered “anime”, such as anime-style game cut scene footage (Final Fantasy), original art by EK (Road to Iron Chef), and so on. This will allow these videos and the rest of the creators’ videos to participate in this year’s contest. This “anime” indication is currently being finalized with the use of admin tools.

I (and I am sure you) do not want to see legitimate (and especially good) videos needlessly disqualified from the year’s awards recognition. Harsh penalties are put in place to deter the general members who do not stop and think what this site is all about: the enjoyment of anime music videos. The best way to keep junk entries out of the catalog is to give people a good reason not to put junk entries into the catalog. I believe disqualification from the VCA is a good motivation to have a member clean up their own entries.

Again, you are welcome to pose questions here and I will do my best to answer them as best I can.

Phade.

Fluxmeister
Org Profile

Post by Fluxmeister » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:44 am

...just waiting patiently for "this form" to be an actual link.

I don't really mind removing the one non-anime video I have from the database, though I know it will be a hassle for others... well maybe. I cannot understand the difficulty of removing a video. :?

Although if this breaks anything in the database ... then I'll think this was a really stupid idea.
| NHMK Music Video Downloads | Editing like it's 2006. |

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:35 am

Why can't we just click a box that says "This video will not qualify for the VCA's"?

I would very much mind if I had to remove my live action video from the database. I use the org primarily for feedback and removing the entry for my video would styfle that pretty significantly.

What I am still unsatisfied with is the ambiguios language and rules reguarding live action videos. Are they allowed? Are they not allowed?

If they ARE allowed officially on the website, purely as a refference and not on the donut, then why are they bared from the VCAs?

If they are NOT allowed on the website, then why is there a "Non-Anime" box that I can press when I make a new video entry? And if they aren't allowed why haven't they been selectivey deleted from the catalouges?

I can perfectely understand not allowing Live Action videos for the VCAs. Its your contest and its your site. But when a contest starts interfearing with the catalouging functions of the org I think its overstepped its boundries.

The impression I get is that Live Action videos get absolutely no respect on the org and its a real shame. All these problems can be solved by just adding a "Best Non-Anime" catagory to the VCAs. Its dumber to not realize the legitimacy of the artform and even dumber not to give it official sanction in the rules.

If the administration thinks this will cause a flood of non-anime videos, it won't. Anime is easier to find on kazaa and works better with evanesence and linkin park than any live action movie would ever dream. And even if it does become a problem, 10 times out of 10 I would say its still worth the pollution to let grossly innapropriate videos be allowed than to delete a legitimate live action video made by a primarily AMV creator.

Thats just my opinion and could be the subject of a new thread. Again, why can't we just click a little button that says "this doesn't qualify for the VCAs" and deal with the abusers/offenders on a case-by-case basis?

Some finalizing statements would be appreciated.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:17 am

Great idea. by not allowing anything non-anime, it'll stop people from entering crouching tiger hidden dragon vids. But wait, I have an even better idea! Lets exclude anime as well! It'll stop epople from entering DBZ vids altogether!

I mean, going and judging a vids soley based on it's merrits seems to sound like a good idea. Unles your worried that the crouching tiger hidden dragon video is actually BETTER than the animes ones and ends up winning. And we all know we can't have that. :?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:36 pm

Hey Beowulf,

The goal of the catalog here at AnimeMusicVideos.org is to list every anime music video ever created. Live-action only videos are not allowed into the catalog. The catalog here is not trying to list every video project ever created by an anime music video creator; that is what a personal home page is for.

The reason there is a “non-anime” indication on source listings is because there may be some non-anime scenes in a legitimate anime music video. Some good examples of this are DokiDoki’s “Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title” and Akimbo’s “One Big Cliché”. Both of those are legitimate anime music videos even though they contain some non-anime video source.

Aside from the obvious purposes of recognizing and awarding great AMVs and AMV creators, one of the side purposes of the VCA is to encourage certain types of videos to be created and entered into the catalog. Creating a category such as “Best Non-Anime Music Video” will encourage people to create and enter non-anime music videos into the catalog. This is something that we are trying to avoid.

I, personally, have created far more live-action video projects than anime music video projects, but they have no place here at AnimeMusicVideos.org. I’m sure there are some general video web sites out there, but this site does not have that goal. Perhaps

Another side purpose of the VCA is to act as an annual “house cleaning” project. This is the time when illegitimate catalog entries are brought to the attention of the administrators and dealt with. It is only recently that the “non-anime source” indication has been put into affect (and is still being sorted through). It will be easier in the future to weed out 100% non-anime videos.

I hope this explanation helps.

Phade.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:25 pm

Hi Phade,

I can see your point of view on this topic I understand this being a Anime AMV site... BUT what's a bit upsetting is the way this is being handled. Now I understand you no wanting people to fill the database with non-anime videos. Granted I have some entries like that and before it didn't seem like a problem. I only listed videos that have been entered into a AMV contest such as AWA anyway and INHO I don't see whay is wrong with that in one sence... Fine, I can delete those...

My point here is that this was brought up by the VCA awards. After reading it seems to me that those who don't delete the entries get rewarded by being "Booted" out of the Contest and not even getting to vote. This to me seems a bit of a stiff award for doing something that in all quite honesty not deliberate. Fine, I realize this is your site, but it is also run by donation from most of use as well... I would of just preferred this to be announced and asked as a request rather than sounding like an ultimatum...

I sure this way not the way it was ment, but it just comes across like liek that the way it's written and presented...

Vlad

wolf_hunter
Org Profile

Post by wolf_hunter » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:52 pm

wat beowulf said

+ the fact that CONS due allow non-anime music videos to be entered in amv contests so not allowing them to appear here isnt quite the gift package u expect from the .org :?

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:54 pm

wolf_hunter wrote:wat beowulf said

+ the fact that CONS due allow non-anime music videos to be entered in amv contests so not allowing them to appear here isnt quite the gift package u expect from the .org :?
I only know of 1 con that allows non-anime music videos (AWA), the rest will disqualify you in a heartbeat. Just ask Beo about A-kon this year. :lol:

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:35 pm

Hey Vlad,

I’m sorry if the “no non-anime music videos” stance seems a little sudden. The VCA comes only once a year so the spotlight on the site catalog rules does have a good bit of time between. In the past, such videos have been kinda tolerated since they were few and far between and usually Final Fantasy in nature. But as the site has grown, the frequency and nature of the “non-anime” music videos has drastically changed.

I apologize if the wording of the rules seemed harsh; I did not mean to offend. I was in the midst of the Off Topic removal backlash at the time, so I may have been a little on-edge when writing them. I did have the forum moderators preview the rules and the ones who read them seemed to think they were all fine.

The rule was not pointed at older members who have had entries from way-back-when and there was an understanding of the purpose of the site. The rule is more pointed at newer members who seem to easily forget that this site is AnimeMusicVideos.org. :-) The severity of the rule is a reflection of the unfortunate attitude of some of the newer members. The severity is meant to have these members take the catalog entries seriously.

If need be, the VCA can be postponed for a little bit while this and other issues are resolved. Postponement will only occur if it is needed. I currently do not see the need, but I can be convinced if many think it is necessary. There is still pleanty of time for members to "come clean" before possible disqualification.

Phade.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:30 pm

How will members delete the entries? I still don't see a link to such a form.

Return to “Site Announcements”